News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Two degrees of warming; We are halfway there

Started by PopeyesPappy, November 20, 2015, 02:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

When NASA recently updated their Giss temperature record database to include October 2015 they announced it was the first month in the record to exceed the 1951 â€" 1980 average by more than 1 degree Celsius. It’s a significant number because 2 degrees of warming is generally accepted as the warmest we would like to see it get. BUT, the October single month milestone isn’t really that important to the big picture. It’s just one month, and it’s a deviation from the 1951 â€" 1980 average.

The bigger picture is that the 30 year average is rapidly closing in on one degree warmer than the same 30 year period 100 years earlier. According to the NASA data the 1886 through 1915 average surface temperature was 13.72 degrees C. The 1986 through 2015 (to date) average is 14.51 degrees C. The 2006 through 2015 (to date) average is 14.67 degrees C. Three of the last six years have been more than 1 degree C warmer than the 1886 through 1915 average. 2010 was 14.72, 2014 was 14.74 and 2015 (to date) is averaging 14.82. We are half way there.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Sal1981

There will come a whole industry of trapping carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in the near future.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 20, 2015, 02:45:54 PM
There will come a whole industry of trapping carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in the near future.

I hope you are right ... but usually this is done with biomass ... like trees and phytoplankton.  Human captured CO2 can be used to make soda ... drink more Coke ... Pepsi ... Coke ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

There needs to be a way to sequester the carbon to make sure it does not enter the atmosphere. Concentrations need to be monitored, so we don't trap too much.

Get started!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on November 21, 2015, 04:41:55 AM
There needs to be a way to sequester the carbon to make sure it does not enter the atmosphere. Concentrations need to be monitored, so we don't trap too much.

Get started!

Monitoring is easy.  Stopping the shifting all carbon production to China to avoid regulation ... isn't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

My expectation is that once anthropogenic climate change is so fucking obvious that only the clinically insane will deny it (a stage I think we're already at, but apparently no one else does), the same people as the current deniers will be the ones delaying doing anything because they want to waste time finding someone else to blame for not doing anything.

My personal long-term prognosis for humanity is not particularly rosy.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 21, 2015, 12:42:34 PM
My expectation is that once anthropogenic climate change is so fucking obvious that only the clinically insane will deny it (a stage I think we're already at, but apparently no one else does), the same people as the current deniers will be the ones delaying doing anything because they want to waste time finding someone else to blame for not doing anything.

Plan for future ... find a girl named Rosie ... and marry her ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

Quote from: trdsf on November 21, 2015, 12:42:34 PM

Thankfully Martin Sheen and John Oliver made a doomsday video. Sadly, he doesn't mention global warming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0igC-bDZ-Q
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?