News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest GMO

Started by Baruch, November 19, 2015, 05:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The best government money can buy ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fda-oks-genetically-modified-salmon-for-human-consumption_564dfe80e4b00b7997f98c57

Earlier ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/forrest-pritchard/weve-missed-the-entire-point-about-gmo-food----a-farmer-explains-why_b_8153978.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-frankel/challenging-the-giant-gmo_b_8223130.html

And the desire to prevent labeling of products as GMO/non-GMO ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gmo-labels-food_55b12fabe4b08f57d5d3f393

So basically, you won't be able to tell kosher from treif salmon in the US.  Eel ... which is being added to the Franken-salmon ... is non-kosher itself.  Of course there is nothing stopping one from adding pig or human DNA to salmon.

One can argue of course, that eel is health to eat in modern terms ... but like catfish, it is a bottom feeder. and this is why it was banned.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

I notice that every one of these articles came from the Huffington Post. Quite frankly, I consider them to be pop rags, no better than tabloids and the right wing shit that is also on the internet.

Quote from: Baruch on November 19, 2015, 05:00:08 PM
Earlier ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/forrest-pritchard/weve-missed-the-entire-point-about-gmo-food----a-farmer-explains-why_b_8153978.html
The only article of worth, yet the article itself doesn't say that GMOs are themselves the problem, but rather that they have been used to continue the industrialized farming paradigm that is really causing us hurt rather than using it as its better successor.

The only other issue that I agree with is that GMOs should be labeled as such, but even then it's still buyer beware because the definition of GMOs vary from expert to expert, yet it's used as if it's a definite term.

Quote from: Baruch on November 19, 2015, 05:00:08 PM
So basically, you won't be able to tell kosher from treif salmon in the US.  Eel ... which is being added to the Franken-salmon ... is non-kosher itself.  Of course there is nothing stopping one from adding pig or human DNA to salmon.

One can argue of course, that eel is health to eat in modern terms ... but like catfish, it is a bottom feeder. and this is why it was banned.
So it all boils down to obsolete dietary laws with you, huh? Are bacteria kosher or treif, because you eat billions of the little mothers every day. Or did you know that eel has nothing to do with the faster growing salmon; the actual fish is called the ocean pout, which is a ray-finned fish, and it has scales. Small scales, but scales nonetheless.

Oh, by the way, eels aren't bottom-feeders. They're predators.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

You don't judge a book by its cover do you?  Or do you believe everything you read in the WSJ?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on November 19, 2015, 07:32:04 PM
You don't judge a book by its cover do you?  Or do you believe everything you read in the WSJ?
I read every article you posted. They're crap.

I don't read the WSJ. It's also crap.
(she bites!)

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 19, 2015, 10:48:39 PM
I read every article you posted. They're crap.

I don't read the WSJ. It's also crap.

We'll at least you are consistent ;-)  Do you "only" read while on the john?  I gave up on that years ago ;-))

"So it all boils down to obsolete dietary laws with you, huh?" ... not obsolete, just first approximation.  They can be updated, but not by scientists working for R J Reynolds, who tell us that cigarettes are good for us ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Labeling GMO/non-GMO on products is fine, IMO. The rest is hysteria and pop-culture fueled views of what GMO is and isn't. "Frankenfish"? Do these idiots think cows, pigs, chickens ...., hell and dogs are "naturally" bred?

doorknob

exactly.

But I think the thing people are concerned about most is dna from things that we'd prefer not to eat being added to our food. Like as many say, scorpions. Though people need to realize scorpions are perfectly edible.

I think scientists need to come out and say hey we don't do that we aren't doing anything we couldn't do naturally we're just doing it much faster this way. Maybe release a list of what dna is being added to what and for what purpose.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on November 20, 2015, 07:22:43 AM
"So it all boils down to obsolete dietary laws with you, huh?" ... not obsolete, just first approximation.  They can be updated, but not by scientists working for R J Reynolds, who tell us that cigarettes are good for us ;-(
Obsolete. Any dietary law that prevents me from eating tilapia or lobster or clam chowder can go fuck itself.

Quote from: doorknob on November 20, 2015, 11:12:19 AM
exactly.

But I think the thing people are concerned about most is dna from things that we'd prefer not to eat being added to our food. Like as many say, scorpions. Though people need to realize scorpions are perfectly edible.
Bugs are actually a very energy efficient way of getting protein.

Eat your crickets, bitch!
(she bites!)

Mermaid

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 20, 2015, 06:49:42 PM
Obsolete. Any dietary law that prevents me from eating tilapia or lobster or clam chowder can go fuck itself.

Genes from scorpions are inserted into plant cells that contain the code for the venom that kills insect pests specifically.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: doorknob on November 20, 2015, 11:12:19 AM
exactly.

I think scientists need to come out and say hey we don't do that we aren't doing anything we couldn't do naturally we're just doing it much faster this way. Maybe release a list of what dna is being added to what and for what purpose.

You are very naive about scientists.  They are people, same as Al Capone and Dr Mengele, only high functional autistic.  There is no reason to add human DNA to sheep ... as the Brits have already done.  The reason for doing this, is the same as in the original Dr Frankenstein story ... because they can, and because they are megalomaniacs.  Elon Musk wants NASA to be his personal tool to build a colony of billionaires on Mars.  Even Nero wasn't that mad.  Though technically, Dr Frankenstein wanted to raise the dead, not develop a new kind of wheat.  If it were possible to develop an Omega bomb, like in the 2nd Planet of the Apes movie, people will do it, just to see if they can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on November 20, 2015, 06:51:52 PM
Genes from scorpions are inserted into plant cells that contain the code for the venom that kills insect pests specifically.

Which is fine, provided you don't put it in my food and drink.  Medicine production ... has its own bioethics problems, but it isn't something you put all over your three dee printed cell by cell fake meat burger (because I hate to kill animals etc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 20, 2015, 06:49:42 PM

Ancient people didn't understand how to sterilize the food ... it was undercooked, otherwise pork wouldn't have killed you.  But the folks who ate pig tartar ... died often.  Sheep have nasty parasites in them too ... cook hard, cook often.

I eat plenty of shellfish ... and I put milk products with red meat ... and I don't clear out yeast at Passover.  Or do you really think I live in a shtetl with Tevyeh?

Locusts are kosher ... but you can have my share ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on November 20, 2015, 07:45:28 PM
Ancient people didn't understand how to sterilize the food ... it was undercooked, otherwise pork wouldn't have killed you.  But the folks who ate pig tartar ... died often.  Sheep have nasty parasites in them too ... cook hard, cook often.

I eat plenty of shellfish ... and I put milk products with red meat ... and I don't clear out yeast at Passover.  Or do you really think I live in a shtetl with Tevyeh?
Which is saying that all those kosher dietary laws, which you flagrantly violate, are obsolete. Concession accepted.

Quote from: Baruch on November 20, 2015, 07:45:28 PM
Locusts are kosher ... but you can have my share ;-)
So you are against eating it because you don't like the thought of eating things outside your comfort range. Seriously, was that really so hard?
(she bites!)

Baruch

Yes, outside my comfort zone ... is rather important to observe that boundary ... perhaps you would like to eat human offal yourself.  But I object to giant criminal multinational corporations controlling my food supply, while having the FDA give them fellatio.  Nothing personal ... just doesn't seem a good idea to me.  R J Reynolds ... eat my ... shit.  And yes, rabbinical oversight can be bribed too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on November 21, 2015, 10:59:31 PM
Yes, outside my comfort zone ... is rather important to observe that boundary ... perhaps you would like to eat human offal yourself.  But I object to giant criminal multinational corporations controlling my food supply, while having the FDA give them fellatio.  Nothing personal ... just doesn't seem a good idea to me.  R J Reynolds ... eat my ... shit.  And yes, rabbinical oversight can be bribed too.
Shelve the hyperbole. You're still talking about a handful of proteins out of the thousands that make an eel an eel or a human a human.

Like it or not, our food supply is going to change in the future. Our old, naturally-bred crops and animal stocks aren't going to cut it anymore in the very near future, with climate change and the burgeoning population on the horizon. Those genetically engineered salmon were made precisely because the wild populations don't cut it anymore. Wild caught salmon is not going to be on your table in the near future. Your only choice is whether that's because the GM salmon is cheaper and drove wild salmon catching to a minimum while those populations recover, or because the wild salmon is extinct.
(she bites!)