Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rape culture and Steubenville

Started by Valigarmander, March 18, 2013, 12:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "AxisMundi"
Quote from: "Colanth""If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Up to one year in a juvenile facility?  Are they joking?  Who's throwing them the victory party, the judge or the prosecutor?

You can get more time for stealing a car.
No matter how trivial the felony, and some of them are very trivial, you get at least as harsh a sentence.  What they got says that what they did is a very minor E felony.  It's not.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Atheon

The whole thing about the media lamenting the future of these boys.... it boggles the mind. What about the girl???

If you RAPE someone, bad things are SUPPOSED to happen to your life. It's called PUNISHMENT for a CRIME, and rape is a crime up whose heinousness level ranks alongside TORTURE and MURDER.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "Atheon"If you RAPE someone, bad things are SUPPOSED to happen to your life. It's called PUNISHMENT for a CRIME, and rape is a crime up whose heinousness level ranks alongside TORTURE and MURDER.

Exactly! I'd go further and classify rape as torture, both psychological and physical.

Not that the sex offender registry isn't batshit, and should be disbanded or at least reworked so that people peeing in public places don't get thrown in with rapists, but damn, the actual rapists, like these two, I can't feel sorry for them landing on it.

And if the CNN reporting wasn't pushing the envelope - yes, that was disturbing - those tweets are just disgusting. WHAT THE FUCK???

Mermaid

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "NitzWalsh"People are stupid. I'm glad these kids are going to be labeled sex offenders for the rest of their lives. I wish that Canada would allow public access to the sex offender registry, I know some US states have public access.

As for those idiots tweeting about this being the girls fault, I hope they have a boss that sees their tweets and fires them for being asshats.

IT IS NEVER THE VICTIM'S FAULT! NEVER!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Knowing Brian, I'd vote for serious.

La Dolce Vita

Btw, was there a proper public outcry over the disgusting and immoral views expressed by the new anchors? America isn't so messed up that this just rolled by, right?

Mermaid

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Btw, was there a proper public outcry over the disgusting and immoral views expressed by the new anchors? America isn't so messed up that this just rolled by, right?
Not proper IMO.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Not much at all, IMO.  Maybe a small percentage of the population called it what it was, but most of the comments I've seen on various news sites seem to feel bad about what "was done to" the rapists, and how their lives have been ruined by this girl.  So I'd say there was a very improper outcry.

AxisMundi

Quote from: "Colanth"Not much at all, IMO.  Maybe a small percentage of the population called it what it was, but most of the comments I've seen on various news sites seem to feel bad about what "was done to" the rapists, and how their lives have been ruined by this girl.  So I'd say there was a very improper outcry.

I do not feel bad about whats going to happen to the rapists in jail. Not in the least.

Sal1981

Quote from: "AxisMundi"
Quote from: "Colanth"Not much at all, IMO.  Maybe a small percentage of the population called it what it was, but most of the comments I've seen on various news sites seem to feel bad about what "was done to" the rapists, and how their lives have been ruined by this girl.  So I'd say there was a very improper outcry.

I do not feel bad about whats going to happen to the rapists in jail. Not in the least.
They'll get their comeinassence.