News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rape culture and Steubenville

Started by Valigarmander, March 18, 2013, 12:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/candy- ... benville-r

QuoteShortly after the guilty verdict in the Steubenville rape case was announced, Candy Crowley took to the airwaves to report it and connect with their reporter on the ground for more details. Her lead-in to the remote shot was shameful.

Crowley was filled with sadness for two young men who took advantage of a drunk and possibly drugged young girl because the judge actually held them accountable for what they did. Instead of wondering aloud why they weren't tried as adults, she was instead very concerned that now they would have to register for the rest of their lives as sex offenders.

They are sex offenders. And now they're convicted sex offenders. If Crowley doubts the lightness of their sentence in the overall larger picture, consider the statement this morning from Attorney General Mike DeWine, via The Atlantic Wire

days," DeWine said, adding that "indictments could be returned and additional charges could be filed." He mentioned failure to report a felony, tampering with evidence, and "others" as possible charges. He added that the boys who received immunity were likely to retain that right.

DeWine gave a sense of scale to his office's investigation: 13 cellphones, 396,270 text messages, 308,586 photos, 940 video clips, 3,188 phone calls, 16,422 cellphone contacts. And that was just the cyber-crimes division, which prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter said was brought in on the request of attorneys "after Anonymous hit," referring to the hackers who brought social-media attention to the case and "put enormous pressure" on the victim. DeWine also said the "appalling" case involved closed to 60 interviews, but that 16 people refused to talk to his investigators, and that his office was seeking finality in continuing court proceedings in the matter. "Most of the 16 are underage," DeWine said.

"This is not a happy time for anyone. No one can take any pleasure in this. Every rape is a tragedy. This is a tragedy," DeWine said, moving on to castigate rape culture in general. "This happens every Friday night," DeWine said. "We shouldn't tolerate it anymore as a country."

Nor should we shed any crocodile tears for these rapists, Candy.

And in case that didn't ruin your evening, there's this collection of tweets.

NitzWalsh

People are stupid. I'm glad these kids are going to be labeled sex offenders for the rest of their lives. I wish that Canada would allow public access to the sex offender registry, I know some US states have public access.

As for those idiots tweeting about this being the girls fault, I hope they have a boss that sees their tweets and fires them for being asshats.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

AxisMundi

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"People are stupid. I'm glad these kids are going to be labeled sex offenders for the rest of their lives. I wish that Canada would allow public access to the sex offender registry, I know some US states have public access.

As for those idiots tweeting about this being the girls fault, I hope they have a boss that sees their tweets and fires them for being asshats.

I'm not familiar with the minutia of this case, but that "it's the girls fault" sounds awfully reminiscent of the mentality found in extreme Muslim areas.

Nonsensei

I wish the term rape culture hadn't been used. Feminist generalization mechanisms make me feel responsible for everything bad that happens because I happen to have a penis.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "Nonsensei"I wish the term rape culture hadn't been used. Feminist generalization mechanisms make me feel responsible for everything bad that happens because I happen to have a penis.
"Feminist generalization mechanisms?"
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"I wish the term rape culture hadn't been used. Feminist generalization mechanisms make me feel responsible for everything bad that happens because I happen to have a penis.

Inherent in the term rape culture is obviously the word culture. An entire culture is being described as being rape enabling and supporting. If that isn't a generalization, what is?

"Rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape."

Define "common". In some parts of the world rape is about as common as saying hello. Here, we conduct a trial and people are imprisoned.

Define "prevalent". Is it up to the person using the term rape culture? I have never felt like I was a particularly unusual person, so one would think that if an enabling and permissive attitude toward rape were prevalent in my culture I would share it, and yet I do not.

Am I a unique snowflake or is it perhaps that people use the term rape culture at opportune times, when a supporting example is readily available and fresh in the minds of the public for the purpose of painting everyone as contributing to a problem, the existence of which is assumed?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Colanth

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Up to one year in a juvenile facility?  Are they joking?  Who's throwing them the victory party, the judge or the prosecutor?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "Mermaid"

Inherent in the term rape culture is obviously the word culture. An entire culture is being described as being rape enabling and supporting. If that isn't a generalization, what is?

"Rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape."

Define "common". In some parts of the world rape is about as common as saying hello. Here, we conduct a trial and people are imprisoned.

Define "prevalent". Is it up to the person using the term rape culture? I have never felt like I was a particularly unusual person, so one would think that if an enabling and permissive attitude toward rape were prevalent in my culture I would share it, and yet I do not.

Am I a unique snowflake or is it perhaps that people use the term rape culture at opportune times, when a supporting example is readily available and fresh in the minds of the public for the purpose of painting everyone as contributing to a problem, the existence of which is assumed?
I bristled because it sounds like a generalization about feminists.

StupidWiz

Quote from: "AxisMundi"
Quote from: "NitzWalsh"People are stupid. I'm glad these kids are going to be labeled sex offenders for the rest of their lives. I wish that Canada would allow public access to the sex offender registry, I know some US states have public access.

I'm not familiar with the minutia of this case, but that "it's the girls fault" sounds awfully reminiscent of the mentality found in extreme Muslim areas.
Yup, and that's why this case kinda pissed me off. If you don't wanna be labeled as a rapist, don't do it. You rape people, expect your life(s) to be ruined.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

AxisMundi

Quote from: "Colanth""If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Up to one year in a juvenile facility?  Are they joking?  Who's throwing them the victory party, the judge or the prosecutor?

You can get more time for stealing a car.

Mermaid

The Onion actually wrote a satire story that is eerily similar just 2 years ago.
http://gawker.com/5991175/this-two+year ... l-coverage

Brian37

IT IS NEVER THE VICTIM'S FAULT! NEVER!
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

NitzWalsh

I just sent a message to my Member of Parliament that says I would like to see the national sex offender registry in Canada made public as a matter of public safety.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Jason78

Quote from: "AxisMundi"You can get more time for stealing a car.

Cars are expensive dammit!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato