News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dont you just fucking hate it when people try to convert you

Started by yoyobeerman, March 17, 2013, 09:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyobeerman

I personally hate it most when my sisters try to get me to "study" with elders from their congregation. They are STRONG believers in God, and they are JW's (Jehovahs Witnesses.) Share with me your worst experiences with attempted conversion, and how you handled it. Or why you hate it so much.

AllPurposeAtheist

I try to convert them to worship her dental holiness, our beloved Tooth Fairy! Guaranteed to get em to move away slowly till they feel safe enough to run! :shock:
By the way, the Tooth Fairy is the ONLY deity to pay cold, hard cash!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gerard

It must be difficult when coming from siblings or near family members. Fortunately that doesn't happen to me. I haven't experienced it from others a lot. Decades ago evangelists varying from JW to Mormon and wayward varieties of Pentecostals stood in the main shopping street of the city I live in and tried to start conversation. You don't see that a lot anymore these days, but back then I just told them I wasn't interested and be done with it....

Gerard

Brian37

Not really had it happen lately. But I do have family members who have thought it was the end of the world when they knew. Had to break it off with one of them because they sucked the life out of me every time I was around them.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Thumpalumpacus

It's been so long since I've had to deal with the issue.  My family knows I'm an atheist, they have for decades, and they know I'll simply say "no thanks" and move on.

For the JWs and others who refuse to take a no-thank-you-please (and those are very rare, too), I just ask them why they worship a god so hard-up he needs door-to-door salesmen.  Again, that's been an awful long time.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Davka

I have an aunt who is a Scientologist. She's been trying to convert me for years. I tried everything from a polite "no, thank you" to being downright rude and telling her exactly what I think of Scientology, and nothing worked. Finally I just stopped answering the phone when she calls, or letters when she writes. There comes a point when you have to say "if you won't keep your fucking crazy to yourself, then leave me the fuck alone."

NitzWalsh

I love it when people try talking religion with me, especially when they are trying to convert me. It gives me a chance to insult their beliefs and point out how wrong and batshit crazy they are.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

kilodelta

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I love it when people try talking religion with me, especially when they are trying to convert me. It gives me a chance to insult their beliefs and point out how wrong and batshit crazy they are.

Same here. A good laugh at what they say is always a good time.

Though I can see issues with it if it's a family member trying to do the converting.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Hydra009

Most people don't even try to convert me anymore.  They just assume that because they're uber-religious, I must be also.  I get in on the ground floor of some seriously stupid rants, but I can't help feel mildly insulted at being assumed to be religious.

SvZurich

I get extremely annoyed with Proselytizers.  Especially after I interrupt them and tell them my history with religion and how much research I put into it AS a believer.  Most of the time they are so fucking arrogant as to think they have something new.  I just end up wanting to punch them and then asking them to turn the other cheek and let me punch them again.   :evil:
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Hydra009

Quote from: "SvZurich"Most of the time they are so fucking arrogant as to think they have something new.
Aren't they all?  They always think they've got it all figured out and they can sway you if only you listen to a lecture by such-and-such or read his book or consider [insert rehash of cliche apologetics].  And of course, none of it is new in the slightest.

Teaspoon Shallow

I had a girlfriend who started to with hold sex unless I came to church with her.

Afterwards we use to have sex in the car before dropping her back to her home. :-$

Was a very strange time in my life.  :-?

Plu

That's a kind of attempted conversion I might be able to live with.

jonnytexas

I just tell them I worship Satan, shuts them up every time, and the facial expressions are priceless.
You mean all I have to do is say "sorry God" and all is forgiven?....I\'m gonna have some fun then

Seabear

It falls into two categories for me:
1. People who really truly believe and care about you, so they want you to be "saved" too. I try to be patient with these people - they mean well.

2. People who are trying to scoreboard for God. I lower the boom on these idiots. It's self-serving ego-grooming hubris, all in one.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson