News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Multiverse: not yet

Started by josephpalazzo, November 13, 2015, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Just like last year hype over the bicep2 and possible signs of inflation in the early universe, which turned out to be bogus, the recent hype over the multiverse seems to follow the same pattern: first hype then debunk.

We Probably Haven't Found Evidence for the Multiverse

GreatLife

I have yet to be convinced on the issue of a multiverse. Perhaps it is just too bizarre for a layman such as myself. He indicated in the article that it would take just a couple of years to get proof... I will reserve judgement.

Baruch

Scientists keep redefining "proof" and "evidence" ... particularly in the String community ;-)  But I do feel sorry for the folks who were hoping for interesting things from Bicep2 or that experiment that supposedly disproved the constancy of the speed of light.  Experimental cosmology is understandably not a controlled experimental based study.  One can at least get repetitive objective observations ... for things that don't change too fast (supernovas don't burst for very long ... but one can watch more than one happen if one is patient and lucky to be looking at the right galaxy (astronomers mostly study supernovas in other galaxies, because observing just the one galaxy, the Milky Way ... doesn't leave too many events to watch per decade).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: GreatLife on November 13, 2015, 10:45:02 PM
I have yet to be convinced on the issue of a multiverse. Perhaps it is just too bizarre for a layman such as myself. He indicated in the article that it would take just a couple of years to get proof... I will reserve judgement.

The biggest problem in cosmology is that we don't understand Dark Energy, which makes up 75%, and Dark matter, which makes up 20%, and so our current theory can only explain 5% of the universe. So we are literally in the dark. And the whole concept of "multiverse" is right now a far fetched hypothesis.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: josephpalazzo on November 14, 2015, 09:34:26 AM
The biggest problem in cosmology is that we don't understand Dark Energy, which makes up 75%, and Dark matter, which makes up 20%, and so our current theory can only explain 5% of the universe. So we are literally in the dark. And the whole concept of "multiverse" is right now a far fetched hypothesis.

Not nearly as far fetched as angry desert gods...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

GreatLife

I have wondered why the religious folks haven't inserted god into this gap. I mean... Dark Matter/Energy is everywhere and seems to affect everything. Maybe 95% is insulting god or something.

Baruch

Quote from: GreatLife on November 15, 2015, 11:52:06 AM
I have wondered why the religious folks haven't inserted god into this gap. I mean... Dark Matter/Energy is everywhere and seems to affect everything. Maybe 95% is insulting god or something.

It takes awhile for the theologians to catch up ;-)  Look how long it took for them to accept Galileo ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 15, 2015, 11:29:30 AM
Not nearly as far fetched as angry desert gods...

Have you ever been in a desert? I have, and angry desert gods are really real... Oh wait...

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on November 15, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
Have you ever been in a desert? I have, and angry desert gods are really real... Oh wait...

Depends on if you are wearing SPF 100 or not ;-)  Emolliate with the Holy Oil of Antioch, available for a small charitable contribution, at monasteries everywhere ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, as Greene pointed out in his book The Hidden Reality, there's more than one kind of possible multiverse. I was particularly intrigued by his discussion of the patchwork (or quilted) multiverse
QuoteThe quilted multiverse works only in an infinite universe. With an infinite amount of space, every possible event will occur an infinite number of times. However, the speed of light prevents us from being aware of these other identical areas.

This one doesn't require any extra dimensions, just infinite 3-space dimensions.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: josephpalazzo on November 13, 2015, 02:23:09 PM
Just like last year hype over the bicep2 and possible signs of inflation in the early universe, which turned out to be bogus, the recent hype over the multiverse seems to follow the same pattern: first hype then debunk.

We Probably Haven't Found Evidence for the Multiverse

If all observable data is restricted to that which is in our own universe, then how could it ever be possible to definitively prove the existence of another universe? We can't even see the proverbial sunlight and shadows moving over the water of this universe!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Solomon Zorn

The multiverse is real, because I read it in Marvel Comics, and I have faith in Comic books. :29: Those guys must have seen all those unbelievable event's somewhere, in order to draw them, right?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 19, 2015, 06:54:52 AM
The multiverse is real, because I read it in Marvel Comics, and I have faith in Comic books. :29: Those guys must have seen all those unbelievable event's somewhere, in order to draw them, right?

It goes with the theory that "anything written down must be real", ergo, the bible is true.:29:

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on November 19, 2015, 09:56:19 AM
It goes with the theory that "anything written down must be real", ergo, the bible is true.:29:

Back in the day, writing was regarded by the illiterate, as magical.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.