I have concerns about Judgement Day and the White Throne.

Started by 1liesalot, November 12, 2015, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesAbbott

Hijiri, I never claimed to be offering proof. Perhaps you should've read my post more closely.

The proof you atheists desire will eventually be provided, but that proof can only be given to you by God. It is not your place to discover proof or anyone else's place to offer you proof, because:

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Every one of us will be given faith, but each in his own order, as determined by God.

Presently, you don't believe because you don't want to believe. You prefer your sins to what God wants, which is of course natural and will only change when He determines you will change. So go on and continue in your foolishness, but you will reap what you've sown, be sure of it.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: MilesAbbott on December 04, 2015, 01:12:09 PMPresently, you don't believe because you don't want to believe.
I don't believe because I have no reason to believe. If you want to believe unproven gobldygook, then fine. But in the words of Galileo Galilei, "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: MilesAbbott on December 04, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
The usual arguments; if God is good, then why is there so much suffering in the world? The answer is, quite simply, that the occurrence of tidal waves wiping out villages isn't random, it is the wrath of God and judgment upon sinners. How do you know that those who die in catastrophes are innocent? I can tell you right now that they aren't. They are guilty of sin, and the Bible tells us the wages of sin is death.

SGOS

Quote from: MilesAbbott on December 04, 2015, 12:47:17 PM

Yes, I'm about to quote Scripture here, but as my beliefs are based upon the Bible, which I believe to be true, then it is obviously relevant. If you don't believe it's true, then that is your problem. I am only providing "proof" here as according to my beliefs.

First, you tend to make incorrect assumptions about how I feel about natural disasters to further your discussion. 

Second, I understand your beliefs.  I was a Lutheran once.  And I understand you are arguing from the Bible.  But that is irrelevant to this forum.  I will accept your claim that you have a firm belief, but that is the only convincing argument you can make, because proof of a belief does not equate to proof of claims.  This is always the failure of religious debates of the kind you are attempting here.

Third, this is not my problem.  It's a problem of lacking evidence to convince others.  If this is your objective (I'm not saying it is.  I rather think you are simply testifying to having a firm belief), lack of evidence is a problem you have to solve.  I no longer have a vested interest in religion.  I'm just awaiting evidence.

Blackleaf

Quote from: MilesAbbott on December 04, 2015, 11:24:58 AMThe usual arguments; if God is good, then why is there so much suffering in the world? The answer is, quite simply, that the occurrence of tidal waves wiping out villages isn't random, it is the wrath of God and judgment upon sinners. How do you know that those who die in catastrophes are innocent? I can tell you right now that they aren't. They are guilty of sin, and the Bible tells us the wages of sin is death.

Ah. So natural disasters are God's judgement against people who don't believe that he exists because he doesn't even try to prove that he exists for being unbelievers. Makes sense. Here's an idea. Instead of randomly killing a bunch of people who have no reason to choose Christianity over any other religion, why doesn't he speak out loud and remove all doubt? I'm sure a lot of people would gladly do whatever he says if he did that.

Quote from: MilesAbbott on December 04, 2015, 11:24:58 AMI will say that the children are an exception, and no doubt their deaths are fully tragic. What does the Bible tell us about the deaths of innocents?

Jeremiah 49:12
And this is what the LORD says: "If the innocent must suffer, how much more must you! You will not go unpunished! You must drink this cup of judgment!

Do not forget that Jesus Christ was innocent, yet He suffered a horrific death willingly. So to say that it is unfair, that God hasn't Himself drank the cup, would be wrong.

Tragic deaths of innocents serve a purpose - what that purpose is depends on the situation, but in those like you their deaths serve to blind you and make you question the existence of God. You assume these deaths are in vain, and your unbelief in the afterlife exacerbates your anger. But if, in the end, these innocents are resurrected and reconciled to God, then does that not change the entire picture?

It's good to remember these verses:

Revelation 21:4-5
"...and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."

So God is too weak or incompetent to kill just the evil people who deserve it? He can't find any way to just target the ones he's really after? "They're going to Heaven anyway" is not an excuse for senseless violence. If he wanted to, he could protect and provide for the innocent children and adults, yet he decides to destroy them anyway.

And here's another thing, your logic is flawed. According to the Bible "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God," so no one is innocent. Adults and children alike are both sinners. What is the only path to Heaven? What the Bible says, and what I expect you would say yourself, is that faith in Christ is the only way to find salvation. Children who die without faith have no exception clause. But if you allow for children who are sinners to go to Heaven, why can't adults who have no faith go to Heaven? There are many people who are not Christian but are good people, who do more good for the world than the majority of Christians do. Either Christ is the only way to Heaven, or he's not the only way, and his standards are inconsistent and illogical.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--