Why the hell does there have to be a point in existence....

Started by 1liesalot, November 11, 2015, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

In logarithms, big numbers aren't so much bigger than small numbers.  So depends on the scale being used.  Also matter is only 4% of the observable universe.  We don't really know what the rest of it is made of.

Again combinatorics trumps ... a given 100 digit random number is one of 10^100 (googol) combinations possible.  Look up googolplex ... 10^(10^100).

The majority of numbers are irrational, and only a finite number of irrational numbers can be symbolized ... like Pi or E.  There are an infinite number of rational numbers between 0 and 1 ... and for each rational number, there are an infinite number of irrational numbers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: josephpalazzo on December 29, 2015, 10:31:44 AM
You should stop reading such trash.

Yeah, well, I read all sorts of trash. I've just finished Hidden Harmonies, and now I'm reading Love and Math.

After that, I plan to tackle The Theoretical Minimum - Quantum Mechanics, having finished the one on classical mechanics.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Yeah, well, I read all sorts of trash. I've just finished Hidden Harmonies, and now I'm reading Love and Math.

After that, I plan to tackle The Theoretical Minimum - Quantum Mechanics, having finished the one on classical mechanics.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'll give you a c+ for Susskind's lecture, if you can bear watching him munch on his chocolate cookies and sip his coffee in every lecture he gives online...

Baruch

Skip Susskind and just read Not Even Wrong periodically ;-)  Unless you read it, you can't tell if Woit is alive or dead ;-))

What is the point of existence?  Initial Singularity of course ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2015, 01:34:09 PM
In logarithms, big numbers aren't so much bigger than small numbers.  So depends on the scale being used.  Also matter is only 4% of the observable universe.  We don't really know what the rest of it is made of.

Again combinatorics trumps ... a given 100 digit random number is one of 10^100 (googol) combinations possible.  Look up googolplex ... 10^(10^100).

The majority of numbers are irrational, and only a finite number of irrational numbers can be symbolized ... like Pi or E.  There are an infinite number of rational numbers between 0 and 1 ... and for each rational number, there are an infinite number of irrational numbers.
Why???  Why would you post that?  You made me think so hard!
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Infinities may have driven Georg Cantor and Ludwig Boltzmann insane ... maybe Kurt Godel as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: josephpalazzo on December 29, 2015, 10:29:54 AM
Unknowingly, you've just described Quantum Effective Field Theory, which would say that a passing fish or eel does not effect the sun... Now, Chaos Theory says otherwise (a butterfly in China can create a hurricane in the Atlantic) but between CT and EFT, the latter wins overwhelmingly.

I appreciate your intelligence and I am sure you have a math formula that would suggest such things are possible, but you will never convince the less intelligent that a butterfly can create a hurricane or that anything on earth can fight its way through 4 million tons of streaming energy per second and then affect the sun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust