News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Byakuren vs Jorune

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, November 10, 2015, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

I, Hijiri Byakuren, am hereby taking up Jorune's challenge. Before we make the debate thread, I'd just like to get some clarification from Jorune as to exactly how we are defining "God" for the purposes of the debate. I'd also like to have us agree on some ground rules for the debate structure:

• Judges are picked from among volunteers. Each debater gets to pick one judge, and the debate moderator picks a third.
  • Each side makes an "opener" stating their respective positions on the issue.
  • The first rebuttal: each side gets a chance to refute their opponent's opener.
  • The second rebuttal: each side gets a chance to refute their opponent's first rebuttal.
  • The third rebuttal: each side gets a chance to refute their opponent's second rebuttal.
  • The judges each issue a vote, stating three reasons why they favored one debater over the other. (Complete sentences, please. :P) The winner is determined by simple majority.
Before and during the debate, the debate moderator may ask that specific information and/or clarifications be included in a debater's next post.

So, Jorune, do you accept these rules? If so, then come at me with all you've got.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

aitm

How optimistic of you to think he will come back.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: aitm on November 11, 2015, 08:07:57 AM
How optimistic of you to think he will come back.
Even if he doesn't, it'll be a warning to other theists that at least a few of us are serious about these debate challenges. :P

Baruch

Interesting.  I have seen this done one time before on another web site.  Guess most people have gotten out of the Student Council stage of development?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2015, 05:51:39 PM
Interesting.  I have seen this done one time before…..

in my…..er several years…. I have seen at least several dozen challenge to a debate, but hundreds proclaiming it was a class assignment.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on November 11, 2015, 08:11:29 PM
in my…..er several years…. I have seen at least several dozen challenge to a debate, but hundreds proclaiming it was a class assignment.

Yikes!  Ouroboros swallows his tail from another recent thread!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2015, 05:51:39 PM
Interesting.  I have seen this done one time before on another web site.  Guess most people have gotten out of the Student Council stage of development?
I was never involved much in school groups. Could you explain the analogy you're making? As far as I know, this is fairly standard debate practice on the internet.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 12, 2015, 12:00:42 PM
I was never involved much in school groups. Could you explain the analogy you're making? As far as I know, this is fairly standard debate practice on the internet.

There were parliamentary procedures before the Internet, some taught and practiced in long ago ages in US high schools.  What you point to, was modeled on what came before.  And rather more Parliamentary than Congressional ... or the first phase would be bribes ;-)  I am not saying it is a bad format, but modern attention spans and emotional immaturity ... limit the appeal for most contemporary people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.