Man Wins James Randi's Million Dollar Challenge

Started by FaithIsFilth, March 17, 2013, 03:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaithIsFilth

Seth Raphael passed Randi's three tests and claimed the million dollars. Randi admitted defeat. Do you think this guy could have legit psychic powers?

[youtube:2pisy2yu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_0E1XJP33E[/youtube:2pisy2yu]

_Xenu_

Nothing about this on Google news...
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PJS

Watch the last 30 seconds
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

Colanth

I think it's reasonable to assume that they both could have foretold that they would get us.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

Heh. That's very well done :)

NitzWalsh

I saw that title and thought "yeah, this has to be a joke." I wasn't disappointed.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

BarkAtTheMoon

Not bad.

I wasn't terribly impressed through the whole video, although the "predictions" seemed pretty impressive. If it's a computer doing it, then it's technology and programming, not anything psychic. I was wondering why Randi wasn't calling him on that.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Brian37

I think there is more to this. I would be a bit shocked if Randi really did cave. I cant see that happening unless Randi is getting so old that it is affecting his mental capabilities, that does happen the older you get.

I'd chalk this up to Randi simply maybe not understanding the illusion the person is concocting before I would really accept the bullshit called a "psychic".

Plus something like this if real would be huge news internationally. And certainly the scientific community would show a huge interest. I smell a rat.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

It is a joke, guys, but for charity in any case. Unless Randi suffered a sudden brain injury or brain disease I don't see him ever falling for bullshit, he is too smart.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"Not bad.

I wasn't terribly impressed through the whole video, although the "predictions" seemed pretty impressive. If it's a computer doing it, then it's technology and programming, not anything psychic. I was wondering why Randi wasn't calling him on that.
Through the first part I was ready to call a "Clark" on it, but then it started becoming a bit obvious that Randi wasn't being Randi.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

St Giordano Bruno

Does psychic powers cause alopecia?
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Plu

It's actually the part where the guy claims to read the computer's memory that is most unlikely. That's the one where I immediately assumed a scam. It was only amplified when he said "this is the closest I can get", which makes absolutely no sense to anyone who knows how a computer stores imagery.

The average hard disk these days stores about 1,099,511,627,776 blocks of information. Good luck sifting through that, even if you can somehow read the data through the casing. And then if you somehow manage to find the image... it's not stored human representable, which means you will either know how to convert a .png or .jpg file to an image (giving you a perfect representation (or a headache, more likely)) or you will not know, which means it's just a garbled mess or numbers.

The others I can actually see being possible though. A computer being able to read a human's subtle changes when he spots the card he memorized on the screen through a sensor bracelet doesn't seem too far off. Likewise, a machine reading from the mind something you're heavily focussing on has also been done I think. But those aren't examples of psychic behaviour, just advanced machinery.