News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God exists because God exists

Started by jorune, November 09, 2015, 05:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Or you could make him do his own homework...  I got trapped in that by some kid who was SUPPOSED to be researching seed germination and found the gardening site I was at, at the time and just kept asking questions.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gregory

If God exists, my whole life is a lie.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on April 06, 2020, 04:37:56 AM
If God exists, my whole life is a lie.

You are a Cretan (a person from Crete).  In ancient times, the regular paradox was "I am a Cretan" ... because it was popularly believed that all Cretan are liars ;-)

G-d doesn't exist.  For the same reason that radio programs don't exist.  Only material exists (if we include radio waves as being materialist).  Human thought for that same reason, and software ... also don't exist.  Neural activity exists, but that isn't thought.  Electrical impulses in a computer exist, but that isn't software.  This is why AI is a lie, even if your life isn't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

If god exists, why not to show itself...

Is this the life we are living an exam whether we believe or not and according to our belief and way of life, we will be rewarded or punished afterlife.

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 08, 2020, 08:16:22 PM
If god exists, why not to show itself...

Is this the life we are living an exam whether we believe or not and according to our belief and way of life, we will be rewarded or punished afterlife.

I see and hear G-d all the time.  If you define water as not wet, then when you shower, you don't get wet.  Or are you "all wet"?

No, life isn't an exam.  It is purgatory.  Have you made your bed yet?  Shaved?  Taken a dump?  You have N days to do these things over and over until you get them right ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

God exists bcs I say so.

Argument from authority

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on October 03, 2020, 06:17:14 AM
God exists bcs I say so.

Argument from authority

human = demi-god, so you or I have that authority, given self awareness.  Politicians and clergy are not legitimate authorities nor are they self aware.  The sabbath was made by man for man.  G-d is a useful strawman for any authority.  Brahman vs atman vs jiva.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I am not impressed by a god who threatens punishment to his followers for behaviors he uses openly and often. Who does he think he is...Donald Trump?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on October 03, 2020, 08:24:53 AM
I am not impressed by a god who threatens punishment to his followers for behaviors he uses openly and often. Who does he think he is...Donald Trump?
I am evaluating whether a god of some type is even possible. That is to say I am slowly becoming a strong atheist. I can not find a testable definition of any "god". The lists of attributed characteristics often oppose each other and require supernatural exceptions to be true. I do still believe non supernatural but super advanced aliens are possible and probable.

So is anything "supernatural" even possible? There is ZERO evidence supporting anything supernatural. Just because we can think about gods (or even about ourselves), imagine gods, and dream about gods doesn't add one iota of evidence towards anything supernatural.

However my conclusions buck the cohesion of the tribe. People united in belief are powerful even if the beliefs are nonsense. In fact, the beliefs are more effective if they are nonsense and unique to the group. Cooperation amongst large groups of us has allowed Homo Sapiens to dominate the planet (alongside insects, who often cooperate as well).

Baruch

Getting mad at somebody else's invisible big brother ... is kind of silly too.

@Cassia, you aren't doing anything wrong, by being you (and this applies to everyone else).

If one defines natural as everything, then there is no supernatural.  But in pre-modern times, there was no dichotomy between natural and supernatural, that is a modern meme, that gradually expanded over time.  To a pre-modern, there is no word for natural or supernatural.  Things just are.  There is no word for religion, because that is just "how we live".  It is very hard, for a modern person, to think like an ancestor, nor would most want to (they want to be a Vulcan like Spock).  I happen to be into this way of thinking however.  Took me until I was 58 to reach this understanding (meta-rhetoric).  And it definitely helps me understand my Native neighbors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on October 03, 2020, 09:37:27 AM
I am evaluating whether a god of some type is even possible. That is to say I am slowly becoming a strong atheist. I can not find a testable definition of any "god". The lists of attributed characteristics often oppose each other and require supernatural exceptions to be true. I do still believe non supernatural but super advanced aliens are possible and probable.

So is anything "supernatural" even possible? There is ZERO evidence supporting anything supernatural. Just because we can think about gods (or even about ourselves), imagine gods, and dream about gods doesn't add one iota of evidence towards anything supernatural.

However my conclusions buck the cohesion of the tribe. People united in belief are powerful even if the beliefs are nonsense. In fact, the beliefs are more effective if they are nonsense and unique to the group. Cooperation amongst large groups of us has allowed Homo Sapiens to dominate the planet (alongside insects, who often cooperate as well).

Supernatural--not possible.  Sort of like the term 'natural' on products.  Anything we can make is natural since we use the stuff our universe has supplied to us--everything is natural.  Since that is true, then there cannot be anything supernatural. 

And I like your observation on 'groups'.  They are helpful--for sure!  I find it interesting that humans find it hard to unite tightly under the banner of love, consideration, equality, ---add other positive attributes as you see fit.  Yet humans can be united fairly easily under nonsense and hate and fear.  Maybe evolution has taught us too well that groups can survive better if united against predators or others.  So, maybe we atheists and humanists  types are fighting evolution as well as nonsense.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 03, 2020, 10:58:15 AM
Supernatural--not possible.  Sort of like the term 'natural' on products.  Anything we can make is natural since we use the stuff our universe has supplied to us--everything is natural.  Since that is true, then there cannot be anything supernatural. 

And I like your observation on 'groups'.  They are helpful--for sure!  I find it interesting that humans find it hard to unite tightly under the banner of love, consideration, equality, ---add other positive attributes as you see fit.  Yet humans can be united fairly easily under nonsense and hate and fear.  Maybe evolution has taught us too well that groups can survive better if united against predators or others.  So, maybe we atheists and humanists  types are fighting evolution as well as nonsense.

Which love?  Eros leads to competition over women or gay lovers.  Agape is too abstract.  Philos is a man willing to die for another man.  Originally a man defending his family was the same as defending his property.  Today, let the women put on scanty armor and be Wonder Bitch ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Either God is Trump or Trump is God, according to all those sTRUMPets.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 03, 2020, 07:45:14 PM
Either God is Trump or Trump is God, according to all those sTRUMPets.

Sorry, Biden in blackface is your mammy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

And you're the poison that has driven people from this forum with your blatherskite. Has that been your intention all along? Did you figure that if you spewed enough crap the posters here would be so disgusted that they'd go elsewhere for real discussion?

Well, given the number of people who we no longer hear from, it's been working.

Will you be more happy when we're all gone, when you'll have the place all to yourself?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman