Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God exists because God exists

Started by jorune, November 09, 2015, 05:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: shynes0086 on April 06, 2016, 10:52:45 PM
You can math debate.

Debate on!  Math = maths in England ;-)  Which is more correct?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on April 06, 2016, 11:11:11 PM
Debate on!  Math = maths in England ;-)  Which is more correct?
"Math" is the first four letters of "mathematics" and therefore is the correct abbreviation. Anyone who says otherwise is a poopyhead.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

A theistic type of God can't logically exist, due to the many incompatible properties it would possess.

If it cannot logically exist, then it does not, in fact, exist.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 07, 2016, 06:51:49 PM
A theistic type of God can't logically exist, due to the many incompatible properties it would possess.

Alas your education doesn't yet include non-standard logics, such as fuzzy logic.  Though some people must already know it, since their thinking is so fuzzy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nateswoodworks

I have to admit I am confused and disappointed. I am confused as to why you have a debate section asking others to debate, believers and not; but then ridicule when the invite is accepted. I am confused on why bother declaring rules that one must agree to if those same rules will not be upheld.
Most of all I am disappointed; if what I have seen here is a representation of what exists in the debates; than what is the point? Isn't the existence of a debate forum to invite and house debates; not to just mock and attempt to overwhelm? I ,like many, like to have intelligent and respectful debates; I hope that I am not alone on this.

stromboli

Quote from: Nateswoodworks on April 09, 2016, 11:00:56 PM
I have to admit I am confused and disappointed. I am confused as to why you have a debate section asking others to debate, believers and not; but then ridicule when the invite is accepted. I am confused on why bother declaring rules that one must agree to if those same rules will not be upheld.
Most of all I am disappointed; if what I have seen here is a representation of what exists in the debates; than what is the point? Isn't the existence of a debate forum to invite and house debates; not to just mock and attempt to overwhelm? I ,like many, like to have intelligent and respectful debates; I hope that I am not alone on this.

Not personally a debater, but put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. We are atheists. We are a minority. Most of the time the first 2 pages of a thread are trying to explain what atheism is, because the prevailing attitude is that atheism is a religion, we are pagans, satanic, hate god and a whole laundry list of false ideas. They also almost universally insist that morality comes from god-it doesn't- and we've proved that. The last theist, Little Nipper, either didn't respond to or address or even read any of the links we provided- quite a number of them in fact.

And if you are disappointed that we have a defensive attitude or mock people, its because we deal with the continual narrow minded unquestioning belief in dogma and beliefs that they cannot prove, period.

Now if you want to debate, simply state the topic and and request a debate.

QuoteWritten with truth, compassion, and kindness as a Christian wanting nothing more than to share the invite.

Nice sig. Why don't you explain that to the righteous Christian in Colorado Springs that killed people at a Planned Parenthood clinic or the last gay man that got tossed off a building in Syria, or the gays hunted down and killed in Africa or the women being executed for witchcraft. By Christians.

Baruch

The format of "informal debate" is self-contradictory.  Really if one wants to debate, it should be in the formal section.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Quote from: Baruch on April 10, 2016, 08:24:48 AM
The format of "informal debate" is self-contradictory.  Really if one wants to debate, it should be in the formal section.

Would actually agree with that. We do a lot of "informal" debating that really isn't. I think that any one wanting to debate an issue with a  particular individual should request it. As I said I'm not a debater, but it should be done in an organized way.

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on April 10, 2016, 10:27:34 AM
Would actually agree with that. We do a lot of "informal" debating that really isn't. I think that any one wanting to debate an issue with a  particular individual should request it. As I said I'm not a debater, but it should be done in an organized way.

Debates also have to be one-on-one ... no gang banging ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Nates, your sig: "Written with truth, compassion, and kindness as a Christian wanting nothing more than to share the invite.', raises red flags for me.

I assume you are trying to show that you are a reasonable, compassionate and kind person--one who likes to discuss things about religion.  That is laudable, I guess.  But your 'written with truth' statement is a bit much for me to swallow.  Since you have identified yourself as a christian I would suggest your 'truth' to be quite the opposite for me.  Your truth is baseless since it is based on belief and not empirical evidence.  And that statement puts my hackles up a bit--in case you cannot tell.  You are making a flat statement with the intent I should accept it.  Well, I cannot--and I contend that your truth is simply a lie you chose to accept as truth.  Maybe you could show that I am wrong in that--but I doubt it. 

I will not accept you with open arms.  But I will treat you with the same courtesy you show me.  I am willing to discuss anything you'd like.  But I don't know about an official debate. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

doorknob

Um Christians seem to think that logic and science are mocking them when they become frustrated that logic and facts do not agree with their religion. The Christians that get kicked off the forum are people who did not come here to debate but to preach to us. We don't take kindly to that. It's against the rules.

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 07, 2016, 06:51:49 PM

Are you saying that it is impossible for the Christian God to exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:12:00 AM
Every god humans have come up with (including Yahweh) has specific feats attributed to them. Since we can often prove that these feats never happened, it's pretty easy to conclude that the gods they are attributed to also don't exist.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:12:00 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Well perhaps we could all just agree there are no deities of any form or nature and save him some time?  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!