News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Reform about involuntary commitment and the like

Started by viocjit, August 15, 2019, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 01:49:26 PM
This was tried in Philadelphia 200 years ago, the original Penitentiary.  It was a Quaker hell hole, that abused the prisoners with mental games.  Is that what you are hoping for as an atheist?  Quaker tyranny?

Though the Quakers introduced them to the Americas, as with so many other cruel gifts to the world we have the Roman Catholic Church to thank for penitentiaries. The whole idea of penitence is a Catholic one... Go reflect on your sins, ask for forgiveness from God, and when God says he forgives you, you're free to go. Though God rarely scrawled his John Hancock or YHWH on parole writs, fortunately we had wealthy and powerful clerics who signed on his behalf when they thought a penitent was ready for release - or not. The cells in a penitentiary are named, as are biological cells, after the cells in monasteries.

Thinking that enforced monastery life will make people less likely to commit crimes is, along with so many other things religious, a failed hypothesis. The whole system needs to be demolished and rebuilt on a system of empirical metrics and clearly-stated goals.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Sorry, the humanitarian response is to legalize everything.  Saves taxes too ;-)  That matches my notion that there is no such thing as morality.  And therefore the only reason for laws is prejudice, which is ignoble.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

viocjit

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 06:35:49 PM
Best lawyers are in Israel.

Why do you say best lawyers are in Israel ?
The Israeli judicial system and American judicial system aren't the same because each countries have its laws.
As each countries have its own laws I consider we can't compare lawyers in USA and those in the State of Israel.

Baruch

Quote from: viocjit on August 17, 2019, 05:52:55 AM
Why do you say best lawyers are in Israel ?
The Israeli judicial system and American judicial system aren't the same because each countries have its laws.
As each countries have its own laws I consider we can't compare lawyers in USA and those in the State of Israel.

Best diamond dealers too (with outlying offices in Amsterdam and NYC).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2019, 05:57:17 AM
Best diamond dealers too (with outlying offices in Amsterdam and NYC).

Best entertainers...

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 06:35:49 PM
Best lawyers are in Israel.

Sounds vaguely like a stereotypical  "Jews are good lawyers" thing.  Just curious about why you said that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!