News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Clock making

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 07, 2015, 08:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

So I'm going to have a go at building my first wooden clock.  I just bought a scroll saw today to cut the gears and other parts.  I have other equipment I need to get and need to source whatever wood I decide to use.
Here's a YouTube playlist of various clocks others have built based on the same design I'm planning to use and I may build a glass cabinet over the gears to protect them from dust and so on ..
Pretty nifty clock in my opinion ..
http://youtu.be/DC0FhSjmoWQ?list=PLB154D1A7C72B2A25
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

they had a relic hall in the town I grew up in that had a lot of old crafts from pioneers, stuff made mostly from wood and by hand. There was a wooden gear clock and some chains made from a solid piece of wood, really cool stuff. More power to you if you can do it.

Hope you have the patience. Good luck.

jonb

I love seeing peoples creative projects, and it is great to see them unfold, as such could I make a request: could you please take pictures of the work in progress and go through the stages of building it rather than just showing the finished product?
I love automata and clockworks so I would love to see where you start from the difficulties you encounter and the way you find to get around the problems of construction, the more you post about this the happier I will be.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'll do that if I can remember .. I've still got a lot of stuff to learn before I begin and some more tools and equipment not to mention the garage needs a massive clearing out since we moved my dad here and filled it with junk.. Pretty sure soon as I get it cleared out Sylvia will want to park her car back in the garage too.. We do have a shed out back I could probably expand to make into a workshop .. I have so much crap to do around here I might get around to this before my 109th birthday.

PickelledEggs

This is really neat. It's going to be awesome when it's done

pr126

Atheon

Don't have brown skin and show it in a school, or some braindead idiot will think it's a bomb!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Johan

What an awesome project. Doing gears on a scroll saw sounds tough. I'm sure I'd up fueling the wood stove with lots of scrap if I tried it. Definitely document the progress of the project as you go.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Gahh! Trying to find the blade adapter for the saw I bought .. Apparently only one was ever made .. Well maybe more .. I bought the saw used and it's probably out of production so search search search!  The plans for the clock cost $42+ shipping .. I could use some free plans online,  but I really like this one not to mention printing plans at home come with some drawbacks. It can be tough to get the correct ratios and the printer only accepts 8.5x11 paper .. I guess I should just part with the $ to be on the safe side .. In the meantime I can practice getting good with working with the scroll saw and make some useless little junk out of wood scraps..

AllPurposeAtheist

Another clock I might use simply because it is a free pattern that can be printed on standard paper size..and I like it because of the second hand at the top ..
https://youtu.be/vicHb6HIuLE

Hakurei Reimu

The escapement of a clock is something I always find mesmerizing.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

jonb

I know what you mean two of my favourites-

and my own little difference engine

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 08, 2015, 07:25:00 PM
The escapement of a clock is something I always find mesmerizing.
Interesting video about the escapement mechanism and how it works with everything ..
https://youtu.be/2xoO4IdJMaw

trdsf

Awesome.  I have the Wrebbit medieval clock kit (still unfinished) and I too find a mechanical clock's mechanism fascinating.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan