"Church, marry gays or lose the right to do marriages"

Started by La Dolce Vita, March 17, 2013, 08:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"One of the parties in the current in-power "red-green" coalition in Norway has made an ultimatum to the Church of Norway. "Marry gays and lesbians or lose the right to marry people altogether". Of course, it's not really the state chuch anymore, as we had separation of church and state only a few years ago  
If there is separation of church and state, I don't know how this could be regulated.  Gays could just find another church to marry them, anyway.  Why would they even want to affiliate with a church that is run by assholes for assholes?

Another church? There isn't really any other churches. You might find a stray church of a different denomination some place, but in Norway we really just have the state church - which isn't really the state church anymore, but still uses the name and is tied to the government in most aspects. Yes, it's all quite complicated. The motion would allow priests to excuse themselves for performing such ceremonies, but that they would have to have a priest willing to do this.

I wish we had a true church and state separation. The recent so-called church and state separation thing was really just sybolic, and aside from giving churches more freedom to be intolrant didn't have any particular effect as far as I'm aware.

SGOS

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Another church? There isn't really any other churches. You might find a stray church of a different denomination some place, but in Norway we really just have the state church - which isn't really the state church anymore, but still uses the name and is tied to the government in most aspects. Yes, it's all quite complicated. The motion would allow priests to excuse themselves for performing such ceremonies, but that they would have to have a priest willing to do this.

I wish we had a true church and state separation. The recent so-called church and state separation thing was really just sybolic, and aside from giving churches more freedom to be intolrant didn't have any particular effect as far as I'm aware.
I didn't know that about Norway.  I kind of picked that up from your earlier post, but then I thought maybe I wasn't reading it correctly.  In the US there are a wide variety of churches, with and without various aspects of the common dogmas associated with Christianity.  I believe the Episcopalian Church will happily marry gays and even accept them as members of their clergy.  So shopping around for the right religion is not uncommon, here.  You can usually find a sect that has a god that you think tells you want you want to hear.

La Dolce Vita

It was illigal for the church to deny gays and lesbians the clergy back when it was a part of the state, as it fell under employment discrimination laws. Not sure how that is now.

Special B

Quote from: "wolf39us"I think churches are regularly bigoted and need some ass whopping by the people, but by the state?  I thoroughly disagree!  The church should not be "legally" forced to do marriages that they are opposed to.  Church and state should not overlap... even if it benefits society.

Besides, why would any gay couple WANT to get married in front of a bunch of people that think that they are "evil sinners"?

Marriage is a legal contract. It is a govt. issue, not a religious one.

The churches can still do their silly rituals and call them marriages. The state just won't recognize their authority to create marriage contracts. The state always decides who can and cannot marry people. To have the authority to marry people, you have to abide by the law.

It isn't a religious issue in any way shape or form, and the church deserves no defense.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan