Know KKK Affiliates; via Anonymous

Started by JBCuzISaidSo, November 02, 2015, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonb

It just surprises me, that when we get so many atheists on this site that need to talk about their beliefs anonymously, because of possible retribution from family etc, that the right to anonymity is by many not seen as something that should be protected for its own sake.

But I suppose most Americans still don't see a problem with a lynching as long as its the baddies being hung.

Baruch

Back in the day, public executions were entertainment for the public, same as the Colosseum.  Authorized or not.

Vigilance committees operated, whether called KKK or something else.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

JBCuzISaidSo

Well, which are we trying to save; elected officials that actually hate race, (and why shouldn't those dickwads be called out), or real pertinent issues sans race facing everybody.

I don't personally call for the death of the man/woman/human that believes their race is somehow superior, all I'd like is knowing who they are and if they're getting public votes, and for WHAT, blatant racism or actual facts.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Hydra009

Quote from: jonb on November 03, 2015, 01:13:56 PM
It just surprises me, that when we get so many atheists on this site that need to talk about their beliefs anonymously, because of possible retribution from family etc, that the right to anonymity is by many not seen as something that should be protected for its own sake.
I agree.  However, as the name implies, public officials are not subject to the same level of privacy as private citizens.  Their alleged association with a hate group is very much of public interest.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 03, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
I agree.  However, as the name implies, public officials are not subject to the same level of privacy as private citizens.  Their alleged association with a hate group is very much of public interest.

Well, from what I understand, they're not exclusively naming public officials with ties to the KKK but anyone with involvement and it just so happens that some public officials might be involved.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Yeah.  And it goes without saying that doxxing is morally wrong.  Though I suppose being involved in a hate group and threatening to shoot people is also morally wrong.  There's definitely no hero in this fight.

Shiranu

If they are public officials who have an elected position to influence peoples lives... have at it. Dig up all the dirt on them you want if it involves bigotry.

The one's who aren't though, that does start to cross where I find it morally justified. I think in this case we can all agree the KKK are assholes and, frankly, terrorists despite their complexion, and at the very least had it coming when they poked the bee hive... justifiably questionable, but to be expected. But that line of "Who is an asshole who has it coming" gets blurrier and blurrier... how can you say it's acceptable in one instance, and not in another? If we set a precedent that it is an acceptable practice, then eventually it will start to bite us in the ass.

That said, still not going to shed a tear for them. Just don't know if I agree with it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 03, 2015, 08:16:43 PM
If they are public officials who have an elected position to influence peoples lives... have at it. Dig up all the dirt on them you want if it involves bigotry.

The one's who aren't though, that does start to cross where I find it morally justified. I think in this case we can all agree the KKK are assholes and, frankly, terrorists despite their complexion, and at the very least had it coming when they poked the bee hive... justifiably questionable, but to be expected. But that line of "Who is an asshole who has it coming" gets blurrier and blurrier... how can you say it's acceptable in one instance, and not in another? If we set a precedent that it is an acceptable practice, then eventually it will start to bite us in the ass.

That said, still not going to shed a tear for them. Just don't know if I agree with it.

Public officials shouldn't be re-elected, they need to be tarred and feathered at the end of their first term ... so they have something to look forward to (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

One of the names is openly gay.  Hardly KKK material.

Take pronouncements from Anonymous with a grain of salt.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

jonb

Quote from: Shiranu on November 03, 2015, 08:16:43 PM

You probably won't see, but this is why you and PR look exactly the same to me. I hear both of you saying 'They are bad and I won't lift a finger to help them. My side are good and I can find every reason to excuse my set.' True the two of you see who is good and who is bad differently, but you are both calling for a tyranny run by your set of good people.

For me democracy cannot work unless we are prepared to defend the rights of even those we despise.

Shiranu

Quote from: jonb on November 04, 2015, 05:35:13 AM
You probably won't see, but this is why you and PR look exactly the same to me. I hear both of you saying 'They are bad and I won't lift a finger to help them. My side are good and I can find every reason to excuse my set.' True the two of you see who is good and who is bad differently, but you are both calling for a tyranny run by your set of good people.

For me democracy cannot work unless we are prepared to defend the rights of even those we despise.

Er... I just said I don't think it should be done, I am just not going to feel overly sorry for someone who hit the hornet nest and got stung. Just like I don't think someone should be beaten by cops, but if they just got done murdering someone and were taunting the cops I wouldn't feel sorry  for them. That doesn't mean I support police brutality or think it's acceptable, I just have a hard time feeling bad for the victim in that situation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on November 04, 2015, 05:35:13 AM

This.  Neo-lib is to claim to be good, and use that as an excuse for tyranny.  Admittedly better than neo-con, where you claim to be bad-ass and don't care what others think.  For example, Angela Merkel and Barak Obama are neo-lib ... they impose tyranny on their respective nations ... for their (nation's) own good.  For example, David Cameron and Dick Cheney are neo-con ... they impose tyranny on their respective nations ... for "their" (personal) own good.  Both are Machiavellian.  Good cop/bad cop.  Neither are interested in democracy, just autocracy.

Both King Louis XVI and his brother (future King Louis XVIII) were autocrats.  King Louis XVI played good cop, holding an Etat Generale to pay off debts, rather than just predating on the people.  His brother played bad cop, when the Etat Generale found its own purpose independent of the King ... he proposed to kill the deputies.  King Louis XVI ended up as a dead constitutional monarch.  His brother survived the revolution and the return of Napoleon.  Similarly Merkel and Obama play with fire ... and potentially delegitimate their respective regimes.  Cameron and Cheney, when faced with opposition, crush it like a bug ... and potentially alienate their subjects.  Soft fail vs hard fail.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

...I don't know why I bothered saying I disagree with it since, while it was done against a group most people can agree are a bunch of assholes, it could just as easily be used against everyone else and I am not comfortable with that. And Anon, my side? Hardly, I have never liked them...

Some how that now means I am a tyrant and a bigot who thinks it's acceptable...

Right then.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 04, 2015, 06:48:16 AM
...I don't know why I bothered saying I disagree with it since, while it was done against a group most people can agree are a bunch of assholes, it could just as easily be used against everyone else and I am not comfortable with that. And Anon, my side? Hardly, I have never liked them...

Some how that now means I am a tyrant and a bigot who thinks it's acceptable...

Right then.

Not a tyrant ... just not PC in a democratic way.  Others here play the bigot.  But perhaps defending minority opinion at all costs ... can be taken too far.  Sometimes anti- action is just as partisan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

jonb

Quote from: Shiranu on November 04, 2015, 06:43:00 AM
Er... I just said I don't think it should be done, I am just not going to feel overly sorry for someone who hit the hornet nest and got stung. Just like I don't think someone should be beaten by cops, but if they just got done murdering someone and were taunting the cops I wouldn't feel sorry  for them. That doesn't mean I support police brutality or think it's acceptable, I just have a hard time feeling bad for the victim in that situation.

No, you can't see it can you, even though you have read the refugee thread and seen the PR line 'they brought this on themselves' how many times?