News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

So, my daughter's gay.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, March 16, 2013, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SvZurich

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist""Mom, no! I don't want to watch the Chipendale guys...M....MOM! Stop it! No mom! What will dad think? Get that G-string out of your teeth! That's it.. I'm calling dad to come get you..." :shock:
"Dad, you were right!  This place has the best strippers in town!  Oh, I know her!  We used to have PE together in high school!  Wonder if she'd like me to buy her a drink!  Don't tell mom, this will be our secret!"
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Colanth

And if she's bi, ...

No, this is General Discussion, so I won't say it.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

baddogma

Wow. Ben, I'm shocked your wife took it so......Christian like. I'm glad your daughter came out, and things are going better. So glad she is accepted and loved, just like she should be.
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: "baddogma"Wow. Ben, I'm shocked your wife took it so......Christian like. I'm glad your daughter came out, and things are going better. So glad she is accepted and loved, just like she should be.
Yeah, well she's still clinging to her security blanket. I'm not sure how much longer it'll last. She's starting to ask some of the tough questions. And, her "faith" is mostly of the feel-good variety of woo.

She's also coming to grips with the whole thing a lot faster than I thought she would last night. Of course, as I said in a previous post, it's not like our daughter hasn't dropped hints along the way, intentional or not. We've even discussed the possibility before.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Brian37

Quote from: "GalacticBusDriver"
Quote from: "baddogma"Wow. Ben, I'm shocked your wife took it so......Christian like. I'm glad your daughter came out, and things are going better. So glad she is accepted and loved, just like she should be.
Yeah, well she's still clinging to her security blanket. I'm not sure how much longer it'll last. She's starting to ask some of the tough questions. And, her "faith" is mostly of the feel-good variety of woo.

She's also coming to grips with the whole thing a lot faster than I thought she would last night. Of course, as I said in a previous post, it's not like our daughter hasn't dropped hints along the way, intentional or not. We've even discussed the possibility before.

Happy to hear it.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Johan

Quote from: "SvZurich"Plus thanks to science, she can still have children and thanks to social change, marriage!  :D  You lose nothing other than having a son-in-law who tried to compete with you on facial hair growth.  :D  Win-Win!
Don't forget borrowing power tools. Sons-in-law love to borrow power tools which never seem to return.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Savior2006

It's better to come out sooner rather than later.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

StupidWiz

Quote from: "Savior2006"It's better to come out sooner rather than later.
+1

And GBD, always be there and support your daughter.  :)
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm glad your daughter has you around to assure her she made the right choice. I'm sure your wife will come around, even if there is some apprehension at first.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

widdershins

I have one son who is currently 11 who might be gay.  There have been a few things which suggest that it might be the case, but we're not sure.  But, as a precaution to avoid just this sort of situation we routinely tell our children that there is nothing wrong with being gay and that we don't care either way.  I had a nephew come out a few years back.  One of my favorite nephews, actually (one of my wife's favorites too).  His mother is a bit of a drama queen and ended up on a psych ward for a week or two (she had other problems at the time as well.  Nothing too serious.  She's one of those "everything is a big deal" type of people).  Since then we've been very sensitive to the issue.  We're both pretty liberal, so in our house it won't be a big deal and, hopefully, our kids won't wait until they've known that many years before telling us.  I'd like to make sure I'm there for them the whole time and they don't have to deal with that in addition to burgeoning sexuality all alone.
This sentence is a lie...

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "GalacticBusDriver"

Happy to hear it.

Yeah me too.  I'm hoping the wife comes to realize that whatever sexual preference - that's her daughter - no matter what.   :heart:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

jonnytexas

I didn't read all the post, so forgive me if someone already mentioned this, but is it perhaps that your wife is embarrassed to tell her friends, co-workers, and family and doesn't really care about the gayness itself?  It is a strange reaction from someone who is not deeply religious.  My guess is that she just doesn't want all the inevitable gossip from friends, and she will realize that her daughter is more important and come to grips with it.  Perhaps it is the wife that needs counseling
You mean all I have to do is say "sorry God" and all is forgiven?....I\'m gonna have some fun then

widdershins

You know, counseling might not be such a bad idea.  It sounds like your wife might need some help with this.  Maybe you could find a decent psychologist, explain the situation to him and go as a family.  Just make sure it's a "real" psychologist, not some "pray the gay away" Christotard and I bet without any prompting from you at all he'll start helping her cope.
This sentence is a lie...