EVERYTHING WE THINK WE KNOW ABOUT ADDICTION IS WRONG

Started by dtq123, October 30, 2015, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Well it depends, I have known a couple of addicts.  And I have my own non-substance addictions.  Certainly the non-substance additions have to do with artificial stimulation of brain centers that aren't getting enough whoop otherwise.  And good social interaction is good whoop.  The chemical side of chemical addiction comes in, because the foreign chemical (even sugar) degrades various parts of your body, like your liver (in the case of alcohol).  Doing anything that damages your body, beyond just living modestly and socially ... causes slow long term changes that change how you live and think.  So I think this is a bit one-sided ... trying to fight an older idea that is equally one-sided.  It would be more accurate to say that addiction is both more complicated, and more individual ... than people have the patience to discuss.  Specifically on the individual side, people prone to a chemical addiction, are actually more tolerant of the substance initially.  That is why they typically take a higher dose, to get the high a less tolerant person does.  This condition then accelerates as they get more damaged by the secondary effects ... they need even more to get high than they did before.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I like that and can see it being quite accurate. I can see my "mild" addiction as exactly what the study suggests. I had less interaction at home once I got in from work and would make use of that time by mixing more alcohol into the afternoon. Once the grandkid moved in, I spend more time with her, (though, truth be told, not really intentionally) and because of that find myself drinking less simply because my time is otherwise being more occupied.

I can also see in the many addicts I have met, that they all seem to share a lowered self esteem, lower threshold for recognizing success versus failure, meaning they see themselves failing where I still see them trying. You know what I mean? They give up quicker because they don't see themselves as capable of success. Good video. I might push that along elsewhere. Thanks.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust