News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

You are nothing but an algorithm

Started by josephpalazzo, October 28, 2015, 09:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Well, maybe not. Nevertheless according to Deutsch’s principle:

QuoteEvery finitely realizable physical system can be simulated efficiently and to an arbitrary degree of approximation by a universal model (quantum) computing machine operating by finite means.

Read more in: The Physical Origin of Universal Computing

stromboli

All this time I thought I was heuristic.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on October 28, 2015, 09:49:03 AM
All this time I thought I was heuristic.

You maybe heuristically correct, or is it algorithmically incorrect?!? :67:

jonb

I have no problem being an algorithm. I remain the same however others chose to categorise me, stardust, monkey, English Bastard, individual, or a bit of maths.

By any other name would smell as sweet

stromboli

All I know is I'm dead sick of digital.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on October 28, 2015, 09:59:57 AM
All I know is I'm dead sick of digital.

And you wrote this on your computer?!? You are guilty of cognitive dissonance. Put away that bottle of scotch, by now it should taste like piss.

Baruch

Read a book by a "emergent" scientist ... and he showed that if every atom in the universe was a quantum computer component (Qubit) then there hasn't been enough elapsed time for it to have randomly gotten to the present situation, given that we can measure the age of the universe as well.

Typical Pythagorean twaddle ... but even if true, there will be endless warfare between people who are even numbers vs those who are odd numbers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Jason78

I think my algorithm has a few bugs...
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

Reminds me of a SMAC quote by the University of Planet faction:

"Begin with a function of arbitrary complexity. Feed it values, "sense data". Then, take your result, square it, and feed it back into your original function, adding a new set of sense data. Continue to feed your results back into the original function ad infinitum. What do you have? The fundamental principle of human consciousness."
Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "The Feedback Principle"

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 29, 2015, 10:09:36 PM

"Begin with a function of arbitrary complexity. Feed it values, "sense data". Then, take your result, square it, and feed it back into your original function, adding a new set of sense data. Continue to feed your results back into the original function ad infinitum. What do you have? The fundamental principle of human consciousness."

Only dogs eat their own shit.  Got dog?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Ha, it depends if the original function converges or not... stupid Sid Meier character... :lol:

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 30, 2015, 08:37:49 AM
Ha, it depends if the original function converges or not... stupid Sid Meier character... :lol:

Isn't converging to infinity, just another kind of convergence?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Sounds familiar.