News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

WHO: Processed meats do cause cancer

Started by josephpalazzo, October 26, 2015, 02:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Damn it to hell! I just bought a smoker this year too...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

So does smoking cigarettes and I've been smoking since 1974. Damned ..I must have died from cancer years ago. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

So they now fall under the same category as cigarettes. Somehow I don't see governments regulating the sale of pepperoni to minors and taxing the shit out of it in the interests of public health.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

According to reports on NPR, the data doesn't look as bad as cigarettes.

Mike Cl

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh shittttt....we all gonna die!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 26, 2015, 04:12:21 PM
So they now fall under the same category as cigarettes. Somehow I don't see governments regulating the sale of pepperoni to minors and taxing the shit out of it in the interests of public health.

You have little imagination ;-(  Give me bacon, or give me death!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 26, 2015, 04:55:36 PM
Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh shittttt....we all gonna die!

No, the gambit is in play ... beef for the millionaires, bugs for us ... they have been putting out articles how nutritious bugs are for several years now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Good thing a lot of those projects to cure cancer are starting to pay off, eh?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

I can just see it now..  The image below is a weapon of mass destruction and our armed forces will hunt Oscar Meyer to the ends of the earth.  You're either with us or you're against us.

USA USA USA!

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

First of all I don't think the conclusions are iron clad so much as suggestive. I have a smoker and I'm not going to stop using it.

Commercially prepared processed meats I can see that, because they have a lot of chemicals besides salt and spices. But a typical ham is salt cured and smoked, not a lot of ingredients added. Sausage made at home has salt and spices and fat, but there are no other nitrates or "shelf extenders" needed. Prosciutto, corned beef and pastrami are all cured meats.

Too much salt (sodium) is definitely bad, and practically every diet but straight vegan has an abundance of salt. I know the British diet is heavy on sausages and sweetbreads, so it might certainly need improving.

Sweetbreads, for the less knowledgeable
http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/sweetbreads/index.html

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 26, 2015, 08:27:58 PM
Good thing a lot of those projects to cure cancer are starting to pay off, eh?

Cancer and death are natural outcomes of individual biological development.  Trying to cure them are like trying to cure life.  Will never be successful ... you each have an ethical obligation to die, some day.  Same thing with other aging diseases.  Spending a million on trying to give one more year to an octogenarian ... even my own mom ... is unethical.  My mother thinks so too.  Death is a part of life, not an enemy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

facebook164

Quote from: Baruch on October 26, 2015, 11:04:22 PM
Cancer and death are natural outcomes of individual biological development.  Trying to cure them are like trying to cure life.  Will never be successful ... you each have an ethical obligation to die, some day.  Same thing with other aging diseases.  Spending a million on trying to give one more year to an octogenarian ... even my own mom ... is unethical.  My mother things so too.  Death is a part of life, not an enemy.
Hmm. You just blew your EQ facade.
Cancer is pain and suffering beyond imagination.

Atheon

Crossing the street can kill you, too. I like my bacon.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca