What do people do all day once they get to heaven?

Started by 1liesalot, October 23, 2015, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 24, 2015, 09:53:56 PM
Let us not forget about our pious friends who "find jesus" and get cured of addiction by the grace of GAWD..  I spent close to 10 years in drug treatment and wish I could tell you how many people think the ONLY reason I was successful at kicking my bad habits was the big invisible thing in the sky. Of course it had nothing at all to do with my own determination and perseverance. OH NO! It was all just the invisible thing in the sky. Yup, it was my higher power.. You know..that rotten orange. LOL

Yep.  Been there and seen it myself:  "Your best thinking got you here, so turn yourself over to a spirit who's existence is unsupportable, and let him do the thinking for you."  Undoubtedly, a lot of people get into rehab with a lot of denial and rationalization, but that's hardly their "BEST" thinking.  It's actually their worst thinking.  Other parts of their reasoning are still intact, but rather than develop those strengths, they are advised to throw it all out.  If they were irrational before, they are asked to double down and take the worst of their thinking to the next level, and summon the spirit world to solve their problems.

Congratulations; You deserve all the credit for finding your way out of that nightmare.  And there's nothing wrong about taking the responsibility or the credit for everything you do, both the good and the bad.  Part of becoming stronger is in recognizing your strength, and giving up the habit of seeing yourself as a helpless pawn in a world of incomprehensible magic. 

Baruch

SGOS - yes, being helpless in a magical world ... is the position of the child.  But unless you have lost your inner child, a part of you still lives in that world.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

QuoteWhat do people do all day in heaven?
They do heavenly things, of course.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: 1liesalot on October 23, 2015, 05:55:25 PM
There are plenty of lurid and detailed descriptions of hell in the world's holy books and their proponents but what do people do in heaven all day? One of the only biblical references to the Godly afterlife can be found in  Revelation 4:8 which says...

What the actual fuck? I never did hear this in church. Is it not even creepier than the concept of the Lake of Fire?  I would rather burn in hell, thanks all the same. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to have this sinister spectacle can rightly be described as paradise and who the hell would want it? Isn't it enough to give a person nightmares?
You speak of a description of a charibum if I'm not mistaken. That's not a descriptor of heaven or what existence in heaven will contain.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 25, 2015, 12:12:26 PM

Entertainment to last for a few seconds. What do you do for the rest of eternity... :angel:

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 25, 2015, 12:12:26 PM

The problem here is that they would never allow this kind of thing in heaven.

If you wanted hookers or heroin youd have to go to Hell, all the fun stuff would be there.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on October 25, 2015, 04:59:28 PM
The problem here is that they would never allow this kind of thing in heaven.

If you wanted hookers or heroin youd have to go to Hell, all the fun stuff would be there.
The question only asked about heaven. It never specified which version.

Secretly a Warsie.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

1liesalot

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 23, 2015, 06:21:48 PM
Christians get to worship God and kiss his feet all day. Doesn't sound so fun, but don't forget that there is no sadness in Heaven. Everything will be perfect, like the people are on some really good drugs 24/7. God will make it so they really enjoy the experience of kissing his feet. God is not the only one getting enjoyment out of this. God is perfect so his feet must be perfect too. I imagine Heaven would be like kissing Miley Cyrus' feet all day, but only better, since she is only human and can't compare to the true perfection that is God.

So even his feet are holy, holy, holy? Thought as much.

Blackleaf

What I was taught pretty consistently in church was that Heaven was a place where no negative emotions exist, marriage doesn't exist because of there being no male or female, and the only jobs that would be around are those people love to do. You know, like the dream job you always wanted to have in life, but could do because the real world sucks. Activities would include sharing stories with other believers, worshiping God with singing and dancing, and pretty much whatever you find enjoyable. It was also taught that there were two separate judgments: one for the damned and one for the saints. The first was to determine appropriate punishments, and the second was to determine rewards. The nature of those rewards was never specified, but Jesus was always vague in his descriptions of heaven anyway.

Personally, I like the idea of a peaceful life after death, and still hope one exists. But my expectations are a little different. I would think that our experiences would be detached from concepts of time and space, being present with everyone at once, and understanding everything. It wouldn't grow old, because there'd be no sense of a passage of time. In a way, it would be like living in a happy photograph. Whether or not such a thing exists, I suppose, we can never know until we get there.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 30, 2015, 12:10:57 PM
What I was taught pretty consistently in church was that Heaven was a place where no negative emotions exist, marriage doesn't exist because of there being no male or female, and the only jobs that would be around are those people love to do. You know, like the dream job you always wanted to have in life, but could do because the real world sucks. Activities would include sharing stories with other believers, worshiping God with singing and dancing, and pretty much whatever you find enjoyable. It was also taught that there were two separate judgments: one for the damned and one for the saints. The first was to determine appropriate punishments, and the second was to determine rewards. The nature of those rewards was never specified, but Jesus was always vague in his descriptions of heaven anyway.

Personally, I like the idea of a peaceful life after death, and still hope one exists. But my expectations are a little different. I would think that our experiences would be detached from concepts of time and space, being present with everyone at once, and understanding everything. It wouldn't grow old, because there'd be no sense of a passage of time. In a way, it would be like living in a happy photograph. Whether or not such a thing exists, I suppose, we can never know until we get there.
Actually, we will never know.  Once you die, there is no 'us' any more to know anything.  From atoms we sprang and to atoms we go.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 30, 2015, 12:15:03 PM
Actually, we will never know.  Once you die, there is no 'us' any more to know anything.  From atoms we sprang and to atoms we go.

I'm personally of the opinion that the world is the product of the mind, rather than the other way around. I find it a little hard to swallow that some special combination of matter can create the consciousness, along with all of its personal experiences from the senses. The mind creating matter, however, is something I do every night when I fall asleep.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 30, 2015, 12:10:57 PM
What I was taught pretty consistently in church was that Heaven was a place where no negative emotions exist.... and the only jobs that would be around are those people love to do. You know, like the dream job you always wanted to have in life, but could do because the real world sucks.

I want to be the dictator of Heaven and rule with an iron hand.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 30, 2015, 12:50:00 PM
I want to be the dictator of Heaven and rule with an iron hand.

The traditional view is ... better to be king in hell than slave in heaven.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.