What do people do all day once they get to heaven?

Started by 1liesalot, October 23, 2015, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

There are plenty of lurid and detailed descriptions of hell in the world's holy books and their proponents but what do people do in heaven all day? One of the only biblical references to the Godly afterlife can be found in  Revelation 4:8 which says...

QuoteThe first creature was like a lion, and the second creature like a calf, and the third creature had a face like that of a man, and the fourth creature was like a flying eagle. And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME." And when the living creatures give glory and honour and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever,…

What the actual fuck? I never did hear this in church. Is it not even creepier than the concept of the Lake of Fire?  I would rather burn in hell, thanks all the same. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to have this sinister spectacle can rightly be described as paradise and who the hell would want it? Isn't it enough to give a person nightmares?

FaithIsFilth

Christians get to worship God and kiss his feet all day. Doesn't sound so fun, but don't forget that there is no sadness in Heaven. Everything will be perfect, like the people are on some really good drugs 24/7. God will make it so they really enjoy the experience of kissing his feet. God is not the only one getting enjoyment out of this. God is perfect so his feet must be perfect too. I imagine Heaven would be like kissing Miley Cyrus' feet all day, but only better, since she is only human and can't compare to the true perfection that is God.

aitm

You are not allowed to use Revelations as anything other than being metaphorical. Christians, however, are allowed to use it word for word as a fine buttressed  argument for god hisself. The fact that the very most part of revelations is easily proven hockey puck is lost on those who believe.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on October 23, 2015, 06:32:52 PM
You are not allowed to use Revelations as anything other than being metaphorical. Christians, however, are allowed to use it word for word as a fine buttressed  argument for god hisself. The fact that the very most part of revelations is easily proven hockey puck is lost on those who believe.

It gets worse, particularly in Christian imagination about the Middle East ... it is used as a blueprint ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

ApostateLois

I have often wondered about this, myself. What do Christians think they will be doing all day long once they get to heaven? Most of them will say they plan to be worshiping God. For some reason, they like to think that paradise is all about kissing the Dear Leader's ass and telling him what a great guy he is. I can't imagine anything more boring than that. Keep in mind that these people can barely stand to sit in a church pew for a couple of hours each week, and make excuses not to attend Wednesday night Bible Study or the Women's Luncheon for Jesus or whatever. Yet they somehow believe that being in church all day, every day, for all of eternity, is nothing short of perfect bliss.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

aitm

The oddest part, as if there could be such a thing, is that, and perhaps Barauch will confirm this, is that the OT pretty much promises a great flock of rams as the reward for believing….christians came up with a whole new whack-a-doodle idea.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Termin

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 23, 2015, 06:21:48 PM
Christians get to worship God and kiss his feet all day.

Maybe kissing gods feet is like licking a toad ? :)
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

jonb

QuoteMy idea of heaven is eating paté de foie gras to the sound of trumpets.

Reverend Sydney Smith (1771-1845),

This vision of heaven though is no longer available in many states of the USA due to the intervention of the animal rights lobby.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on October 23, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
The oddest part, as if there could be such a thing, is that, and perhaps Barauch will confirm this, is that the OT pretty much promises a great flock of rams as the reward for believing….christians came up with a whole new whack-a-doodle idea.

Well it takes two to tango.  Basically you will get one or more wives, gets lots of healthy children, and your flocks of sheep and goats will flourish ... like that Job guy, until G-d had his employee, Satan, throw Job and his family under the bus.  And of course you need sheep and goats of both sexes.  So not just rams, but ewes as well ... and billies and nannies.  See you need both species to kind of support each other, and usually taking care of the flocks is a job for your children.  With the livestock and children out of the way, it is time for centenarian Abraham and one year younger Sarah to get it on (eww not ewe) and if she gets tired, there is always Hagar ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Termin on October 23, 2015, 08:29:14 PM
Maybe kissing gods feet is like licking a toad ? :)

It is hallucination, all the way down ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I've heard all sorts of silly ass ideas about heaven such as being reunited with loved ones.. There's aunt Mary, cousin John, Brother Sam, but wa...huh? What happened to mom?
Oh, didn't you hear? She was almost perfect, a great mother and wife. She was always giving to charity and everything except you know.. THAT BITCH once looked at Elvis and wanted to get laid so she's in hell burning forever... Fucking imperfect mom..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

pr126

What? no mention of 72 virgins and permanent hard on? Of rivers of wine? Boys like pearls?
Now thats what I call imagination. Mo knew how to sell an afterlife.

Contemporary Protestant

Disclaimer: I hold no personal opinion on the afterlife because i think more emphasis should be placed on actual life

The current chatter among religious folk is that heaven is an immortal life without sin, there will be jobs, work, rest, eating food; except there is no marriage and no sin, the two being separate (marriage isnt considered sin in protestant sects)

Please dont consider these my beliefs, theyre just things i hear people say

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 24, 2015, 02:01:28 AMThe current chatter among religious folk is that heaven is an immortal life without sin, there will be jobs, work,
Uggh.  Work forever.  Makes me wonder if they got the descriptions of heaven and hell mixed up.

Atheon

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 23, 2015, 06:21:48 PMI imagine Heaven would be like kissing Miley Cyrus' feet all day, but only better, since she is only human and can't compare to the true perfection that is God.
I could kiss Miley Cyrus's feet all day, but not god's. God's a guy and I'm not gay.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca