News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Does habit inhibit you?

Started by aitm, October 21, 2015, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonb

Quote from: Baruch on October 22, 2015, 08:00:50 PM
Jon - Deep.  Artists are deep, man ;-)  What do you think of Alvin Toffler and "Future Shock" ... I am practically electrocuted, and I am a technical person!

I must admit I haven't read it yet, as you can see I have been distracted by my Woolworth's book of-
'The justifications of capitalism for Prols', Oh and my dogs ear infection.

But hopefully he is getting better now and as soon as I am over the vet's bills Amazon here I come.

Mike Cl

Quote from: jonb on October 22, 2015, 08:25:42 PM
I must admit I haven't read it yet, as you can see I have been distracted by my Woolworth's book of-
'The justifications of capitalism for Prols', Oh and my dogs ear infection.

But hopefully he is getting better now and as soon as I am over the vet's bills Amazon here I come.
Great looking dog!  Just like when my child was sick, when my furry children get sick or injured, I am not right until they heal. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Future Shock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock

QuoteFuture Shock is a book written by the futurist Alvin Toffler in 1970. In the book, Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

QuoteToffler argued that society is undergoing an enormous structural change, a revolution from an industrial society to a "super-industrial society". This change overwhelms people. He believed the accelerated rate of technological and social change left people disconnected and suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation"â€"future shocked. Toffler stated that the majority of social problems are symptoms of future shock. In his discussion of the components of such shock, he popularized the term "information overload."

QuoteAlvin Toffler's main thought consists of the fact that modern man feels shock from rapid changes. For example, Toffler's daughter went to shop in New York and she couldn't find a shop in its previous location. Thus New York has become a city without a history. The urban population doubles every 11 years. The overall production of goods and services doubles each 50 years in developed countries. Society experiences an increasing number of changes with an increasing rapidity, while people are losing the familiarity that old institutions (religion, family, national identity, profession) once provided. The so-called "brain drain" - the emigration of European scientists to the United States - is both an indicator of the changes in society and also one of their causes.

Though written in 1970, it is worth a read. He also wrote "The Third Wave" and "Powershift" I read the first and second books, but that was in 1970ish. Don' remember them that well, but quite thought provoking.

jonb

Tony the dog pictured above is ten now and going into a frail stage where problems slowly become more serious. He is only my second dog. I must say that having dogs has taught me so much. Firstly how instinctual people are. These things have no hard and fast rules, but there are generalities one learns having a dog. For instance taking my dog for a walk everyday I soon learnt that if they get on with another dog it is more or less a rule of thumb I will get on with the other pet owner. I have to question is that because dogs are good at picking up all the minor signals humans give off. I know of many old ladies that select gardeners or other helpers by the way their dogs interact with them. However that would not explain why two dogs might get on. My thought is that dogs are adaptable to the pack they are in and might pick up the general ethos of the family they live with, and in doing that recognise others with a similar ethos. That is only speculation on my part, but I have seen these behaviours in action so many times I can see there is something going on there. Which then leads me to the question how much of our behaviour is instinctual that we are not even noticing, like do humans select each other on a completely instinctual level, that has not been examined that leads different families to have different ethoses? Oh and by the way both my dogs like all dogs I have uncounted love routine and they are sensible animals.

'Future Shock' since being recommended to me I have read reviews and it is very much about the sort of things I am interested in and I will be reading it as soon as I can. I am not sure that I will agree with some of its conclusions, but they are the best sort of books for me I like stuff that challenges me, far more than something that just says the same things as I think now.

Baruch

Ah, but unlike Revelations ... Future Shock actually became true ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: jonb on October 23, 2015, 07:00:07 AM
Tony the dog pictured above is ten now and going into a frail stage where problems slowly become more serious. He is only my second dog. I must say that having dogs has taught me so much. Firstly how instinctual people are. These things have no hard and fast rules, but there are generalities one learns having a dog. For instance taking my dog for a walk everyday I soon learnt that if they get on with another dog it is more or less a rule of thumb I will get on with the other pet owner. I have to question is that because dogs are good at picking up all the minor signals humans give off. I know of many old ladies that select gardeners or other helpers by the way their dogs interact with them. However that would not explain why two dogs might get on. My thought is that dogs are adaptable to the pack they are in and might pick up the general ethos of the family they live with, and in doing that recognise others with a similar ethos. That is only speculation on my part, but I have seen these behaviours in action so many times I can see there is something going on there. Which then leads me to the question how much of our behaviour is instinctual that we are not even noticing, like do humans select each other on a completely instinctual level, that has not been examined that leads different families to have different ethoses? Oh and by the way both my dogs like all dogs I have uncounted love routine and they are sensible animals.

'
Not sure who Tony is, but I do agree with what you say about dogs.  I have grown to trust their instincts about people.  We had a black lab/great dane rescue dog once who just did not like a repairman who came to give us an estimate on some repair work in the house.  He just never reacted that way about anybody before.  So, we did not hire that guy.  All of our dogs like routine, as well.  And they will tell us when were are not on schedule.  One habit I wish they would break is getting up in the morning.  When I was working, I got up at 5 am every day to take them for a walk and then feed them before I went to work.  Now that I'm retired they still get up at 5 am, wanting their walk.  They don't like the idea of waiting until 6, or so. :)  I don't need an alarm clock, for they are very accurate in telling time.  I love having them in my life.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?