News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

America and the Dutch

Started by Gerard, October 19, 2015, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

As you all know I'm Dutch. I watched this TedX talk with particular interest. It's about the Dutch footprint in America. Factoid: The Dutch founded New York City and Albany!

Very interesting. New York State including the Hudson river area was originally Dutch. Martin van Buren, the 8th President had Dutch as his native language!

Gerard (hey ok. I'm Dutch......)

Hydra009

Quote from: Gerard on October 19, 2015, 02:46:41 PMMartin van Buren, the 8th President had Dutch as his native language!

Gerard (hey ok. I'm Dutch......)
Teddy Roosevelt and FDR were of Dutch descent, too.

Gerard

Yes, the Roosevelt family (it's a Dutch name meaning field of roses) originally came from Zeeland, in the southwest of the Netherlands.

Gerard

Baruch

Capitalism, such as it is, started in Amsterdam.  Long distance trade required investment and general stock companies.  The Dutch East Indies Company  or VOC was the first multinational corporations ... Holland also had the first central bank (even before England) and the first modern stock exchange.  The VOC depended on transport insurance.  The dollar is originally the daler in Holland.  Its use in New Amsterdam would be decisive vs an origin elsewhere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Melly

I saw the video it was great.

SGOS

And then there's the Pennsylvania Dutch, whatever that is, but an Amish man told be he was essentially Pennsylvania Dutch.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 24, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
And then there's the Pennsylvania Dutch, whatever that is, but an Amish man told be he was essentially Pennsylvania Dutch.

In Pennsylvania, Doitsch as in German.  The OP is Dutch as in Holland.  Amish men are actually from the German part of Switzerland.  Austrians don't like to be called Germans, either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 24, 2016, 09:36:17 AM

That's "deutch" meaning "german".  So was my Gramma...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!