News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Turkey vs Europe

Started by Baruch, January 01, 2017, 10:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

1683 was the last time the Ottoman Empire was a threat to Europe ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdDMHZdMXc8

At that time, the Polish army was no joke.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

The forum title is Turkey vs Europe. The video is about a war by Ottoman Empire in 17th century. Turkey is founded in 1923 by the people who ended the Ottoman Empire, defeating the European forces, supported by the US in alliance along with it.

Brilliant historical perspective, Baruch.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Ah, so there is no USA ... just the outgoing Obama administration ... on which we can heap all our hopes and fears.

In my perspective, I have a hard time deciding who to root for, the Ottomans or the Austrian/Polish/German league.  The Ottomans were much more civilized than the Ata-turks or their immediate predecessors, the Young Turks ... the Ottomans welcomed Jewish people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

As an atheist, I have no skin in the game of Christian vs Moslem.  But if we are discussing history, it is worthwhile to remember that the early Moslems of various nations attacked the Christians first.  Beginning with the conversion-by-sword across Christian North Africa, continuing into Christian Spain and Christian Southeast Europe, the Moslems began a fight that continues to this day.

Europe at the time was fighting off Vikings from the North, Huns from the Eastern steppes, and Moslems from the Southwest and southeast.  To survive, it is little surprise that Christian Europe became an alliance of various thugs and butchers (politely called "knights").

When those thugs organized sufficient armies to push the war to the Moslem home territory, the Moslems cried "foul"!  And that continues to this day. 

I'm not on either side, but I know hypocrisy when I see it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!