A few questions for all kinds of unbelievers

Started by SHIN KAIRI, March 16, 2013, 11:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: "Rin Hato"+1 rep

We need a rep system or thank system, to up vote great posts.

Can we have one?
While we're at it, can we get a suggestions thread?

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"
Quote from: "mnmelt"OMG enough already..@@@

Rainbows appear when raindrops (similar to a prism) reflect sunlight, thus breaking white sunlight into colors.
How is light reflected to create rainbows?

As light enters a water droplet, the different wavelength colors bend at slightly separate angles. Some of this light reflects off the back of the droplet and is bent a second time as the droplet emerges from the light beam. Drops at different angles send distinctively different colors to the eye.

If light is hitting raindrops at a proper angle, a secondary, larger rainbow will appear outside of the main rainbow. This secondary rainbow is fainter in color than the main one because the light has been reflected twice by each raindrop. This double reflection also reverses the colors in the secondary rainbow.

To see a rainbow, an observer must have her back to the sun and rain must be falling in some part of the sky. Since each raindrop is lit by the white light of the sun, a spectrum of colors is produced.

No two observers will ever witness exactly the same rainbow because each will view a different set of drops at a slightly different angle. Also, each color seen is from different raindrops.

Crikey...!!!!   :Hangman:

BULLSHIT!

Rainbows form because the goddamn leprechauns needed an inconspicuous hiding place, and rainbows are inconspicuous as fuck.

Now we're finally getting somewhere with this great question.

It's not like you can artificially replicate a rainbow in the spray of a waterfall
[spoil:2fffhyru][/spoil:2fffhyru]

or with your hose in the backyard on a sunny day.
[spoil:2fffhyru][/spoil:2fffhyru]
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

SGOS

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"
Quote from: "mnmelt"OMG enough already..@@@

Rainbows appear when raindrops (similar to a prism) reflect sunlight, thus breaking white sunlight into colors.
How is light reflected to create rainbows?

As light enters a water droplet, the different wavelength colors bend at slightly separate angles. Some of this light reflects off the back of the droplet and is bent a second time as the droplet emerges from the light beam. Drops at different angles send distinctively different colors to the eye.

If light is hitting raindrops at a proper angle, a secondary, larger rainbow will appear outside of the main rainbow. This secondary rainbow is fainter in color than the main one because the light has been reflected twice by each raindrop. This double reflection also reverses the colors in the secondary rainbow.

To see a rainbow, an observer must have her back to the sun and rain must be falling in some part of the sky. Since each raindrop is lit by the white light of the sun, a spectrum of colors is produced.

No two observers will ever witness exactly the same rainbow because each will view a different set of drops at a slightly different angle. Also, each color seen is from different raindrops.

Crikey...!!!!   :Hangman:

BULLSHIT!

Rainbows form because the goddamn leprechauns needed an inconspicuous hiding place, and rainbows are inconspicuous as fuck.

Now we're finally getting somewhere with this great question.

It's not like you can artificially replicate a rainbow in the spray of a waterfall
[spoil:19j0sykn][ Image ][/spoil:19j0sykn]

or with your hose in the backyard on a sunny day.
[spoil:19j0sykn][ Image ][/spoil:19j0sykn]
Seems like a week since I've looked at this thread.  I'm happy to see you guys are taking this rainbow controversy seriously. :-D

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "SGOS"Seems like a week since I've looked at this thread.  I'm happy to see you guys are taking this rainbow controversy seriously. :-D
:lol: It's more interesting than the OP was.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

BarkAtTheMoon

Simon Moon

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Most of these are really silly indeed, but I'll actually be a good sport and answer them just in case he's genuinly ignorant and not a troll.

I'm going with genuinely ignorant AND a troll.

Quote4ยบ How do you explain Polonium 218?
What's to explain? Ask a scientist.

If I had to make a guess, I would say he is referring to the 'Polonium 218 halos' that some creationists claim are evidence of a young earth.

I doubt he even knows what his own question means, though. It is just a creationist buzzword.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell