News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Earth is flat and gravity doesn't exist

Started by Hydra009, October 15, 2015, 02:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDk5mlas_fg

Man, I love this guy's videos!  Just the right amount of snark and scientific skepticism.

This flat Earther is so dumb that he might be on my short list of dumbest youtubers ever.  The best part was when he seriously claimed that astronauts (allegedly) on the moon would've gotten pelted by micrometeorites.  Obviously, meteorite and micrometeorite impacts do happen - the moon has craters for a reason -  but he seriously overestimates the risk.  I'd be like claiming that due to the high number of lightning strikes on the Earth (an average of 44/sec), you couldn't walk to your car without getting zapped.

mauricio

lmao what the fuck is wrong with this flat earther this is hilarious. Armored skeptic is pretty entertaining.

drunkenshoe

Flat Earth Society is a serious source for 'fun' after you passed the 'I don't know if I should laugh or cry to this ' phase.

E: I like Armoured Sceptic. His common sense and general approach beats a lot of 'sceptics' out there, besides his intelligence. I especially like that he puts a distance between the character called Armour Sceptic that created and himself as a real person. I haven't seen him throwing any hatred to any group ou there, but just plainly ciritcising acts, concepts, beliefs and media...from the biggest picture.

In one of his video, he talks about how he is subscribed to a very various point of views while not attached to anything but rationality.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

josephpalazzo

When I heard the voice over saying: men lie... I thought that could be Baruch doing the talking...

On a serious note: one flaw in that video. Matter does not displace space but space-time. It's a common mistake.

Baruch

Thanks for the defamation ... or are we talking economic deflation ;-)  All words are equal in Newspeak.  I love this guy in the helmet ... he may be using laymen's terms, but his rhetoric is hilarious.  He should go into politics (tis the season and Obama was mentioned, the new version of "you lose if you mention Hitler first").  All the politicians heads would explode from all the crap they have stuffed between their ears, and the guy in the helmet wouldn't have any concern about relieving the pressure.  Skepticism is good, even if someone isn't trying to sell you something ... though nut cases like Pyrrho will take it too far, all the way to epistemological nihilism.

And yes, men do lie, often in bed, often with someone else, often on top of that someone else, doing adults know what.  See, see ... "lie" vs "lie" ... Newspeak is real!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

So you were the one that Johnny Cash was singing about?  My sincere commiseration.  My real first name is Nancy ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2015, 07:14:13 AM
So you were the one that Johnny Cash was singing about?  My sincere commiseration.  My real first name is Nancy ;-))

Why do you have to cast aspersion on someone who is dead... I guess nothing is sacred for you. Your resentment towards life knows no bound.

Gawdzilla Sama

I joined the International Flat Earth Society back in 1982. When my clearances came up for review they had that information in my file. We had a good laugh about that. Except the dour FBI dude. He never smiled once. Made me wonder just how dangerous a flat Earth was.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 15, 2015, 02:25:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDk5mlas_fg
[derail]I note his "expression" is straight out of anime.* One eye wide open, the other squeeze shut. Can anyone tell me what that's supposed to convey?

*"Anime" because I have never heard of "hentai". Seriously, never.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 15, 2015, 07:33:23 AM
I joined the International Flat Earth Society back in 1982. When my clearances came up for review they had that information in my file. We had a good laugh about that. Except the dour FBI dude. He never smiled once. Made me wonder just how dangerous a flat Earth was.

Perhaps you could be taken as a mental case and thus a potential risk.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 15, 2015, 07:39:47 AM
Perhaps you could be taken as a mental case and thus a potential risk.
That was the chuckle part. I'd had various clearances for the previous 12 years and TPTB never had any issues at review time. The pshrink's review had included the statement that "Petty officer is saner than most of my staff." I would have added "...or me" that line, but he must have forgotten to do so.
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

What's worse, a guy in a tinfoil hat saying gravity isn't real or a Bible thumper saying gravity isn't about attraction between forces in space but it's really just the weight of God's love on you?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 15, 2015, 08:45:21 AM
What's worse, a guy in a tinfoil hat saying gravity isn't real or a Bible thumper saying gravity isn't about attraction between forces in space but it's really just the weight of God's love on you?

FYI: Newton, the discoverer of gravity's mathematical formula, had such a belief.