New York woman sues 12 year old nephew who broke her wrist

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 13, 2015, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Hugging is over rated unless breasts are involved.  Yeah I know ..it sounds mysoginistic, but for practical purposes breasts make hugging fun.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

Well, she's finally telling her side of the story and it makes a bit more sense.

She didn't sue him because she's a bitch who wants to rival the spawn of Hitler and the Grinch, but as a formality as part of a homeowner's insurance claim to get her medical bill paid. I guess in Connecticut you can't name an insurance company in a suit: it has to be an individual. Since her nephew was the only possible person to name, that was how it had to be.

Apparently they still love each other very much and he doesn't understand why the media is skewering his aunt.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

Well it just goes to show that insurance companies will always trump family love. Remember that the next time you hug your insurance agent.

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 15, 2015, 10:59:56 AM
Remember that the next time you hug your insurance agent.

Come on, do the jingle.
LIKE A GOOD NEIGHBOR!... Stay over there.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

Well they say that the good hands people have been jerking us off for years ..

Munch

So she would be fine with taking health insurance from her nephew, so when he needs it, he'll just suffer and die.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on October 15, 2015, 12:50:35 PM
So she would be fine with taking health insurance from her nephew, so when he needs it, he'll just suffer and die.

It's not taking health insurance away from her nephew at all?

All she did was file a claim against her homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of her medical expenses resulting from the fall, they denied it, she tried to sue them, she was informed under law she couldn't sue the company, so she had to sue an individual in order to get the company to pay. Her nephew was never going to have to pay anything or lose any kind health insurance or homeowner's insurance. 

AllPurposeAtheist

Munch, here in the states insurance is one giant clusterfuck from the beginning. An example is if you drive by a golf course and a ball gets hit and breaks your windshield of your car and you try to claim it on insurance they'll tell you that the golf course was there first and won't cover the cost of repairing the window so you have to lie to say that a rock hit it from something like a truck on a highway carrying rocks or some other such lie.
In this case the insurance company wouldn't pay until the person responsible for causing the broken wrist was sued and it's tossed out of court. The court knows about this absurd formality ,but has to play along.

TomFoolery

I do sometimes forget many people here are from other countries that probably handle insurance in a way that doesn't involve a 10,000 member dog and pony show.

Gawdzilla Sama

You can settle with an insurance company and then sue the insured. It's a fun threat to throw at claim handlers who are a bit balky.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Sometimes it helps to have all the info before we hang a person, but its not necessary….
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on October 15, 2015, 09:07:20 PM
Sometimes it helps to have all the info before we hang a person, but its not necessary….
Nah, Judge Lynch has been a poster since USENET days.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

It's the nature of "reporting" anymore. News organizations, especially newspapers have little to no competition when most of news most of us get is from aggregate sourcers.  Here in Columbia there's one paper and it's about as useless as a newspaper can be. Major flooding in the city and the front page is all about South Carolina football.  Go figure.

TomFoolery

I've seen a few stories about this crop up again on social media and many people seem ready to condemn the insurance industries (as they should). Yet it doesn't seem like many people are quick to acknowledge how ready anyone is to eviscerate people over clickbait stories.

So what's truer than the truth? The amount of money to be made from clickbait stories apparently.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp