Gamergate and the great world wide web war.

Started by mauricio, October 07, 2015, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: hrdlr110 on October 08, 2015, 12:59:50 AM
Actually, I don't even know what it is. But that's 4 posts for you in this thread you don't give a shit about.

So you're keeping count? So what other things do you like to count?
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

mauricio

Quote from: hrdlr110 on October 08, 2015, 12:59:50 AM
Actually, I don't even know what it is. But that's 4 posts for you in this thread you don't give a shit about.

Here you have a 60 second resume of the start of it, it's been going on for more than a year now. Basically it was a scandal due to gaming media sites breaching journalistic ethics (writing articles about people they were in a relationship with) which they tried to deflect by calling the gamers misogynistic nerds because apparently calling out a developer in a romantic relationship with a media writer who mentioned her game in a positive light without disclosure of their relationship is shaming her for her sexual activities. And shit blew up because some popular internet feminists (anita ''games make you sexist'' sarkeesian) and "progressives" joined the shaming of all of those who dared to talk about it and there was mass deletion of comments and threads in 4chan and reddit. And all of the gaming news sites involved in breaches of ethics starting publishing articles slandering gamers and gamergate, many of their writers participated in a private mailing list where they discussed what they were gonna publish (which is a big no-no in journalistic ethics) They published various articles in their different websites in seemingly coordinated fashion (all in in the same day) about the death of the gamer identity because according to them they were all sexist white manchildren, they justified this by focusing on insults and threats in anonymous tweets without bothering with engaging the gamergate people making polite arguments. To combat the identity politics narrative GG create the #notyourshield hashtag where minorities would post photos of themselves and show their support for gamergate, despite this the gaming media and their allies doubled down on the GGers are all sexist white male nerds narrative. From there the issue just got bigger and bigger entering in other realms of politics and media, which is why some call it a culture war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4

Sal1981

IDK, I (still) kinda like ZeroPunctuation, a gaming journalist, misanthropic reviews of games. Mainly because he's so funny in his all-encompassing derision of games.

hrdlr110

Sounds interesting, sort of. I'm not a gamer, but still surprised I'm only hearing about this now. Will they make a movie about it one day?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

GrinningYMIR

I'm anti sarkeesian. About sums up my feels towards it. And about he sexualization of women in games? Done to guys and no one cares. No one bats an eye.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

I love video games.  I love sports, especially baseball.  And that is why I don't give a rat's fart about gamer gate--or steroids use baseball.  Give me my Fallout 4--I don't give a shit about the inner politics of how this was produced.  I know that that kind of crap goes on everywhere, everywhen.  I've seen it and lived it too often.  Now, let me play my game----I block all that other shit. 

In baseball cheating has been going on from the beginning.  It will never end.  Pro players play to win--and whatever enhances that is used.  I don't want to study in detail who used what and how.  Just not interested.  Did A. Rod use PED's?  Don't give a shit.  He was an all time great player and I liked to watch him play.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on October 08, 2015, 09:19:00 AM
I'm anti sarkeesian. About sums up my feels towards it. And about he sexualization of women in games? Done to guys and no one cares. No one bats an eye.

sums up my feelings to. Here in the uk it took me a while to understand what the gamergate event was, but it turned out to be a load of repressive asshats disgusing there want to control people as equality. She really is the worst kind of cunt.

As someone who grew up with a love of games and comic books, I've enjoyed both genders in these genres, from Lara Croft to Raziel, from Storm to Wolverine, from Amaterasu to Snake, from Wonder Woman to Batman, All of them are strong characters in their respected roles and stories, and as a gay man there as never been this baleful cry about "THESE CHARACTERS NEED TO BE GAY OR I'M CALLING FOR THE UN COME DOWN ON YOU!" crap. Would I like more gay characters in these mediums, yes, of course, but that hasn't stopped me loving the characters in games and comics all the same just because I'd like to see more people of my own sexuality.

Sarkeesian is a misrable bitch who can't appreciate anything, she can't step out of her own shoes for five minutes and learn to just get adsorbed into the fictional worlds and stories that games make. Same goes for Zoe Quinn and all other people like them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm only posting my shitless not giveashit thoughts on not giving a shit.
I seriously doubt that the rest of the non-gaming community really cares about it, but for me I give a shit daily to the Columbia South Carolina department of water and sewage ...usually around 10am.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 08, 2015, 01:17:21 PM
I seriously doubt that the rest of the non-gaming community really cares about it, but for me I give a shit daily to the Columbia South Carolina department of water and sewage ...usually around 10am.

is this before or after coffee?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

LOL@ the thread.

I love Sarkeesian hurt boys. That woman is really getting to people. :lol:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 08, 2015, 01:17:21 PM
10 am???  Damn.  And for Munch, I have my mug of coffee at about 5:30 am and follow up with giving a shit about 6:30.  Rituals are just grand!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 08, 2015, 09:48:05 AMI love video games.  I love sports, especially baseball.  And that is why I don't give a rat's fart about gamer gate--or steroids use baseball.  Give me my Fallout 4--I don't give a shit about the inner politics of how this was produced.  I know that that kind of crap goes on everywhere, everywhen.  I've seen it and lived it too often.  Now, let me play my game----I block all that other shit.
I agree, but these misguided social justice shitstorms do have the potential to harm games.  The gaming subculture survived the moral crusaders from the right in the 90s, but we're not faring nearly as well against moral crusaders from the left in the 10s.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 08, 2015, 01:41:39 PM
LOL@ the thread.

I love Sarkeesian hurt boys. That woman is really getting to people. :lol:

I never seen anything more silly that gmaergate. I just can't understand why some take it so seriously as if it was important. This is their issue! Not economic injustice, not starving kids or war but fucking videogames! And this all started with some geek getting all butthurt over his ex-girlfriend dating other people. This shit was ridiculous right from the beginning and it keeps getting more stupid and stupid has time goes on.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

GrinningYMIR

She's a bitch, always has been a bitch and is still a bitch tomorrow. She's just a loud bitch.

Maybe she needs to get laid
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit