Gamergate and the great world wide web war.

Started by mauricio, October 07, 2015, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I agree shoe, the only people that can have a halting effect on games is politicians. But I personally doubt that politicians would go as far as to do anything like make games so gender neutral that there are no more sexy men or women anymore at even any degree. I don't think they would take away the "princess rescue" objective from games. I don't think will do any of that. It's possible, but highly unlikely, at least in my view of it.  I think this whole thing is a non-issue, in all honesty.
I got heated when I first heard of Soreconcussion, but after actually thinking about the situation... I realized this:
A-neat-uhh and people like her in this "war" are loads of shit. They complain and complain and demonize things like women wearing dresses and makeup while wearing it themselves. Nothing they say holds a gram of weight and I know other people realize this, even at a very subtle level.

There is no war. It's just loads of drama... and the sooner people realize this, the sooner we move on from this "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" nonsense.

This isn't to say that women don't have all the rights that men do... they don't. But in the world of video games... this is bullshit. And for women to pick this fight in this way, by trying to take away rights of other developers and silence their creative voice, instead of encouraging feminine creative voices to get their game developing in gear and on the shelves.... I feel is only hurting their cause.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 11, 2015, 07:20:27 PM
I agree shoe, the only people that can have a halting effect on games is politicians. But I personally doubt that politicians would go as far as to do anything like make games so gender neutral that there are no more sexy men or women anymore at even any degree. I don't think they would take away the "princess rescue" objective from games. I don't think will do any of that. It's possible, but highly unlikely, at least in my view of it.  I think this whole thing is a non-issue, in all honesty.
I got heated when I first heard of Soreconcussion, but after actually thinking about the situation... I realized this:
A-neat-uhh and people like her in this "war" are loads of shit. They complain and complain and demonize things like women wearing dresses and makeup while wearing it themselves. Nothing they say holds a gram of weight and I know other people realize this, even at a very subtle level.

There is no war. It's just loads of drama... and the sooner people realize this, the sooner we move on from this "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" nonsense.

This isn't to say that women don't have all the rights that men do... they don't. But in the world of video games... this is bullshit. And for women to pick this fight in this way, by trying to take away rights of other developers and silence their creative voice, instead of encouraging feminine creative voices to get their game developing in gear and on the shelves.... I feel is only hurting their cause.

I think there is a general misunderstanding about what might be coming and that is due to a hatred of a specific vlogger; Anit aSarkeesian. You are seeing this issue through her while it is much different and bigger than gender neutralising video games. May be I should have made it clear in my post, so sorry about that. I wasn't talking about gender issues some see and some don't.

Bear with me.

The only way video games would get an altering impact is that it could be tied to a huge domestic issue in the US. And you do have an issue of that sort. Gun violence. This is the independent point of the situation.

Now the other point is, when I, you, we think about video games and their visual patterns we think countless of them in their genres, sub genres or categories and know the most difefrences. I sit down and watch game plays for posted by gamers of the games I have never played, for hours. I have an idea what is going on there. It's familiar to me. However, when it comes to the nongaming population, they see people actively interacting with 'colourful', 'realistic' stimulations of violence when it comes to the specific games. Their point is that those games are designed to internalise the violent experience.

And while they are the bigger group, their profile is very different. This is the exact bullshit of parents claiming that a movie or a show with 'adult' conversation and experience presented makes kids 'bad'. Have you ever talked with people about gaming who hasn't played any other game than bejeweled (new name?) or farm frenzy? I have.

Age is not that important, but they are mostly parents. And their frame of mind on anything is completely diferent than ours which makes them vulnerable to any politics that would be marketed as some 'solution' that they could follow. Bullshit or not.  This is what I am talking about. Everyday, as media gets filled with some shooting esp. considering the news scope is now international, the amount of people coming up with the reaction of 'the tv shows, movies and VIDEO GAMES!' is not small, they are bigger in numbers.

People blame zombies and shows, FPS games and the fantasy worlds people love to live in. And at some point very near this will be made into a solid background to a solid issue. A fantasy source for a real problem. And people will BUY that and support it. Because this is what happens all the time. NRA, Repulicans, anyone who is earning from guns to begin with.

And attempts of sterilising -as I call it- will start there.

:arrow: Nothing can be gender neutral. But games getting a higher quality in that department can only be achieved when males are not the dominating gender in the gaming world and only after that it could go that way by itself. Basically, if you are selling something to a one group in major scale, YOU would design it to that gender. In this case heterosexual male of various ages. They are the one making, buying and playing these games in a dominant scale. So this is how I look at that issue for the record. But people have a right to say anything about it in panels or in the vlogs and pages they make. Bullshit like Gamergate just makes the whole gaming world look like a bunch od violent zealots to the rest of the world. Multiple bombing and mass murder threats man. In the US. There is nothing better than to shout 'we are just a bunch of useless scary morons sitting in front of computer all day, don't dare to touch our games or we'll destroy'. Gamers already had negative stigmatisation. That you are unsocial or even anti-social (ffs) if you are passionate about your game, playing it straight for hours and hours. I have heard similar things myself countless times.

Now, if this sounds ridiculous to you about games getting altered stupidly that we cannot even get to shoot anything properly -at least for under 18- then ask your father and mother what they thought first time they heard about the smoking ban in public areas or transportation and so on. Everybody laughed and said: "Pwuuuhaa IMPOSSIBLE! These people are idiots." Now we have smoke ban in some cities in the individual homes, open air areas. Same happened in my country. Everyone laughed and said "in Europe, yeah. Here fuck off, not gonna happen."

You could say it is very different, but as long as the perception goes it is not. There is nothing that cannot be banned with suitable politics and media manipulation in the US. And people who are getting the cream of the gun industry, who is going to benefit from this politically are resourceful and rich enough to do that. They can create wars, invade countries, support terrorist groups, causes mass destruction annihilation, do you really think the gaming industry is a problem?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

QuoteGamergate just makes the whole gaming world look like a bunch od violent zealots to the rest of the world.

Not really the lies of the media may make it look like that, but all the people that actually know what it is: that actually were there when it spawned and saw it get slandered and censored since it's inception. Know you and the media are just full of shit. A casual glance to any of gamergate hubs will show you it is a movement based on free speech, intellectual honesty and journalistic ethics. Calling out the bullshit from the media and the "social justice warriors" by presenting dissenting opinions.

what are you so afraid of that you can't look at it with your own eyes?

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/

drunkenshoe

There is no such thing is as free speach for one group, while theatening the other with death, rape, mass murder and bombing attacks just because the former didn't like what the latter said.

Nail that into your head or fuck off, go live in Saudi Arabia.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 13, 2015, 03:07:05 AM
There is no such thing is as free speach for one group, while theatening the other with death, rape, mass murder and bombing attacks just because the former didn't like what the latter said.

Nail that into your head or fuck off, go live in Saudi Arabia.

Funny so i guess all muslims are terrorists? Thats literally the level of your argument and it is actually worse because the people who made the threats are anonymous and widely condemned by gamergate. There's literally no segment of gamergate that support those, they got all shunned (try anything like that at the GG subreddit and you get instabanned same in the GG board at 8chan). The people you should be condemning are /baphomet/ and /lolcow/ (and other troll hacker groups like ayyteam and lulzec) those are the ones that endorse those techniques and they also hate gamergate for according to them being pussies and call them gamergays.

drunkenshoe

That's not my argument. What I wrote up there is very clear. Obviously, not to social media intellectual spoilt brats like you who has no idea of the real world and human reality.

You are one sided, because you want to be, not because you are ignorant and in my book that's about worse than anythig you can come up with. You are not open to any dialogue, you have made up your mind about everything you post here and you just want to squabble and pour your exasperation about specific issues and to you if somebody doesn't think along that lines, they are stupid.

I'm putting you on ignore and I'll click and respond to your posts when I feel like it. Frankly, I don't care and don't feel that I should put my energy and time into some long post on...let's say Chomsky or other people you haven't even heard because there isn't a video about them in you tube to explain you the big gap between American celebrities showing up with comedians commenting on world issues and European intellectuals or philosophers; the mainstream perception of those issues in the US -'you're here' - and the huge difference between that; the fucking reality rest of the world llives as a result, so you could cherry pick your way through and tie them up to vlogger debates with snarky lines.

OK? Good. 

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 13, 2015, 05:28:53 AM
That's not my argument. What I wrote up there is very clear. Obviously, not to social media intellectual spoilt brats like you who has no idea of the real world and human reality.

You are one sided, because you want to be, not because you are ignorant and in my book that's about worse than anythig you can come up with. You are not open to any dialogue, you have made up your mind about everything you post here and you just want to squabble and pour your exasperation about specific issues and to you if somebody doesn't think along that lines, they are stupid.

I'm putting you on ignore and I'll click and respond to your posts when I feel like it. Frankly, I don't care and don't feel that I should put my energy and time into some long post on...let's say Chomsky or other people you haven't even heard because there isn't a video about them in you tube to explain you the big gap between American celebrities showing up with comedians commenting on world issues and European intellectuals or philosophers; the mainstream perception of those issues in the US -'you're here' - and the huge difference between that; the fucking reality rest of the world llives as a result, so you could cherry pick your way through and tie them up to vlogger debates with snarky lines.

OK? Good. 

I'm one sided and ignorant right? When you have only taken 20 minutes to read a super biased article about gamergate and that makes you think you can tell me what gamergate is about? You make me laugh, I have been part of gamergate since it's start and been following it for over a year, and you think you can just say "hur dur it's a coordinated harassment campaign" when you do not even know shit about /baphomet/ the guys who their sole purpose is to dox, swat and harass people and have targeted anita, zoey and brianna wu. You do not know shit about this issue, get over it. NO matter how much you namedrop random intellectuals or jerk yourself over the inferiority of social media and american mainstream culture which has fuck all to do with this topic you absolute moron.

drunkenshoe

Enough...Fuck off. You got 5 times more attention than you deserved.

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 13, 2015, 03:37:35 PM
Enough...Fuck off. You got 5 times more attention than you deserved.

The journalists completely slandered gamergate with shitty reporting. They rather be lazy and copy their peers or cash in the sensationalist narrative of victimhood.

http://observer.com/2015/10/blame-gamergates-bad-rep-on-smears-and-shoddy-journalism/

Baruch

The Last Starfighter ... I mean ... last journalist was ... H L Mencken.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. - H L Mencken
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.