Gamergate and the great world wide web war.

Started by mauricio, October 07, 2015, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Quote''This is what gamergate does, it is sort of like a final chapter of 2 decades of internet wars about thought, speech, culture and politics"

For those who don't know what gamergate is:

Here you have a 60 second resume of the start of it, it's been going on for more than a year now. Basically it was a scandal due to gaming media sites breaching journalistic ethics (writing articles about people they were in a relationship with) which they tried to deflect by calling the gamers misogynistic nerds because apparently calling out a developer in a romantic relationship with a media writer who mentioned her game in a positive light without disclosure of their relationship is shaming her for her sexual activities. And shit blew up because some popular internet feminists (anita ''games make you sexist'' sarkeesian) and "progressives" joined the shaming of all of those who dared to talk about it and there was mass deletion of comments and threads in 4chan and reddit. And all of the gaming news sites involved in breaches of ethics starting publishing articles slandering gamers and gamergate, many of their writers participated in a private mailing list where they discussed what they were gonna publish (which is a big no-no in journalistic ethics) They published various articles in their different websites in seemingly coordinated fashion (all in in the same day) about the death of the gamer identity because according to them they were all sexist white manchildren, they justified this by focusing on insults and threats in anonymous tweets without bothering with engaging the gamergate people making polite arguments. To combat the identity politics narrative GG create the #notyourshield hashtag where minorities would post photos of themselves and show their support for gamergate, despite this the gaming media and their allies doubled down on the GGers are all sexist white male nerds narrative. From there the issue just got bigger and bigger entering in other realms of politics and media, which is why some call it a culture war.

Gamergate is like the battle for Stalingrad in the world wide web war that has been raging since the internet went online and people entrenched themselves in IRC and usenet. Even when this battle dies down the war rages on and more and more armies join in. Many of which are veterans from previous internet shitshows like the atheism vs religion battles of 2006 where they fought in the great battle of creationism vs evolution in the young citadel of youtube and later on the civil war among atheists of elevatorgate and atheism plus.

The fun thing about gamergate , at least for me , is that it has shifted people away from the tribalism of left vs right, it is no longer about hating different ideas, but about defending the freedom of individuals to have and express this ideas and to fight off those who want to make you conform to their standard through censorship and shaming. It's rather like a battle of libertarians vs authoritarians. Those who value more individual freedom and those who value more "safety" or their perceived greater good that will come at the expense of your right to express yourself freely.

I think the world wide web war is great it's like a huge grinder that mows everything down, no idea is sacred , ultimately if you know how to navigate it , if you have the right tools like science, skepticism, logic and reason. You can find purified gems of knowledge. It is a constant tension and conflict of ideas that shapes the evolution of your thoughts and can make you progress by exposition to new ideas and arguments that challenge you. Though obviously long and constant exposition is taxing so intervals of watching cute puppies and shit is advised.

The last 2 minutes of this video are pretty epic and a good summary of gamergate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3r0atokQvc&index=2&list=PLEbhOtC9klbAWet3KH7wWQ2mrhTRvxCGd

CrucifyCindy

I have some news for you: NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT #GAMERSGATE ANYMORE. The whole movement was discredited a long time ago. So much for The Beta Uprising.  God how I hate geel culture.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

mauricio

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on October 07, 2015, 09:28:38 PM
I have some news for you: NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT #GAMERSGATE ANYMORE. The whole movement was discredited a long time ago. So much for The Beta Uprising.  God how I hate geel culture.

And here you have the SJW in his natural habitat attempting to use his shamming tactics to shut down ideas that trigger him. Sadly *it was not very effective*

Yes no one gives a shit about fighting off this censorious people right?

Oh what is this?:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/
http://8ch.net/boards.html

Oh shit look at those almost 8k recently active users and literally hundreds of thousands of members that all collectively agree that speech should not be censored because some tumblrites and SJW get offended and call  disagreement harassment.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: mauricio on October 07, 2015, 09:44:14 PM
And here you have the SJW in his natural habitat attempting to use his shamming tactics to shut down ideas that trigger him. Sadly *it was not very effective*

Yes no one gives a shit about fighting off this censorious people right?

Oh what is this?:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/
http://8ch.net/boards.html

Oh shit look at those almost 8k recently active users and literally hundreds of thousands of members that all collectively agree that speech should not be censored because some tumblrites and SJW get offended and call  disagreement harassment.

I can't believe that you are so pathetic that you compared some online hissy fit that some geeks are having (and no one else cares about) to the fucking Battle of Stalingrad. I mean really?
 William S. Burroughs

mauricio

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on October 07, 2015, 09:47:12 PM
I can't believe that you are so pathetic that you compared some online hissy fit that some geeks are having (and no one else cares about) to the fucking Battle of Stalingrad. I mean really?

It's called humor, bruh. Why are you so uptight? Is it cause I showed your claim of no one giving a shit to be patently false? Might want to go to your nearest echochamber if you don't like being challenged.

Hijiri Byakuren

I agree with Gamergate in principle, but in practice I don't really think it matters. Professional review sites haven't been relevant in nearly a decade: it's all about consumer reviews and Let's Plays these days. You want to know how I know that? Because I didn't hear about Gamergate until months had already gone by. The vast majority of gamers don't give a shit one way or another, and rightly so.

I guess I'm with CrucifyCindy on this one. Comparing Gamergate to the Battle of Stalingrad is just plain ridiculous.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mauricio

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 07, 2015, 10:16:11 PM
I agree with Gamergate in principle, but in practice I don't really think it matters. Professional review sites haven't been relevant in nearly a decade: it's all about consumer reviews and Let's Plays these days. You want to know how I know that? Because I didn't hear about Gamergate until months had already gone by. The vast majority of gamers don't give a shit one way or another, and rightly so.

I guess I'm with CrucifyCindy on this one. Comparing Gamergate to the Battle of Stalingrad is just plain ridiculous.

The battle with game journalists is pretty much over, almost no one gives a shit about them (there are some legal cases to be resolved left), you are right people like totalbiscuit and steam reviews are what gamers care about, but gamergate has evolved  beyond that (actually it was since the start a multifaceted issue) as i explain in the OP. The whole war analogy was supposed to be absurd is a joke by means of hyperbole.

Hydra009

Quote from: mauricio on October 07, 2015, 10:28:59 PMThe battle with game journalists is pretty much over, almost no one gives a shit about them (there are some legal cases to be resolved left), you are right people like totalbiscuit and steam reviews are what gamers care about
Given the slew of articles from game journalists declaring the "death of the gamer", this is probably for the best.  Not much of a loss, to be honest.  However, it is unnerving to see this segment of the industry be so easily used by SJWs to broadcast whatever narrative they desire.

Baruch

Relative to the original post ... the latest rumbling is that all the major nations including China and the Vatican agree ... everyone must have a State issued ID to use the Internet (an electronic picture ID card with PKI and PIN), and that nothing can be posted without prior approval of national authority or the OK of the Vatican.  One giant BB run by anal retentive authoritarians.  I have already seen the future, on some "heavily moderated" sites.  Basically every post is an opportunity for libel ... so to prevent cross-legal-contamination of the web site, the web site must act as Gestapo in their own attempt to avoid legal entanglements.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

mauricio

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2015, 11:23:57 PM
Relative to the original post ... the latest rumbling is that all the major nations including China and the Vatican agree ... everyone must have a State issued ID to use the Internet (an electronic picture ID card with PKI and PIN), and that nothing can be posted without prior approval of national authority or the OK of the Vatican.  One giant BB run by anal retentive authoritarians.  I have already seen the future, on some "heavily moderated" sites.  Basically every post is an opportunity for libel ... so to prevent cross-legal-contamination of the web site, the web site must act as Gestapo in their own attempt to avoid legal entanglements.

That's when you burn your ID and go all cyberpunk up this bitch. Off the grid browsing with tor on hacked wifi behind 9 proxies and with all my script blocking add-ons turned on.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: mauricio on October 07, 2015, 11:38:19 PM
That's when you burn your ID and go all cyberpunk up this bitch. Off the grid browsing with tor on hacked wifi behind 9 proxies and with all my script blocking add-ons turned on.

I bet you've spent a lot of time on 4chan.
 William S. Burroughs

hrdlr110

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on October 07, 2015, 09:28:38 PM

3 posts in a thread you apparently don't give a shit about. That's interesting, and there's only one page! Maybe you need to rethink your position of shit giving?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: hrdlr110 on October 08, 2015, 12:52:34 AM
3 posts in a thread you apparently don't give a shit about. That's interesting, and there's only one page! Maybe you need to rethink your position of shit giving?

I am just being entertained. I can't believe some people take this gamergate shit seriously. I mean do you guys seriously want to make this your issue? I find it hilarious.
 William S. Burroughs

hrdlr110

Actually, I don't even know what it is. But that's 4 posts for you in this thread you don't give a shit about.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts