Atheist but culturally religious?

Started by jonb, October 05, 2015, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2016, 08:19:47 PM
The Tao Te Ching?

My subjective morality tells me that is okay because I just don't like gay people. Is it still better?
Objective morality: A false idea that someone thinks their morality is objective because they think it came from a god.
Subjective morality: Morality came to through reasoning, not always good morality, but typically yields the best results, often based on human nature to.
Arbitrary morality: When someone declares something to be immoral or moral, what religious texts do.
I'm editing this to clarify that I know, atheists can believe in subjective morality to, so let me rephrase it.
Objective morality: The stupid notion that a certain moral standard is somehow set in place in the universe.

Baruch

Quote from: Jannabear on January 12, 2016, 04:40:51 AM
Objective morality: A false idea that someone thinks their morality is objective because they think it came from a god.
Subjective morality: Morality came to through reasoning, not always good morality, but typically yields the best results, often based on human nature to.
Arbitrary morality: When someone declares something to be immoral or moral, what religious texts do.

Objective morality ... based on philosophy rather than religious texts.  But it is BS IMHO.

Tao Te Ching ... Eastern philosophy in general ... a Sage points a finger at the Moon.  You can look where he is pointing, or not.  But don't get fixated on his finger.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I would suggest that a society comes up with a subjective morality of it's own.  It is reflected in its civil laws and criminal laws; the laws that apply to all.  Even in a so called christian society, the agreed upon interpretation of the bible is subjective, for the bible can be claimed to be the objective source--but there is so much wiggle room in it that several different sets of laws can be called god's law.  And those subjective civil/criminal laws are in flux.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

doorknob

Not all religions were created equal.
'
I believe in japan they still celebrate religious holidays and go to temples while the majority of the country is still considered atheist.

I have no problem performing meaningless rituals as a cultural preservation but I do have a problem with preserving stupidity.

Take the religion out of religion then I won't have a problem with it.

Kind of like how I still love and celebrate christmas but I don't give two hoots about jesus.