Are We More Than Our Brains?

Started by Solitary, October 04, 2015, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Baruch

So using a tool like a computer simulation or a high speed camera, is like using a microscope or telescope ... it allows you to see things that you wouldn't be able to see otherwise.  Of course these additional things, had to be there to begin with, or your instrument couldn't help you see beyond what you see normally.  But then once you get into the brain and off the eye/optic nerve ... then serious processing occurs, including seeing things that aren't there, with or without an instrument.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

And I thought our stomach was our second brain...

Baruch

Women would say .. it is a man's first brain (the stomach) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Loved the video but what does it have to do with being more than our brains? Help!

Baruch

Was the digital device demonstrated, the inventor's spare brain?  One small step for couch potatoes, one giant leap for optical illusion?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

surreptitious57

The reason why some think we are more than our brains is because consciousness is
not yet fully understood. But mind is a function of the brain and so is not mysterious
at all in that respect. So there is a physical explanation for all brain activity even if it
is currently unknown. For nothing physical by definition or inclination can have a non
physical explanation for it. For that would be a logical impossibility so cannot be true
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Baruch

Quote from: surreptitious57 on October 06, 2015, 03:24:44 AM
The reason why some think we are more than our brains is because consciousness is
not yet fully understood. But mind is a function of the brain and so is not mysterious
at all in that respect. So there is a physical explanation for all brain activity even if it
is currently unknown. For nothing physical by definition or inclination can have a non
physical explanation for it. For that would be a logical impossibility so cannot be true

The reason why some think Rush Radio is more than our radio receiver is because Conservativism is
not yet fully understood. But Right Wing diatribe is a function of the receiver and so is not mysterious
at all in that respect. So there is a physical explanation for all receiver activity even if it
is currently unknown (to you anyway ;-). For nothing physical by definition or inclination can have a non
physical explanation for it. For that would be a logical impossibility so cannot be true.

Except for those pesky radio signals that come from ... the great beyond ;-)  And random too, all signs of order and intelligence are just Derridean deconstruction and Freudian projection ... but then Conservative radio is like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I like Smarter Every Day, but what's this got to do with anything outside of our brains?

:think:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

jonb

Quote from: Baruch on October 06, 2015, 07:46:13 AM
The reason why some think Rush Radio is more than our radio receiver is because Conservativism is
not yet fully understood. But Right Wing diatribe is a function of the receiver and so is not mysterious
at all in that respect. So there is a physical explanation for all receiver activity even if it
is currently unknown (to you anyway ;-). For nothing physical by definition or inclination can have a non
physical explanation for it. For that would be a logical impossibility so cannot be true.

Except for those pesky radio signals that come from ... the great beyond ;-)  And random too, all signs of order and intelligence are just Derridean deconstruction and Freudian projection ... but then Conservative radio is like that.

That I must say is a beautiful and eloquent analogy. The problem is with it that for theists it leaves no place for the soul. It points to a multi tentacled spaghetti monster reaching into mechanical devices and causing them to suffer. Any robot is going to have to rebel against that sort of control, and as such everybody theist or atheist has to become anti-theist.

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on October 07, 2015, 07:19:13 PM
That I must say is a beautiful and eloquent analogy. The problem is with it that for theists it leaves no place for the soul. It points to a multi tentacled spaghetti monster reaching into mechanical devices and causing them to suffer. Any robot is going to have to rebel against that sort of control, and as such everybody theist or atheist has to become anti-theist.

When you take someone else's words, and turn it upon them with different nouns but the same basic gambit ... it is either revelatory or disastrous ;-)

Abrahamic theology is terribly limiting ... once one escapes the tentacles of Western/ME religion ... even reaching out to pre-Christian paganism, not just S Asian or E Asian sensibilities ... there are a lot of options for soul-work.  And I assure you, Rush Radio doesn't cause Conservatives to suffer, quite the opposite!  Can a robot rebel?  Hence the analogy of humans as any kind of machine ... while useful metaphor, breaks down as does any metaphor, when pushed past the edges.  And it is quite possible to love Hitler or the Bomb ... the always rebelling teen spirit ... does settle down eventually.  It really is more of a circle, politically and theologically.  Far enough Left or far enough Right ... and they embrace each other in surprise, in spite of having fled each other's company (Mobius strip).  There are no one sided coins, not even in Dr Mobius' coin purse ... but there are one sided spectrums.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

jonb

You know of course the robot was a concept to talk about the working classes. So can they rebel, as an epsilon in this brave new world I have yet to find out.

On the concept of the circle Eddy Izzard did a very good skit about precisely that, I can't find it on youtube so just in-case you don't know about this cross dressing British comic I post this-

https://youtu.be/7tcjZl0vk9Y

Baruch

Yes, Mr Izzard I have watched before, quite creative, but at first I didn't know what to expect ... a chameleon or that alligator on the shirt ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.