News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stevia

Started by the_antithesis, March 15, 2013, 10:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitzWalsh

It would help if I was on one of those binge and purge diets.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

SilentFutility

I don't want to sound like I'm being a dick, but I drink a lot of tea, and I used to take a lot of sugar in it when I was younger.

If you cut sugar out of such drinks, they taste bitter and not very nice for a couple of weeks, but after that you get used to the flavour and begin to like it. Now I think tea with sugar tastes gross, and since cutting out sugar in other aspects of my diet I've found that after a period of hating it and craving sugar, I don't have such a sweet tooth anymore and appreciate the individual flavours of teas and coffees and the like a lot more now.

It probably isn't for everyone, but if your reasons for substituting are for health reasons, it may be worth simply trying to go without for a few weeks.

NitzWalsh

I've tried going without Dr Pepper for a few weeks. It never lasts though, I always give in to the Dr Pepper goodness.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

SilentFutility

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I've tried going without Dr Pepper for a few weeks. It never lasts though, I always give in to the Dr Pepper goodness.
I do love Dr.Pepper but I've cut out soft drinks almost entirely (other than special occasions such as restaurant visits, social events etc.)

Plu

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I've tried going without Dr Pepper for a few weeks. It never lasts though, I always give in to the Dr Pepper goodness.
I do love Dr.Pepper but I've cut out soft drinks almost entirely (other than special occasions such as restaurant visits, social events etc.)

I did the same, drinking only water now (mostly because I don't like tea). It's quite good for a diet, you cut out a lot of sugar that way.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SilentFutility"I don't want to sound like I'm being a dick, but I drink a lot of tea, and I used to take a lot of sugar in it when I was younger.

If you cut sugar out of such drinks, they taste bitter and not very nice for a couple of weeks, but after that you get used to the flavour and begin to like it. Now I think tea with sugar tastes gross, and since cutting out sugar in other aspects of my diet I've found that after a period of hating it and craving sugar, I don't have such a sweet tooth anymore and appreciate the individual flavours of teas and coffees and the like a lot more now.

It probably isn't for everyone, but if your reasons for substituting are for health reasons, it may be worth simply trying to go without for a few weeks.

This really doesn't tell us anything about stevia.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just use uncut cocaine and you'll likely never notice things are completely unsweetened. Of course you probably won't notice you have no appetite either so it's win/win! Lose weight and feel great even through malnutrition! :P
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "the_antithesis"This really doesn't tell us anything about stevia.
No, but a common complaint with sugar substitutes is that they taste bad, and if that's the case then having nothing and learning to like that is preferable to a sugar substitute.

Quote from: "Plu"I did the same, drinking only water now (mostly because I don't like tea). It's quite good for a diet, you cut out a lot of sugar that way.
Yeah you do.
I've also taken to having fruits after meals rather than a bit of chocolate or something, as after a savoury meal I always have a craving for sugar/sweetness.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SilentFutility"No, but a common complaint with sugar substitutes is that they taste bad, and if that's the case then having nothing and learning to like that is preferable to a sugar substitute.

My main complaint is that sugar substitutes tend to be less healthy for you that sugar. Cancer in lab rats and all that. Stevia, at first glance, appeared to be different. So I was curious.

Another point in stevia's favor is i could, were I so inclined, grow my own. I don't know if it would thrive in this climate or if it's just small enough that I could grow it like a house plant. You can't do that with sugar cane or beets or other sources of sugar as it would require a large amount to get the same level of sweetness. But growing and drying my own stevia sounds like a neat thing to do... if it's actually worth it.

SvZurich

Same here.  Especially Cherry Dr. Pepper.  If I am getting a fountain drink, I like to mix Dr. Pepper with root beer.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

stromboli

Stevia doesn't have an aftertaste like Aspartame. It is just sweet. I think Sabrina's approach is probably best, get ahold of the pure stuff and use it in liquid form.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "SilentFutility"No, but a common complaint with sugar substitutes is that they taste bad, and if that's the case then having nothing and learning to like that is preferable to a sugar substitute.

My main complaint is that sugar substitutes tend to be less healthy for you that sugar. Cancer in lab rats and all that. Stevia, at first glance, appeared to be different. So I was curious.

Another point in stevia's favor is i could, were I so inclined, grow my own. I don't know if it would thrive in this climate or if it's just small enough that I could grow it like a house plant. You can't do that with sugar cane or beets or other sources of sugar as it would require a large amount to get the same level of sweetness. But growing and drying my own stevia sounds like a neat thing to do... if it's actually worth it.
Growing your own would be pretty cool actually, especially if a lot of stevia based products aren't very pure or are processed incorrectly as has been mentioned.

Quote from: "SvZurich"Especially Cherry Dr. Pepper.
We don't have that in the UK!
Like most foreign foods though, there are importers and sellers on ebay and amazon, I'm a little bit tempted to buy a can to try it. I'm sure I'll never get round to it though.

Plu

Cherry Dr Pepper did taste pretty good. It tastes mostly like coke but it smells great. They did once sell it here, although I haven't seen it in quite a while.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "stromboli"Stevia doesn't have an aftertaste like Aspartame. It is just sweet. I think Sabrina's approach is probably best, get ahold of the pure stuff and use it in liquid form.

I'll tell you why.  When I'm finished with a cup of coffee it's practically a dessert.  (yay)  So.......  with the drops - it only takes two drops to make it taste the way three spoonfuls of sugar would take.  lol
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"... a cup of coffee ... three spoonfuls of sugar
That's either one huge cup or you have one heck of a sweet tooth.  Have a little coffee with your sugar?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.