News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Laws about baby names

Started by TomFoolery, October 01, 2015, 09:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The Nazi episode on Star Trek classic ... stated that Fascism was very efficient (Spock said it, so it must be true) ... hence the violation of the Prime Directive by the earlier Federation operative whose similar mistaken view had to be undone by Capt Kirk.  Of course it is also false that FDR got the US out of the Depression.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 01, 2015, 11:46:41 PM
I met a woman who named her son LaPrecious. LaPrecious may sound good for an infant but it is hard for any adult to be taken seriously with a name like that.
Sounds better when Gollum says it.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Abdukadir Cadde

If you can name your baby what whatever you want, then you can risk his future. Names should be appropriate. What if a parent name their son like " dog", " idiot" or something worse? You can not say they won't because you don't know what all parents should do to name their  children.
Naming your children is a vital point and parents should be careful with it. Legal should also control that to ensure future generation have good names.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

trdsf

I would like to at least see a spell-checker at the hospital.  And someone with the authority to ask, "Are you sure about that?"  A name is, legal action notwithstanding, something you're going to carry for life and shouldn't be given out simply because it 'sounded cute'.  What sounds cute for an infant sounds ridiculous on a 50-something.

Xavier is a name.  Xzayvion is not, it's a typing error.  Ur-Hyness is wrong on so many levels.  King and Sir just sound ridiculous.  If we're going to give parents the right to ruin a child's life with a ridiculous name, we should offer one free legal re-name at the age of 18 for those who want something suitable for a human being rather than a pet.

I will also add that I have never met an adult 'Unique' (or 'Uneek') or a 'Precious' (or 'Preshaz') who wasn't a selfish spoiled bitch.  And that every name I've mentioned above, I have encountered.

I would give my left nut to meet one under-10 named Bobby or Jim or Bill.  I'm sick to my back teeth with Nevaehs and Kalebs and Jaxons and Khloes.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

TomFoolery

Quote from: trdsf on October 12, 2015, 10:02:58 PM
I would like to at least see a spell-checker at the hospital.  And someone with the authority to ask, "Are you sure about that?"  A name is, legal action notwithstanding, something you're going to carry for life and shouldn't be given out simply because it 'sounded cute'.  What sounds cute for an infant sounds ridiculous on a 50-something.

I've met a lot of people whose parents seemed to play fast and loose with the rules of phonics. Like, you don't get to reimagine the English language because you like the sound of one name and the spelling of another and get to pretend like they jive.

In basic training I ran across a girl named Chaire who informed me it was pronounced "Shire." Sorry, don't think so. Xahymes isn't pronounced "James" and "A-a" isn't pronounced "Ah-dash-a."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 02, 2015, 01:51:55 AM
This guy somehow made it work.  Even landed a government job.

:eek:

I think he is getting by the absurdity of it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 13, 2015, 07:44:03 AM
I've met a lot of people whose parents seemed to play fast and loose with the rules of phonics. Like, you don't get to reimagine the English language because you like the sound of one name and the spelling of another and get to pretend like they jive.

In basic training I ran across a girl named Chaire who informed me it was pronounced "Shire." Sorry, don't think so.
The letter 'a' can be silent, so I think Chaire is fine. We have the word aisle, so wouldn't pronouncing Chaire as "Shire" be the same thing?

Baruch

If I recall correctly, Ch in French is pronounced Sh ... as in Mon cheri.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 14, 2015, 01:13:14 AM
The letter 'a' can be silent, so I think Chaire is fine. We have the word aisle, so wouldn't pronouncing Chaire as "Shire" be the same thing?

In France, yes. But the commonly accepted spelling of "shire" is "shire." If you're going to name your child after Frodo Baggins' stomping grounds, at least spell it in a way that the child isn't going to spend the rest of their life explaining the reason why it's actually shire and not the word we use for a place to set one's bottom. 
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

It is trendy to emulate the French, even these days ;-)

Il est très bon de connaître le français.  Don't be Anglo-phone.  Just say "non" ;-)

Si la Chine maintient ensemble, il pourrait être sage d'apprendre le chinois aussi.  My French is good enough to verify the quality of this ...

å¦,果中国抱成团,这可能是明智çš,,,学习中国人也ã€,But my Chinese is not good enough to verify if this is only Google-ese.  Even after 3 years study ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Two children,brother and sister  on their first day at a new school sat down in class. The teacher told the little girl to stand up and tell everyone her name to which she replied, "Snotnose Smith!" Everyone laughed and the teacher asked again and got the same answer,  "Snotnose Smith!"  The teacher a bit annoyed told her that if she wouldn't say her right name she could just go to the principals office. She got up, walked to the door, turned around to her brother and said,  "C'mon Fartface. She ain't gonna believe you either."
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solomon Zorn

When worrying that a name can hold you back, don't forget about Barack Hussein Obama.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 15, 2015, 03:07:27 PM
When worrying that a name can hold you back, don't forget about Barack Hussein Obama.
To be fair, Obama was named that well before the infamy of Saddam Hussein.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 15, 2015, 03:16:19 PM
To be fair, Obama was named that well before the infamy of Saddam Hussein.
That's true. But when he became president, the name was unpopular in America.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com