News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This Is Not Your Fault

Started by josephpalazzo, September 28, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

QuoteBut then again…it’s not my fault that Christianity isn’t true.  It was created before I was born and I was trapped in it for 28 years.  It happened and it’s terrible.

But…it’s not my fault that it isn’t true.

It’s not my fault that people have been framed for a murder they didn’t commit.

So I work against it, and I try to convince them, but the realization that it’s not my fault keeps me going with some semblance of inner peace.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbreaker/this-is-not-your-fault-the-good-news-of-atheism-for-christians/

Baruch

Interesting POV.  There is a lot of continuity in human culture, and I don't see condemning everyone because of their culture.  What I would question is any failure to question their culture, to not apply constructive criticism to it.  Tradition for the sake of tradition is the stupidity of the ancients and medievals.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2015, 01:10:50 PM
Interesting POV.  There is a lot of continuity in human culture, and I don't see condemning everyone because of their culture.  What I would question is any failure to question their culture, to not apply constructive criticism to it.  Tradition for the sake of tradition is the stupidity of the ancients and medievals.

Well people who are successful, greatly or modestly, often credit their culture as a reason for their success. That's why they see themselves as winners, and those who try to bring on change as losers. The "rebels", so to speak, see the traditionalists/conservatives as people fearing of change, therefore introducing a new vocabulary to label the traditionalist/conservatives in their own version as losers. Who wins or loses between these two antagonists is more a factor of circumstances.

Baruch

Yes, they don't like to credit their success to the advantages their parents gave them, or the cheating they have done themselves ... if community oriented, it has to be the result of the culture, but if individualist, it has to be the result of their own virtues.  There is no honesty in humanity, or humility.  I have taken advantage of all four of those ... and won't apologize for any of it.  Machiavelli is the first modern man.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

I am not the guy in the article. I never felt guilt about anything, and when I discovered the falsehood of Mormonism I dropped it like a hot potato and walked. I made damn sure first, but I walked. Same with Christianity.