NASA To Announce Major Mars Discovery On Monday

Started by stromboli, September 25, 2015, 10:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 28, 2015, 12:03:20 PM

QuoteMy guess: H2O, lots of it.
http://www.thestar.com/life/2015/09/28/mars-mystery-nasa-set-to-reveal-major-science-finding.html

I won.

That's not exactly true. :)

QuoteThe new images don’t actually show flowing water, which doesn’t last long on the Martian surface. It evaporates quickly, and the thin atmosphere wicks it up and away.

But it is nonetheless extremely exciting. :)
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

stromboli

TomFoolery

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

trdsf

Contemporary liquid water was better than I'd expected; I'd thought they were going to confirm the buried frozen ocean hypothesized in the northern hemisphere.

The implications for the existence of Martian life -- past and present -- are profound.  The existence of these flows certainly suggests there's permafrost beneath the surface, and permafrost is a perfectly acceptable habitat.  Probably the most likely, since underground it's protected from UV and cosmic rays and other electromagnetic interlopers and high speed particles.

All the more reason to go and find out.  Just one bacterium that operates on a genetic code that isn't DNA broadens our horizons beyond measure.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Quote from: trdsf on September 28, 2015, 01:25:55 PM
Contemporary liquid water was better than I'd expected; I'd thought they were going to confirm the buried frozen ocean hypothesized in the northern hemisphere.

The implications for the existence of Martian life -- past and present -- are profound.  The existence of these flows certainly suggests there's permafrost beneath the surface, and permafrost is a perfectly acceptable habitat.  Probably the most likely, since underground it's protected from UV and cosmic rays and other electromagnetic interlopers and high speed particles.

All the more reason to go and find out.  Just one bacterium that operates on a genetic code that isn't DNA broadens our horizons beyond measure.

Article I read and was looking for said that the elements of life- water being one- were probably there at some point. The chemical ingredients, an activation source like lightning or vulcanism or whatever. But the estimated window of opportunity was small- on the order of hundreds of thousands of years rather than millions.

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

kilodelta

I heard they we're going to announce that they found God on Mars... actually, it was the God Mars... but, the scientist conspiracy made them change it to water at the last moment before the press release.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Baruch

Also Jerry Lewis in Visit To A Small Planet and Robin Williams as Mork.  You and I can be dated like tree rings ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: stromboli on September 28, 2015, 01:45:07 PM
Article I read and was looking for said that the elements of life- water being one- were probably there at some point. The chemical ingredients, an activation source like lightning or vulcanism or whatever. But the estimated window of opportunity was small- on the order of hundreds of thousands of years rather than millions.
S'what I get for skimming it on my lunch break rather than reading it completely at my leisure; even so, the presence of water means that there has been a continuing opportunity for something to arise in the last few billion years.  The collapse of a warm, wet ecosystem there significantly reduces the chances, of course, but it doesn't obliterate them.

I still think when we get where the water is (the polar caps and/or the northern frozen ocean, if it's actually there), there's a good chance we'll find something eking out a bare living.  Nothing complicated... but it doesn't need to be.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan