Government (N.I.H) ADMITS Marijuana Has Medical Value

Started by stromboli, March 14, 2013, 05:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51148243/ns/b ... UI_ohw0LsP

QuoteIn a recent report, the National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the Federal government's National Institutes of Health (NIH), stated that marijuana "inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines." The same report showed marijuana slows or stops the growth of certain lung cancer cells and suggested that marijuana may provide "risk reduction and treatment of colorectal cancer."
Referring to the NCI report, Patient Rights attorney Matthew Pappas said, "The Federal government's continuing attack on people prescribed medical cannabis by their doctors is hypocritical considering the benefits reported by its own National Cancer Institute." Pappas represents patients in defending their right to reasonably obtain medical marijuana. The patients contend the Federal government and various municipalities are trying to prevent them from obtaining cannabis for medical purposes in direct contravention of state laws. "Cities that ban dispensaries are denying patients the ability to obtain a medicine the Federal government's National Institutes of Health says fights cancer and they're doing it with the Obama Administration's help." Recently, the City of Los Angeles repealed its ban of medical marijuana collectives after Bill Rosendahl, a member of its city council diagnosed with cancer and prescribed medical marijuana said to fellow council members about the ban, "You want to kill me? You want to throw me under the bus?"
The NCI report also examined whether patients who smoke marijuana rather than ingesting it orally are exposed to a higher risk of lung and certain digestive system cancers. According to the government, 19 studies "failed to demonstrate statistically significant associations between marijuana inhalation and lung cancer." The report also identified a separate study of 611 lung cancer patients that showed marijuana was "not associated with an increased risk of lung cancer or other upper aerodigestive tract cancers and found no positive associations with any cancer type." In the area of prostate cancer, the NCI report was inconclusive and suggested further research was necessary. In its report, the National Cancer Institute also identified a "study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma" that showed tumor reduction in the test participants.
Despite the Federal government sanctioned and authorized NCI report, Pappas said Congress and the Obama Administration have continued to thwart marijuana research. In an announced effort to displace state medical marijuana laws, the Office of National Drug Control Policy described "medical" marijuana as a "myth" fueling "troubling misconceptions" in documents found on its website. The Federal government appears to be focused on creating more chemical drugs, many of which are the subject of various attorney television commercials seeking out those adversely impacted by those drugs. Pappas said both the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Office of National Drug Control Policy continue to assert marijuana lacks any medicinal value despite the research showing cannabis reduces certain cancer risks and inhibits the growth of tumor cells. He also commented that the Federal government's anti-marijuana position contributes to and encourages prejudice and public misconception about the legitimate use of medical cannabis as treatment for seriously ill patients.

The level of stupid at the government is beyond measure. Makes you wonder what kind of back door deals go on with big pharma and the fed.

BarkAtTheMoon

On top of all that, it's clearly a moderate pain killer and can help with loss of appetite from chemo treatments. A THC-like medicine is even prescribed to cancer patients, though it was never that effective for my mom. Real marijuana likely would've been better. It's downright criminal and just bad science that marijuana continues to be classified as Schedule I.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Nihil-ist

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"On top of all that, it's clearly a moderate pain killer and can help with loss of appetite from chemo treatments. A THC-like medicine is even prescribed to cancer patients, though it was never that effective for my mom. Real marijuana likely would've been better. It's downright criminal and just bad science that marijuana continues to be classified as Schedule I.

The problem with the pills is it's only THC or used to be only THC.
The other cannabinoids help with things like inflammation and countering the strong effects of THC.
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

AxisMundi

Quote from: "stromboli"The level of stupid at the government is beyond measure. Makes you wonder what kind of back door deals go on with big pharma and the fed.

Until we ween the general public off of the "Reefer Madness" mentality, I'm afraid this will continue.

And I am quite sure Big Pharma is involved. There are plenty of natural substances that do what chemical based medicines do, without side effects, and that can actually treat a disease instead of just the symptoms. Big Pharma opposes all of these natural, and cheap, alternatives.

Big Cop and Big Prison are involved as well, as both stand to loose billions in revenue should pot be decriminalized. Not to mention Big Booze, one of the leading opponents of legalization in Cali.

Not to mention other industries that would be impacted by legalization, which would include industrial hemp as well, such as the forestry and oil industries.