Does Free Speech Offend You?

Started by pr126, September 24, 2015, 03:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

In closing, I just want everyone to know that this experience has forever changed me and from this point forward I have turned my life over to Jesus Christ. I will be publishing an autobiography detailing the abuse I experienced as an Atheist Forum poster, my fall from grace and inspiring, triumphant return, available exclusively through Amazon. I anticipate a major motion picture comprised of the cast of Babylon 5, with my character played by Mira Furlan in drag.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 24, 2015, 05:37:57 PM
I am offended that you would demand an explanation, which is clearly a thinly veiled attempt to take away my free speech because it suggests I can only speak if I clear it through you first. I demand retribution.

I'm offended that you even wrote the words "free speech".

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 24, 2015, 03:43:07 PM
Filthy rebel scum.  Trek > Wars  :P

Just kidding, I'm actually more of a Babylon 5 fan.  There are dozens of us.  Dozens!
Babylon 5 is good, too.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Getting back to pr126 ... the college students have been on remedial baby formula since 1965 ... well before the current Millennial crop.  In Loco Parentis should rule ... now with better technology ... the parents who pay for this, should have a meter on each of their college attending children, and the debit card for paying for college should drop to zero every time a student talks like a whiney teenager ;-)  As a parent, I would hope my college age student would STFU and take notes.

Closing The American Mind ... you have to have mind first ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on September 25, 2015, 07:04:30 AM
Getting back to pr156pr126 ... the college students have been on remedial baby formula since 1965 ... well before the current Millennial crop.  In Loco Parentis should rule ... now with better technology ... the parents who pay for this, should have a meter on each of their college attending children, and the debit card for paying for college should drop to zero every time a student talks like a whiney teenager ;-)  As a parent, I would hope my college age student would STFU and take notes.

Closing The American Mind ... you have to have mind first ;-)

FIFY

Baruch

Behold the power of editing!  I am now a secular god ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

FYI, Greg Lukianoff was on Intelligence Squared arguing the affirmative position the Liberals Are Stifling Intellectual Diversity On Campus. Not that it is really relevant but he identifies as an atheist.

https://youtu.be/nlF2gstvLAY

josephpalazzo

Mike Cl

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 24, 2015, 11:56:27 AM
It comes down to this: I'll support your right to say whatever (form), but I'm not obligated to support you if you say something stupid (content).
When people say that a person has a right to say whatever it was they said, because of freedom of speech, they end it there.  That is the first half of that equation.  The person saying what they say, also means they get to live with the consequences of what they said.  That's the second half.  You are free to say it (if legal), and you are free to reap the results, as well--good or bad.  And I am free to reply to your statement if I want.  Freedom of speech does not mean that the statement is free from relies to it. 

Most of the time with the christian right, they want to say and do as they please, but also want to curtail what you say and do because of their 'morality'.  It is not a two way street for them--it is clearly marked and maintained as a one-way street the entire way.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

In politics, people want to control what other people feel, what they think, that they say or write, and what they do.  It is all evil all the time, no matter what partisan position is taken.  They are uncomfortable around anyone different than themselves, and sometimes not even themselves.  Don't elect maniacs, lock them up in asylums.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

This thread is offending me. Please remove it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2015, 12:54:22 PM
This thread is offending me. Please remove it.
Your being offended offends me. Please stop being offended.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

josephpalazzo

This thread should be retitled: ENDLESS OFFENSE.