Gay Couples Want Kim Davis' Signature of a Approval

Started by SGOS, September 22, 2015, 08:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://news.yahoo.com/4-deputy-clerks-no-eligible-couples-denied-marriage-205827627.html

I know the story is getting old and people are losing interest, but the antics just keep on going.  Now some gay couples and straight couples as well, want marriage licenses with Kim Davis' signature on them.  I know that there have been questions of the validity of the licenses issued in her absence.  I think the questions of validity may have been from both sides of the debate, but for different reasons.  Davis was trying desperately to find a way to prevail, either by outfoxing the courts, or outright disobedience.  So creating a situation where validity could be denied may have been seen as a Win by Davis herself.

Now Gay couples are starting to question the validity also.  Does this case have to go back to the courts to determine validity of the altered licenses?  Doesn't someone already know the answer to this?  I don't know, but it seems like somebody must know.  And really, why would the signature of the County Clerk be so important?  Couldn't the County Commissioners hold a meeting and declare deputies signatures be legally valid?  Is Davis the only one in the whole courthouse qualified to check that the requirements for marriage have been met?  Do you have to get special training to be an authority on marriage requirements?  Come on now, it seems absurd that this gets so much attention.  Is it really an issue?

Is there more to the demand that Davis sign the documents herself?  I suspect there is, but I'm not sure what the demand accomplishes.  It seems like the issue could be remedied more easily without more court rulings.  I guess the immediate answer people need right now is, "Are the licenses valid or not?"  Would someone in the court house just step up the plate and make an announcement or something? :41:

_Xenu_

Surely there's someone who can step in to ensure legal validity. In actual practice, this little stunt will amount to nothing.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

TomFoolery

In the South anyway, very rarely have public officials really faced any penalties for defying court orders. Sure, they've been charged with contempt of court, sometimes paid small fines, etc. Ross Barnett was held in contempt for refusing the desegregation order in Mississippi. He was ordered to pay $10,000 a day and sentenced to jail but nothing ever came from that. Historically, contempt of court charges for public officials amount to a dog's fart.

I feel like if I were getting married in Rowan County, gay or straight, I wouldn't want that cunt's name on my marriage license.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 22, 2015, 08:51:25 AM
I feel like if I were getting married in Rowan County, gay or straight, I wouldn't want that cunt's name on my marriage license.
LOL Me too!  But on the other side of the coin, you would have her signature on your marriage license.  When you get divorced, you could sell the license the way someone would auction off a document signed by Hitler.  It's got to be worth something.  I wish I would have bought several cases of Billy Beer back during the Carter administration, it would probably be stale by now, but I bet it's worth more than the going price back then.

Draconic Aiur

Termin

Actually if I was gay, I would want her signature on my marriage certificate , it would be like batman keeping that coin in his bat cave.

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 22, 2015, 11:25:34 AM
how is she not in jail yet?

I'm guessing that the judge feels the bases are covered with deputies signatures.  However, I have to wonder if her changing the forms may be contempt of court.  This is what seems to me to be an attempt to outfox the courts, and I doubt the court likes this very much, but I only know as much as what the media presents.  She seems to want to leave the issue unsettled, thereby dragging things out legally.  If she doesn't want to sign the documents, I don't have a problem with her authorizing someone else to sign them, but she keeps trying to gain the upper hand and remain in control of other people's marriages.

She is not the best ambassador for Christianity, and I'm sure with at least a few Christians, she's turning people away from the church.  In my wildest dreams, I'd like to think this will become a turning point for the heavy boot of Christian oppression, but that's in my wildest dreams.  In a less extreme line of thinking, I hope that some Christians are taking a closer look at their religion and re-evaluating it.

CrucifyCindy

She doesn't need to be put in jail. What is needed is a court order to force the governor or the state legistlators to remove her from office due to incompetance. It is obvious she is not fit for office because she cannot fulfill her duties.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Munch

I think they just want her signature just to rub it in her face that she signed a gay couples certificate.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Much to my disgrace I no longer care.  I'm going to go get a cup of coffee and when I get back I still won't care.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-clerk-davis-rejects-marriage-licenses-invalid-abc-125551704.html

QuoteIn the wide-ranging interview from Morehead, Kentucky, Davis said she should keep her post, saying: "I'm good at my job."

"My constituents elected me, but the main authority that rules my life is the Lord," Davis told ABC, speaking alongside one of her lawyers.

She defended her actions and rejected criticism that she is a hypocrite and a homophobe for her actions and for citing her religious beliefs to deny marriages even as she has been married four times and had some children out of wedlock.

"I'm forgiven. Washed clean," she said.

Mat Staver, an attorney for Davis, has said she has made a good faith effort to comply with U.S. District Judge David Bunning's order.

Attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky, in a federal court filing on Monday, said Bunning should order the licenses to be issued under the previous format and reissue those given under the altered one.

Despite Davis' comments, their legality of the marriage licenses issued without her consent has not been challenged in court.

It seems to me until the legality of the licenses is challenged, no one will know if she is still in contempt.  If they are legal, I'm thinking the needs of the court are satisfied in spite of any hot air she might be blowing out of her ass.  If they are legal, she becomes just a fart in the wind.  If not, she will be in contempt, and in my mind it could justify an added penalty for her jerking the court around.

Hydra009

QuoteIn the wide-ranging interview from Morehead, Kentucky, Davis said she should keep her post, saying: "I'm good at my job."
I'm pretty sure that if you make national news because of your job and lots of people want you fired, then chances are, you're probably as good at your job as you think.

Draconic Aiur

hrdlr110

I hope the rapture doesn't happen today - that is one snatch I have no interest in seeing. Eewww!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Hakurei Reimu

I thought that's already been settled: the judge said that Davis could be let free on condition that they don't interfere with the deputies' work, effectively giving them the authority to notarize marriages.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu