Three really real miracles on the set of "The Bible"!

Started by Valigarmander, March 14, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

yeah..back "in the ole days" i.e "when people thought the sky was water" ole god could do some pretty amazing miracles....alas.. he is pretty much down to having images appear on toast, cheeseburgers, doors and the smear inside a toilet...mighty powerful god there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

A nearby streetlight turned on right as I had an amazing idea.  Miracle!
I once lost my car keys and eventually found them in my other pair of pants.  Miracle!
I tripped and nearly fell, but steadied myself and didn't fall.  Miracle!

Praise be whatever god I already believe in!!!

NeoLogic26

Roma Downey was one the angels on that sickeningly saccharine "Touched by an Angel" series. Using these stories to boost ratings would not surprise me.

As an aside, has anyone else seen commercials for the American Bible Challenge gameshow?  Apparently it's in its second season so I guess there are people out there willing to watch and be on a show where the winnings probably go to charity.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

jonnytexas

I guess god was too busy making a breeze to stop pedophiles or the spread of aids from papal decrees.  Oh yeah, I forgot, "he works in mysterious ways..."
You mean all I have to do is say "sorry God" and all is forgiven?....I\'m gonna have some fun then

Brian37

I fucking hate the word "miracle". I was just discussing this with my older sister who still believes. And she used the same standard "personal experience" and news stories of "impossible survivals" and she said "but the doctors said it was a "miracle".

First off being smart and being right about some things does not make you right about all things. Secondly there are doctors of all faiths with all sorts of medical degrees all over the world, which would still stick believers with the problem of "which one".

If everything a person utters is true by default then Newton's Alchemy should still exist just because he was smart. He got physics right but Alchemy was junk and he eventually discarded it.

So what is really going on is the person using the word "miracle" does not realize mentally they are in "awe" of something  defying the odds.

The other example I use is this.

You have two plane crashes with 300 people on each flight. The first flight only one person dies and the believer calls it a miracle. But on the other fight 299 people die and only one survives, and still they call that a miracle. When does it cease to be a miracle? When half die and the other half dont?

The truth would be even if the black boxes were destroyed the explanation would still be weather, mechanics, pilot error, speed and angle of impact, or a combo of those.

Now my sister brought up a kid who had been shot in the head and the doctors said he shouldn't have survived. Ok, but the fact is he did so all that means is he defied the odds and conditions were just in the right timing to produce that outcome.

This also brings up the issue of selection bias and sample rate error. She doesn't take into account all the people who don't survive because she merely sees what she wants to see because she is does not have a big enough sample rate. What atheist see because we do see everything, is that life is ultimately a crap shoot and sometimes you get lucky, but no matter what everyone's luck runs out no matter what.

But there was absolutely no sky daddy or magic involved.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Seabear

Quote from: "pato15"So wait, doesn't #2 mean God was trying to kill them?

My thoughts exactly. How does the presence of dozens of snakes equate to a miracle from God? Just the opposite, I would think... maybe Satan was trying to stop them from spreading the good word!
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

widdershins

Quote from: "Seabear"
Quote from: "pato15"So wait, doesn't #2 mean God was trying to kill them?

My thoughts exactly. How does the presence of dozens of snakes equate to a miracle from God? Just the opposite, I would think... maybe Satan was trying to stop them from spreading the good word!
You don't even see your misstep.  The snakes were helpful to the movie, meaning Satan WANTED them to make it because it's full of lies to lead people away from the one true path!  Now I want a garden.  In that garden I want a cobblestone path with a sign that reads "One True Path".  Shortly after starting I want that path to split, turn, cross itself and lead back to the beginning.  I think I have problems focusing sometimes.
This sentence is a lie...