Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

I'm pretty sure this kid is either special needs or at least not that smart.  He's certainly not the young genius the media is making him out to be.  I saw an interview with him where he was showing off a circuit board he took out of something and said of this piece he removed from something else, "This isn't my first invention and it won't be my last."  The kid didn't actually "make" anything.  He just took apart a clock and put the pieces in a metal case, which he then took to school which, let's be honest, since Columbine and all the horrors to follow, is also not the smartest thing any student has ever done.

On the subject of Islamophobia, no, it is not a real thing.  It is a made-up word to shame anyone who speaks out against Islam which, let's face it, is a horrible religion, certainly at least as much as Christianity is.  Are we all Christiophobes?  Never heard that word?  That's because I just made it up.  We have all been speaking out against Christianity for some time, but nobody has made up a word other than "atheist" to describe us.  The word "Islamophobia" is a blatant "special pleading" fallacy used to redefine and redirect an argument in much the same way "Support our troops!" actually meant, "If you say anything against America's many pointless wars you are un-American!"

Yes, there are people who are bigoted against Islam and even all Muslims.  But that doesn't make Islam in any way special because it's not in any way unique to Islam. The last time I checked there were 7 countries, all of them Muslim, where, by law, being an atheist could carry the death penalty and many more where, while not technically on the books, you wouldn't exactly expect jail time for killing an atheist.  There are zero countries where being Muslim, or Christian, or Hindu, or Buddhist, or anything else carries the death penalty actually in the laws of the land, at least that I know of.  And it is far easier for an openly Muslim person to be elected to office in America than for an openly atheist person.  But there's no such word as "atheophobia" either.  That makes "Islamophobia" a blatant "special pleading" fallacy, as far as I can see.  I'm not saying Islamophobia is not a real thing, a real issue or a real problem, but I am saying it is no more so than for any other religious view and much less so than for atheism, specifically, assuming you take the world as a whole instead of cherry-picking particular areas where the problem you champion as being "the problem" is disproportionately worse.  It is not deserving of having a word made up to describe it when no such word exists to pander to other religious views, some of which have it much worse than Islam in the world as a whole.
This sentence is a lie...

CloneKai

i just wish they just use the word anti-Semitism. you know add muslim in with jews.
you hate jews, you are anti-Semitism, you hate muslims, you are also anti-Semitism.

makes everything simpler.

widdershins

Quote from: CloneKai on December 04, 2015, 02:54:05 PM
i just wish they just use the word anti-Semitism. you know add muslim in with jews.
you hate jews, you are anti-Semitism, you hate muslims, you are also anti-Semitism.

Actually, antisemitism is nothing like Islamophobia in that an anti-Semite hates Jews, the race, not Jews, the religious group.  The two have nothing in common.

CloneKai

Jew race  :eek:

I am guessing Islamophobia is being scared of muslims or discriminating against them. that is why I said anti-Semitism could be used instead.

i mean there no need for the word anti-Semitism either. a number of words could be used instead, but it exist. might as well make it useful for now.

widdershins

Quote from: CloneKai on December 04, 2015, 03:24:35 PM
Jew race  :eek:

I am guessing Islamophobia is being scared of muslims or discriminating against them. that is why I said anti-Semitism could be used instead.

i mean there no need for the word anti-Semitism either. a number of words could be used instead, but it exist. might as well make it useful for now.
I'm not sure what that first line is about, but I'm assuming you are aware of the difference between "ethnic Jews", "racial Jews" and "religious Jews".  There are two different meaning for the word "Jew", one referring to religious views, the other referring to ethnicity.  A person can be both "Jewish" and "Christian" or "atheist" at the same time with no conflict if the "Jewish" in the descriptor refers to ethnicity.

While anti-Semitism may refer to any of the three, it is specific to "Jew" (thus cannot encompass Islam) and, so far as I know, is generally against the Jewish race or ethnicity, not religion, which again means that it cannot encompass Islam, which is strictly a religion alone.  Check out the first sentence in the Wikipedia page here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Now the Jews, of course, have suffered very real persecution, necessitating the actual and substantial need for a word to describe this prejudice or hatred, which resulted in real harm to those associated as "Jews".  One would be hard pressed to argue that Islam suffers anywhere near the same level of injustice, necessitating the need for such a word.

No, "Islamophobe" is just the politically correct way of shaming people who speak out against Islam much the same way as you see on "Real Time" all the time where Bill Maher will say, "Islam is a bad religion" and someone on the panel will argue against him as if he had said, "All Muslims are evil".  It's a way of twisting the argument and controlling what someone who disagrees with you seems to have said to stack the argument in your favor, a tool most used by those with no real argument to begin with.  The word "Islamophobe" is a tool of the weak and weak minded PC police used to chastise and threaten any who may disagree before the conversation even begins.  It is thrown at anyone who dares say anything disparaging about Islam in general or any particular Muslim.  If you say, "That Muslim is bad" they argue as if you had you said, "All Muslims are bad and should be killed".  It is because of nonsensical made-up words like this that it is becoming increasingly difficult to call Republicans out on their nonsense.  They simply say, "They're just throwing this word at me to make me look bad", the general public see that this actually does happen and, being the uneducated buffoons many of them are, say, "Yep, they did it there, so it must be true here!".

ANY AND ALL dishonest arguments weaken all honest arguments, unfortunately.

CloneKai

Quote from: widdershins on December 04, 2015, 03:58:03 PM
I'm not sure what that first line is about, but I'm assuming you are aware of the difference between "ethnic Jews", "racial Jews" and "religious Jews".  There are two different meaning for the word "Jew", one referring to religious views, the other referring to ethnicity.  A person can be both "Jewish" and "Christian" or "atheist" at the same time with no conflict if the "Jewish" in the descriptor refers to ethnicity.

While anti-Semitism may refer to any of the three, it is specific to "Jew" (thus cannot encompass Islam) and, so far as I know, is generally against the Jewish race or ethnicity, not religion, which again means that it cannot encompass Islam, which is strictly a religion alone.  Check out the first sentence in the Wikipedia page here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Now the Jews, of course, have suffered very real persecution, necessitating the actual and substantial need for a word to describe this prejudice or hatred, which resulted in real harm to those associated as "Jews".  One would be hard pressed to argue that Islam suffers anywhere near the same level of injustice, necessitating the need for such a word.

No, "Islamophobe" is just the politically correct way of shaming people who speak out against Islam much the same way as you see on "Real Time" all the time where Bill Maher will say, "Islam is a bad religion" and someone on the panel will argue against him as if he had said, "All Muslims are evil".  It's a way of twisting the argument and controlling what someone who disagrees with you seems to have said to stack the argument in your favor, a tool most used by those with no real argument to begin with.  The word "Islamophobe" is a tool of the weak and weak minded PC police used to chastise and threaten any who may disagree before the conversation even begins.  It is thrown at anyone who dares say anything disparaging about Islam in general or any particular Muslim.  If you say, "That Muslim is bad" they argue as if you had you said, "All Muslims are bad and should be killed".  It is because of nonsensical made-up words like this that it is becoming increasingly difficult to call Republicans out on their nonsense.  They simply say, "They're just throwing this word at me to make me look bad", the general public see that this actually does happen and, being the uneducated buffoons many of them are, say, "Yep, they did it there, so it must be true here!".

ANY AND ALL dishonest arguments weaken all honest arguments, unfortunately.
ethnic Jews", "racial Jews" and "religious Jews"
no, i really don't know the difference. i come from wrong part of the world. we only have one type of jews.

The race thing i don't really believe in. i believe some old studies divided human into three race Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid. i am not even sure how accepted this idea is.
Jews like most minorities in the world have suffered very real persecution. they are not special, like the west try to make people believe.
Anti-Semitism, i believe comes from the term Semitic, which includes Arab people. but for some reason its only used for jews. i am sure there won't be problem to add arabs in the definition for Anti-Semitism.
I don't know how much problem the term "Islamophobe", is creating, but Muslims are a minority in USA (I believe around 3%) and USA has been at war with islamic people for nearly 15 years and arabs has never been shown in good light in media either. so being slightly careful is ok, in my opinion. some idiot came up with islamophobe, muslimophobe would have been little better. or better yet, use bigot or racist. but unfortunately, anti-semitism set a precedent, if you have one for Jews, a group defined by their religious or their religious myth, you will require one for muslims.
Bill Maher is kind of a muslim hater, he almost always tries to the blame muslims so i understand some people might have some problem with that.
I also see the term Anti-Semitism used to defend Israel government policies too. people throwing words around like this is unfortunately common.

Baruch

Quote from: CloneKai on December 04, 2015, 02:54:05 PM

Needed clarification ... there is xenophobia ... it is universal in human beings.  What varies is what you unconsciously object to.  Another problem ... given that the majority of Muslims are not Arabs ... being anti-Semitic against them is impossible, since they are not Semites.  Hence "Islamophobia".  But if we want ... we can say "xenophobic against X specific group".  It also depends on where you live.  In the US, the majority of Muslims are African-Americans who were formerly part of the Nation of Islam cult.  So in America, anti-Muslim/anti-Black play in the same sand box.  In Germany, the majority of Muslims are Turkish ... so there anti-Turk would be most appropriate (unless the number of Syrian refugees gets too high, but then we can consider opposition to that as anti-refugee).  Yes, how you name it is political.  So?  Everything is politics these days.

Another historical clarification ... anti-Semitism was a racial statement, and was invented around 1750 by the Frenchman, Voltaire.  All anti-Jewish feeling before that, even with Muhammad, was anti-Judaism the religion, not anti-Jewish the race.  And for some time afterward from 1750 - 1950 there was a gradual transition from anti-Judaism to anti-Semite.  So it also depends on which time period we are talking about, not just the geography.

Anti-Semitism in Israel is the worst mess.  Most of the Israeli Jews are racially hardly Jewish at all, hardly ethnic Jewish at all, hardly religiously Jewish at all.  They are technically Jewish under Israeli law.  They are European invaders ... from W and E Europe ... mixed race, mixed European ethnicity, non-religious.  Actual racial Jews, of Jewish ethnicity, who are religious ... actually support Hamas.  So in Israel, we have anti-Semitic (anti-Arab Palestinian) non-Semites oppressing the Palestinians, while defending themselves against criticism, by claiming the criticism is anti-Semite.  Ridiculous.  I know a Jewish person at work, who is more racially and ethnically Jewish than I am, but who is an atheist.  Nothing wrong with that, but since I am Jewishly religious, I am in that respect more Jewish than he is.  When modern Israeli was founded, one orthodox rabbi was heard to say ... "The only thing worse than Goyim are Jewish Goyim".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

CloneKai

just confusing terminologies which are misused.
Anti-Jew would have been better but we got Anti-Semite instead, kind like calling anti-turk, anti-european instead without including the rest of europeans.

To me anti-semite holds much more weight then Islamophobe, but the funny part would be
that huge amount of people who hate muslims are die hard supporters of Israel, so anti-semite being used there would be so much interesting to watch. that why i said maybe something like that would be better than the word islamaphobe, a word which is kinda misleading.

Baruch

Quote from: CloneKai on December 05, 2015, 06:17:58 AM
just confusing terminologies which are misused.
Anti-Jew would have been better but we got Anti-Semite instead, kind like calling anti-turk, anti-european instead without including the rest of europeans.

To me anti-semite holds much more weight then Islamophobe, but the funny part would be
that huge amount of people who hate muslims are die hard supporters of Israel, so anti-semite being used there would be so much interesting to watch. that why i said maybe something like that would be better than the word islamaphobe, a word which is kinda misleading.

All words are misleading ... to the speaker and the hearer ... Zen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.