Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Trying to picture how this situation evolved:

Science teacher: OK, class. I'm assigning you guys a science project. Have it ready by the end of the month.
Time passes.
Science teacher: All right, please share with the class what you did for your science project.
Lily White: Here's mine. It's an erupting volcano. See how it shoots out hot lava?
Science teacher: Very nice, Lily. Who's up next? How about you, Osama... I mean Ahmed? What have you got for us?
Ahmed Mohammed: It's a clock I built. Pretty cool, huh?
Science teacher: Eek, it's a bomb! I knew it! You Mooslims are all terrorists. Help, police!!!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2015, 01:41:21 AM
This. My first thought was that it was a very rudimentary homemade radio.
Yep.

Exposed wiring = homemade electronic device
Exposed wiring + explosive = homemade bomb

Hydra009

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 17, 2015, 11:43:08 PMP.S. Not that I know anything about making any sort of bomb ( just in case the NSA is watching). You go NSA! Keep us safe!
Anarchist cookbook.  All its recipes were garbage.  I almost burned down the kitchen and nothing tasted good.

Poison Tree

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 17, 2015, 07:51:16 PM
but there is fear of things which look like bombs
Everything looks like bombs.
Kid leaves his backpack unattended; must be a bomb. Now we need those unattended baggage messages in schools and airports.
Kid brings a paper Papier-mâché volcano to school; how do we know he didn't Papier-mâché a bomb inside?
Kid wearing a large vest; must have a suicide bomber vest on.
Potatoes with some wires and a digital display; must be a potato-bomb, who's ever heard of a potato-clock anyway. 
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Atheon

Quote from: Poison Tree on September 18, 2015, 03:01:03 AMKid leaves his backpack unattended; must be a bomb. Now we need those unattended baggage messages in schools and airports.
For schools this would be a new and disturbing practice. For airports, however... this has been the case for as long as I can remember.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

The clock reminded me those ancient cube cd players with deck on top and speakers built in sides. They came in metalic dark blue and grey.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: Atheon on September 18, 2015, 02:13:57 AM
Trying to picture how this situation evolved:

Science teacher: OK, class. I'm assigning you guys a science project. Have it ready by the end of the month.
Time passes.
Science teacher: All right, please share with the class what you did for your science project.
Lily White: Here's mine. It's an erupting volcano. See how it shoots out hot lava?
Science teacher: Very nice, Lily. Who's up next? How about you, Osama... I mean Ahmed? What have you got for us?
Ahmed Mohammed: It's a clock I built. Pretty cool, huh?
Science teacher: Eek, it's a bomb! I knew it! You Mooslims are all terrorists. Help, police!!!

I read a different article that had a different teacher making the call, not the science teacher.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Hindsight is always easier when there is a false alarm eh? or if it had been a...you know....device.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Poison Tree on September 18, 2015, 03:01:03 AM
Everything looks like bombs.
Kid leaves his backpack unattended; must be a bomb. Now we need those unattended baggage messages in schools and airports.
Kid brings a paper Papier-mâché volcano to school; how do we know he didn't Papier-mâché a bomb inside?
Kid wearing a large vest; must have a suicide bomber vest on.
Potatoes with some wires and a digital display; must be a potato-bomb, who's ever heard of a potato-clock anyway.
There's nothing the least bit rational about our ancient survival instincts, no news there. I'm just saying that it's natural to have "bomb" on your mind when you see factors which are known to amount to a bomb, but it takes a serious jerk and an incredibly incompetent excuse for an "engineering" teacher not to further evaluate what is presented by the most unlikely person in the US (where there have never actually been any suicide vests, much less child-bombers) before he does something which could ruin the poor kid's life.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

aitm

i don't know. looks the kids life is looking pretty damn good now. The kid should thank the teacher that made the call.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2015, 10:39:43 PM
Quit yer whining. Maybe you won't be such an easy target to be teased if you weren't so.... reactive.
It takes a serious asshole for a mod to discourage people from speaking their minds, and you have stunk like that before.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: aitm on September 18, 2015, 09:19:01 AM
i don't know. looks the kids life is looking pretty damn good now. The kid should thank the teacher that made the call.
You understand that kid is lucky, right? That he could have ended up in a different position, especially if this happened a few years earlier?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on September 18, 2015, 09:19:01 AM

Chuckled to this. I think he should kiss his luck that the president in the office is not a republican, but a communist/satanist/muslim...I forgot the rest....anyway, may be he can make something out of it.