Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 17, 2015, 04:54:58 PM
But he isn't black...

my mistake, I glanced at the photo with blurry eyes. But to be frank, in both regards, black or muslim, it be the same thing in Texas. Is your not white, christian republican, your either a criminal, or need to be controlled by the state.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 17, 2015, 07:51:16 PM
No, in fact there is no such thing as Islamophobia, but there is fear of things which look like bombs, and there is fear of people who resemble those who make bombs or deliver them to likely targets. I don't suppose it's occurred to others here that some Muslims don't have swarthy skin and dark hair, and that they don't have to have Arabic, Persian, or Turkish - sounding names either? Now I'm not saying that it's at all ok to treat anybody who fits the the general appearance of an ignorant and violent fanatic such as Bin Laden with suspicion, but that when they do it isn't about what ideas they believe, it's who they appear to be. Being afraid of those who resemble those who have harmed you has unfortunately unjust consequences, but it is a natural defense mechanism in people, and the US is hardly any worse than other countries regarding this.

Having observed the above, I think it takes a truly half-assed engineering teacher to promote a simple clock to a bomb, especially when it carries nothing which even resembles an explosive load.

Senator Graham is this you?
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 17, 2015, 06:32:06 PM
Right, not an American thing; thats why Muslims get the shit beat out of them in the subways of New York City, the capital of Texas. And the Mosque vandalizations in San Diego and Santa Cruz, the shooting at Muslims in Coachella, the vandalization of Muslim graves in Washington state all were by Texans.

Note; those are all "liberal bastion" states, and NYC is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world. Hate crimes against Muslims (100-150 confirmed cases a year on average) is an American thing, not a Texan or even Southern thing.

Hate crimes are a world wide thing. but you can look on a census map to get an idea of just how much more racism is in some parts of america then the rest.

The more southern parts of america do have a higher influx of hate groups then the northern regions
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

GENERAL HATE?? wtf is that? Hell about half of us could fit into a "general hate" club….I hate okra!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2015, 08:06:46 PM
Hate crimes are a world wide thing. but you can look on a census map to get an idea of just how much more racism is in some parts of america then the rest.

The more southern parts of america do have a higher influx of hate groups then the northern regions

They seem to be more clustered up there in the northeast if you look at that map
 William S. Burroughs

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2015, 08:06:46 PM

3 of the 4 most hate-group states are also "liberal stronghold" states, with California being the darkest... and over half the states are in the North East (or California).

That map doesn't even remotely show you where is more racist or isn't... if anything, all it shows you is which parts of the United State has a decent population vs. which doesn't...

An interesting map to go with that one...

The states with more people have more organizations... that is a shocker.

I will say this though; I am quite shocked that Louisiana doesn't have more recognized hate groups.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 17, 2015, 07:58:14 PM
Senator Graham is this you?
Cindy's asshole is trolling again...**sigh**
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 17, 2015, 08:44:52 PM
Cindy's asshole is trolling again...**sigh**
Quit yer whining. Maybe you won't be such an easy target to be teased if you weren't so.... reactive.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM
Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

A ninth grader from Texas makes a clock and brings to school to impress his engineering teacher. But unfortunately he is a muslim with a name of Ahmed Mohamed, so he was arrested because that might be a bomb!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34272642

Below is the entire news feed from BBC.

What? islamophobia? It is not real! 

Police says that the kid couldn't make any explanation for making a clock and bringing it to school to his teacher and that's why he was arrested. Apparently, there should be a 'broader explanation' for making a clock to impress your engineering teacher.

Later, Obama invited the kid to white house...etc. PR.

The suspicious clock:

I'm not the only person here that thinks this looks like a bomb, right?
It kind of looks like its right out of Rush Hour 2 or something.

If I saw that laying around, I'd be suspicious even if I don't know who made it. It sucks that the kid got arrested and is possibly scarred for life, but if I saw that... I'd worry a bit about it being a bomb.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2015, 10:52:10 PM
I'm not the only person here that thinks this looks like a bomb, right?

If I saw that laying around, I'd be suspicious even if I don't know who made it. It sucks that the kid got arrested and is possibly scarred for life, but if I saw that... I'd worry a bit about it being a bomb.

Except there is no explosive or chemical compounds attach to it. Beleive or not...not many bombs have clocks attach to them except in the movies. If it was a cell phone attached to some electronics and anything that looked like a chemical compound then I would be worried.

P.S. Not that I know anything about making any sort of bomb ( just in case the NSA is watching). You go NSA! Keep us safe!
 William S. Burroughs

PickelledEggs

That may be true, but for someone that is not an expert in bombs, like me, a few other people on this forum, and probably most people in western civilization... Something like that brings up the the thought "bomb!?", because the only bombs we've seen are small, consumer-grade firecrackers and  bombs on TV and movies.

Like I said, it sucks that that kid got arrested, but I can't blame someone for being cautious. I would probably be afraid of that if anyone brought that near me without knowing ahead of time what it is. No matter what age or skin color.
Hopefully the president can inspire him to continue his pursuit of learning technology and this can be an example of why we need 1. better science education and 2. we need to lighten up on the racism because someone's skin isn't the color of my toilet bowl (aka white)

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2015, 10:52:10 PMI'm not the only person here that thinks this looks like a bomb, right?

It doesn't look like a bomb to me, personally.  I might do a double-take and ask couple friendly questions, but no, I wouldn't call the cops over that.  It actually reminds me of this:

^ Yes, that is a computer, not a bomb.

For comparison, actual bombs:

CrucifyCindy

William S. Burroughs

CrucifyCindy

Please understand we once had a 14 year white kid build a nuclear reator in his garage and he wasn't arrested or suspected of being a terrorist. If we are going to be doing some profiling when it comes to white kids building bombs...well you know the rest.
 William S. Burroughs

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 18, 2015, 01:04:47 AM
It doesn't look like a bomb to me, personally.  I might do a double-take and ask couple friendly questions, but no, I wouldn't call the cops over that.  It actually reminds me of this:

^ Yes, that is a computer, not a bomb.

For comparison, actual bombs:

This. My first thought was that it was a very rudimentary homemade radio.

If this kid was named John Jacob Shoemaker, from a Middle Class, White Protestant household  there would not have been any fuss over him bringing this to school. But combine that skin colour with that name and suddenly every thing he does is going to be looked through the filtered glasses of bigotry because, "...he is more likely to be a terrorist!"... even though almost all American bombers have been white.

You scared of bombs at school? Start racially profiling white males, they are the one's most likely to blow you up, shoot you, stab you or mortally wound you in one way or another or commit acts of terror. That's why the stupidly overwhelming majority of terrorist acts and mass shootings in the United States aren't committed by Abdullahs and Afifys but McFeys, Harris-es and idiots who think they are the Joker.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur