Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

A ninth grader from Texas makes a clock and brings to school to impress his engineering teacher. But unfortunately he is a muslim with a name of Ahmed Mohamed, so he was arrested because that might be a bomb!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34272642

Below is the entire news feed from BBC.

QuoteA 14-year-old boy has been arrested in Texas after a homemade clock he wanted to show his school teachers was mistaken for a bomb.
Ahmed Mohamed brought it into MacArthur High School in Irving to show his engineering teacher.

Another teacher saw it and, concerned it looked like a bomb, alerted school authorities who called the police.

What? islamophobia? It is not real! 

Police says that the kid couldn't make any explanation for making a clock and bringing it to school to his teacher and that's why he was arrested. Apparently, there should be a 'broader explanation' for making a clock to impress your engineering teacher.

Later, Obama invited the kid to white house...etc. PR.

The suspicious clock:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

drunkenshoe

Not unique to your nation, Mermaid.

Oddly, I was more pissed off that they handcuffed him. They handcuffed a 14 years old, probably in front of his friends for obvious bullshit. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

CrucifyCindy

“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 17, 2015, 08:20:21 AM
We are a nation of xenophobic morons.

Well, Texas wants to be its own nation, so I say move out all the smarter people, leave the rest, and launch it into the middle of the Atlantic. Then you can turn the space into a reservoir, solving the drought some states are facing.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2015, 01:16:25 PM
Well, Texas wants to be its own nation, so I say move out all the smarter people, leave the rest, and launch it into the middle of the Atlantic. Then you can turn the space into a reservoir, solving the drought some states are facing.

They have a bullshit reservoir down there somewhere. It is called Ted Nugent.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 17, 2015, 01:22:26 PM

Texas is a strange place.

He's a black kid in texas that isn't either controlled by the state (like the cop) or in prison yet, so he's guilty of anything said against him.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Yeah because being black is the problem here, but not a muslim. Pfffft.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2015, 04:00:55 PM
Yeah because being black is the problem here, but not a muslim. Pfffft.
Implying that one would be worse than the other.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2015, 01:42:30 PM
He's a black kid in texas that isn't either controlled by the state (like the cop) or in prison yet, so he's guilty of anything said against him.

But he isn't black...
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2015, 01:16:25 PM

Right, not an American thing; thats why Muslims get the shit beat out of them in the subways of New York City, the capital of Texas. And the Mosque vandalizations in San Diego and Santa Cruz, the shooting at Muslims in Coachella, the vandalization of Muslim graves in Washington state all were by Texans.

Note; those are all "liberal bastion" states, and NYC is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world. Hate crimes against Muslims (100-150 confirmed cases a year on average) is an American thing, not a Texan or even Southern thing.

QuoteImplying that one would be worse than the other.

Uh... yes, implying such a thing because in the mind of the person committing the crime or society that encourages it... one WOULD be worse than the other.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

dtq123

The photo actually looks like a bomb for a moment. Better arrested and make sure it's safe. I don't even see how this is even news worthy other than the face that OMG he's Muslim.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

hmmm, yeah, I think I would be a mite worried as well, after all, there was a time when a simple pressure cooker wouldn't raise alarms either eh?

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

peacewithoutgod

No, in fact there is no such thing as Islamophobia, but there is fear of things which look like bombs, and there is fear of people who resemble those who make bombs or deliver them to likely targets. I don't suppose it's occurred to others here that some Muslims don't have swarthy skin and dark hair, and that they don't have to have Arabic, Persian, or Turkish - sounding names either? Now I'm not saying that it's at all ok to treat anybody who fits the the general appearance of an ignorant and violent fanatic such as Bin Laden with suspicion, but that when they do it isn't about what ideas they believe, it's who they appear to be. Being afraid of those who resemble those who have harmed you has unfortunately unjust consequences, but it is a natural defense mechanism in people, and the US is hardly any worse than other countries regarding this.

Having observed the above, I think it takes a truly half-assed engineering teacher to promote a simple clock to a bomb, especially when it carries nothing which even resembles an explosive load.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.