How does an expanding space time explain this?

Started by Solitary, September 16, 2015, 04:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 11:15:23 AM
The irony about Einstein is that I think he never really understood QM, though he contributed immensely, and his misunderstanding is not out of the ordinary as most QM pioneers didn't understand it either (it took a good understanding of QFT to see where QM fits in the grander scheme of things, circa 1970's). Nevertheless, Einstein's misunderstanding spurred on a whole cottage industry (EPR, Bell's theorem, and the never ending hopeless search for nonlocality).

BTW, my PhD thesis was based on Bethe's groundbreaking paper on the reference spectum for nuclear matter.

OK ... give us a five sentence summary of your PhD thesis ;-)  Someone said, if you can't explain something to an ordinary person in one minute ... then you don't really understand it yourself!

Yes, they were all classical physicists groping about in a new world.  It seems only Dirac understood, but nobody could understand Dirac ;-)  See the anecdote in this lecture, where Dirac meets Feynman as a grad student.  Not that I don't admire Feynman in his own way ... but there is a difference between an arithmetical savant and a number theorist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 11:24:48 AM
OK ... give us a five sentence summary of your PhD thesis ;-)  Someone said, if you can't explain something to an ordinary person in one minute ... then you don't really understand it yourself!

I'll just give you the title: PERTURBATION THEORY WITH NON-LOCAL POTENTIALS IN NUCLEAR MATTER.

Bethe's paper is listed 9 in my bibliography.

H.A. Bethe, B.H. Brandow, and A.G. Petschek, Phys. Rev. 129,293 (1964)

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 11:46:44 AM
I'll just give you the title: PERTURBATION THEORY WITH NON-LOCAL POTENTIALS IN NUCLEAR MATTER.

Bethe's paper is listed 9 in my bibliography.

H.A. Bethe, B.H. Brandow, and A.G. Petschek, Phys. Rev. 129,293 (1964)

But you poo-poo non-locality now?  Or do you simply mean "non-central forces" which would be easy to imagine but hard to calculate.  Non-locality on a fundamental view of course is different than just something complicated that jumps out of a Lagrangian and bites one ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 12:13:52 PM
But you poo-poo non-locality now?  Or do you simply mean "non-central forces" which would be easy to imagine but hard to calculate.  Non-locality on a fundamental view of course is different than just something complicated that jumps out of a Lagrangian and bites one ;-)

Yep, non-local potentials in my thesis are in fact velocity dependent, like the magnetic field. It's not in the sense of nonlocality in QM, where the interaction between two particles would depend on the rest of the cosmos with a mysterious spooky action at a distance.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 12:20:23 PM
Yep, non-local potentials in my thesis are in fact velocity dependent, like the magnetic field. It's not in the sense of nonlocality in QM, where the interaction between two particles would depend on the rest of the cosmos with a mysterious spooky action at a distance.

See ... I do understand a little ... I was just skimming in my "Classical Mechanics" 2nd Ed by Corben ... but then that would be telling ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 12:35:32 PM
See ... I do understand a little ... I was just skimming in my "Classical Mechanics" 2nd Ed by Corben ... but then that would be telling ;-)

Be careful, a little knowledge can be dangerous... old proverb.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 12:53:39 PM
Be careful, a little knowledge can be dangerous... old proverb.

I like being dangerous ;-)  And all of us, only have a little knowledge, even professors ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 01:01:17 PM
... And all of us, only have a little knowledge, even professors ;-)

You fit well within the American anti-intellectual culture and the dumbing down of America. You must have been cheering when George W was elected.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 01:19:29 PM
You fit well within the American anti-intellectual culture and the dumbing down of America. You must have been cheering when George W was elected.

HAhahah ... such good trolling ... bravo.  No that isn't what happened, thanks to difficulties of life, I grew up and got over my own intellect.  My heart is much more important now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 03:44:26 PM
HAhahah ... such good trolling ... bravo.  No that isn't what happened, thanks to difficulties of life, I grew up and got over my own intellect.  My heart is much more important now.

Your answer is typical of a theist: in you heart of heart, you know it's true... That's the very reason why the world is such a fucking mess. You must feel good to be on the same side of the Christian Right and their righteous arrogant posturing.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 25, 2015, 03:54:23 PM
Your answer is typical of a theist: in you heart of heart, you know it's true... That's the very reason why the world is such a fucking mess. You must feel good to be on the same side of the Christian Right and their righteous arrogant posturing.

High IQ & low EQ or ... I don't claim to have both, but I know which one is better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

facebook164

Quote from: Baruch
Someone said, if you can't explain something to an ordinary person in one minute ... then you don't really understand it yourself!
Bah. That phrase is a good advice to try to always have a high level understanding of what you do.
To actually believe it is practically feasible is to severily understimate the problem of communication, pedagogy and the complexy of the matter.

Baruch

Pr126 ... this particular documentary was the original post, but was lost in a Youtube censorship.  Thanks for reposting it ... it contrasts well with the other recent similar documentaries.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2015, 06:07:11 PM
High IQ & low EQ or ... I don't claim to have both, but I know which one is better.

You've just confirmed my post:  in you heart of heart, you know it's true. You're no different than those guys who flew planes into buildings.