News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Do you hope you're wrong?

Started by TomFoolery, September 12, 2015, 09:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 15, 2015, 05:06:39 PM
Do I hope I'm wrong about God's non-existence? No! No! A thousand times, no!

Given the totally horrific nature of the biblical God, I could never hope that such a monster as that could exist.
Karen Armstrong

To be fair, many of the verses on that list are taken too literally and out of context, and it mistakes the perspective of speakers (such as Cain) for Biblical doctrine.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 16, 2015, 11:29:41 PM
To be fair, many of the verses on that list are taken too literally and out of context, and it mistakes the perspective of speakers (such as Cain) for Biblical doctrine.
You are probably correct.  But on the other hand, it does not keep those who are fundamental in their religion from doing the same thing--called cherry picking.  They do it all the time.  I would venture to say that 100% of all Christians do not consider all verses in the bible in their faith.  They make excuses for those verses they don't like.  For example, most simply ignore the rich man's chance of getting into heaven is the same chances a camel would go through a needle's eye.  Almost every powerful christian leader seems to not be able to see that verse.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 16, 2015, 11:39:51 PM
You are probably correct.  But on the other hand, it does not keep those who are fundamental in their religion from doing the same thing--called cherry picking.  They do it all the time.  I would venture to say that 100% of all Christians do not consider all verses in the bible in their faith.  They make excuses for those verses they don't like.  For example, most simply ignore the rich man's chance of getting into heaven is the same chances a camel would go through a needle's eye.  Almost every powerful christian leader seems to not be able to see that verse.
Every powerful Christian leader these days sees it not, but it's funny how every country Podunk preacher I remember would repeat that verse every other Sunday. I'm also fairly certain the televangelists of yore would feign poverty with that verse in order to milk their audiences for their cash.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 15, 2015, 07:23:42 PM
Maybe the finite speed of light actually causes the universe to be closed on itself?
Given the accelerating expansion of the universe, I think it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the universe is closed, although that doesn't preclude an end -- generally referred to as the Big Rip.  The finite speed of light doesn't appear to limit the rate of expansion of the universe as space is not a particle, massive or massless.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan