News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fear the Walking Dead

Started by Hydra009, August 25, 2015, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on September 15, 2015, 05:39:17 PM
I personally was zombie'd out about 1965. The whole concept keeps meeting my logical mind and the silliness of it and ends there. Other imaginary stuff yeah, space travel and time travel and whatever, but zombies really never appealed to me. I don't watch any of the shows. I saw an analysis of a zombie outbreak on another forum that indicated that such an occurrence would only last about 3 years tops, and ol' Rick has been running around at least that long.
Roughly 2 years in the show.  Much longer in the comics.

And yeah, the zombies would get thinned out over time (and perhaps debilitated by rot and constant exposure to the elements).  In this setting, everyone who dies for any reason turns into a zombie, but even so, the uninfected human population nosedived and survivors continually kill zombies, so the zombie population isn't sustainable over a long period of time.

Hydra009

I just caught the last episode, and man, it was pretty horrible imho.  When the actual Walking Dead show comes back on, I'm going to drop this series harder than Star Trek Enterprise.

We start off to domestic squabbling as our survivors apparently live in the lap of luxury and have nothing better to do than to act like assholes the entire episode.

Asshole #1 chills in an outdoor pool like he's at Cancun before sneaking off and stealing medicine from a critical patient like a complete asshole.  Asshole #2 sits on the roof and thinks someone's alive outside the safe zone.  Let's say that's true.  So what?  Want to mount a rescue?  I agree with the dad there.  Leave it alone.  You're relatively safe, don't jeopardize that by doing something crazy like taking a pair of wire cutters and opening a hole in the only barrier against the zombies and walking around in zombieland like a complete idiot.  And here comes Asshole #3, doing just that.  Brilliant.

Meanwhile, the military is allegedly sending a bunch of sick people to a special camp where they'll get treated and almost certainly not get summarily executed.  We actually don't know for sure what they intend to do, and we get a lot of fearmongering from the survivors.  Survivors who simultaneously rely on military aid to stay alive and think the military is out to get them.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if all that turned out to be baseless paranoia?  But given that we know how this ends, it's much more likely that the injured really are being killed or abandoned.  And I'll probably get some flak for saying this, but that's not entirely a bad strategy.  People who are dying or injured to such an extent that they're unlikely to recover are dead weight at best and new zombies at worst.  Disposing of them is a fucked up and definitely a Shane thing to do, but it is somewhat understandable.  I wouldn't do that myself, but then again, a lot of what Rick's group does wouldn't even cross my mind in normal circumstances.  Besides, anything that could bring harm to Nick is okay in my book.

This show definitely hit a low point.  The pacing is there, finally.  And we get to see the main characters' personalities, finally.  But the problem there is that they're almost all unlikable assholes.  Nick's an asshole.  The mom's an idiotic and abusive asshole who probably sabotaged the community's only defense against the zombies.  Roof guy is an asshole who'll probably get someone killed.  The girl, I dunno what her problem is, but she carved up her arm like a psycho.  So she's an asshole, too.  The dad's a jogger who apparently is anti-gun in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, which is idiotic.  He's not quite an asshole, but he's getting there.

In summary, these people are bafflingly idiotic and complete assholes and I hope they all find their way to Terminus or whatever its equivalent is on the west coast.