The Next Battle: Religious Hospitals Right To Deny Procedures

Started by stromboli, August 24, 2015, 09:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

When I was way back about to get married to my Catholic wife, I agreed to go to Pre-Cana conference I was told by a doctor there when asked if a woman was found to have lung cancer and was pregnant, would you allow her to be treated for it which will abort the baby, or let her dies from cancer? He said it never happens, we are done here and left the room. Well it did happen, and I worked in Silver Cross hospital and saw it done where the woman succumbed to cancer while everyone was thrilled when they were able to save the child. Back then, there was no patient rights in a hospital, there is now, and any hospital that takes government money has to provide and go by government guidelines. Personal rights supersede religious rights in a secular society, as it should be.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Solitary on August 31, 2015, 04:33:32 PM
When I was way back about to get married to my Catholic wife, I agreed to go to Pre-Cana conference I was told by a doctor there when asked if a woman was found to have lung cancer and was pregnant, would you allow her to be treated for it which will abort the baby, or let her dies from cancer? He said it never happens, we are done here and left the room. Well it did happen, and I worked in Silver Cross hospital and saw it done where the woman succumbed to cancer while everyone was thrilled when they were able to save the child. Back then, there was no patient rights in a hospital, there is now, and any hospital that takes government money has to provide and go by government guidelines. Personal rights supersede religious rights in a secular society, as it should be.
The whole of this nonsense with organizations, including corporations being counted as a "person" needs to be strung up from a tree limb and strangled slowly, until it turns blue in the face, the black tongue protrudes, and there's a permanent erection - well f***, if you can't do this with such Catholic hospitals, then they ain't no persons with any personal rights!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Solitary

It seems like almost all religions now are more concerned with death rather than life, religious dogma rather that common sense and compassion.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Solitary on August 31, 2015, 04:49:06 PM
It seems like almost all religions now are more concerned with death rather than life, religious dogma rather that common sense and compassion.

Well that is what religions and belief systems are about. The Denial of Death. Great book by the way...google it and if given the chance read it.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

hrdlr110

Quote from: Termin on August 24, 2015, 09:46:57 PM
  It amazes me, the Catholic church has all these policies to encourage people to have more and more kids, and yet they also celebrate celibacy within the church for it's clergy and nuns.

I'd say they are well balanced then.  If you're extreme for one group,  extreme in the other direction is then required for the next group. Zen!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Solitary

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on August 31, 2015, 04:54:29 PM
Well that is what religions and belief systems are about. The Denial of Death. Great book by the way...google it and if given the chance read it.
Thank you, I have read it.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Solitary on August 31, 2015, 05:04:59 PM
Thank you, I have read it.

It is a classic. it should be required reading to all children in public schools.
 William S. Burroughs

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 30, 2015, 06:09:23 PM
Fuck libertarianism! You can either live in a country where the government guarantees your rights

That is so naive. I don't know whether I should laugh at it or cry about it. Let us talk about the real world.
 William S. Burroughs

stromboli

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 13, 2015, 01:22:46 AM
That is so naive. I don't know whether I should laugh at it or cry about it. Let us talk about the real world.

We have had long winded debates about libertarianism. Ended up pretty much everyone thinking the way they started out.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solitary on August 31, 2015, 04:49:06 PM

Ha, religion is all about control and discipline. The compassion is used as a façade to get new recruits or a diplomatic ploy to look proper in the eyes of gullible and naïve people.

Baruch

Josephpalazzo ... now who is being cynical?  And here on this string, you are making the point I am making on the other string.  Quantum string entanglement perhaps? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 13, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Josephpalazzo ... now who is being cynical?  And here on this string, you are making the point I am making on the other string.  Quantum string entanglement perhaps? ;-)
No, not being cynical at all.  In fact, as I see it, he is being too nice.  ALL Christian leaders have had political power and money at the heart of their 'belief'--period.  The leaders I speak of are those at the top of the religious food chain, not the typical lower level priest or minister--I've met several that were good people--at least as far as I could tell.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?