News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Started by josephpalazzo, September 12, 2015, 11:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

I guess I don't really care either way. I mostly use it when I see someone post more or less exactly what I was going to say or when someone makes an excellent point and there's really nothing for me to add to it. So rather than quote that person and say "I agree" or "Good point" I just like the post rather than spam up the topic.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 12, 2015, 01:48:07 PM
I guess I don't really care either way. I mostly use it when I see someone post more or less exactly what I was going to say or when someone makes an excellent point and there's really nothing for me to add to it. So rather than quote that person and say "I agree" or "Good point" I just like the post rather than spam up the topic.
I like the like button.  I use it to show I like an idea or statement.  If I super like an idea or statement (I really identify with it) I'll mention that.  Otherwise it is a shorthand way of saying I agree with it or it is a good idea--and I don't have to devote an entire post to tell them that. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 12, 2015, 01:45:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I liked posts when I didn't want or feel like quoting them before a I was a mod. Sometimes it was because I was just lazy and didn't want to type something and other times because there wasn't anything to add because the post was a good point...  And other times because anything I would say would be redundant and just cluttering the thread.

I like likes for those reasons and I liked them because of that before I was a mod.

Sent from your mom.

But then this^ is something else. It's not what I am saying.

I said why I don't like it. I don't care much really.

But I wrote thousands of posts here before we had the like system. And I know it affects the way and the amount of responses people give, shape the path conversation takes place.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

The Skeletal Atheist

Pros: you get to press a button.

Cons: we're all going to die someday, and that's just terrible.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 12, 2015, 02:20:43 PM
But then this^ is something else. It's not what I am saying.

I said why I don't like it. I don't care much really.

But I wrote thousands of posts here before we had the like system. And I know it affects the way and the amount of responses people give, shape the path conversation takes place.
Yeah.  I definitely see your point. I do see people say things for the likes...  Safe-ish comments that don't really contribute intellectually. I think the like count under our avatar is a bigger instigator of that type of thing though, in my opinion. I think the likes should stay, but I would be pleased if the like count disappeared.

If your saying things just to get your like count up and you don't actually have something to contribute, it's just fluff... 

Sent from your mom.

jonb

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on September 12, 2015, 02:37:11 PM
Pros: you get to press a button.

Cons: we're all going to die someday, and that's just terrible.

Death is preferable to pressing buttons for eternity though.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: jonb on September 12, 2015, 03:04:39 PM
Death is preferable to pressing buttons for eternity though.
Nice Stanley Parable reference lol

Sent from your mom.

Shiranu

Tempted to like all the posts in this thread just because I like them that much...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

Quote from: Shiranu on September 12, 2015, 03:26:04 PM
Tempted to like all the posts in this thread just because I like them that much...

Equal time. If we have a like button can we have a "fuck you to hell with a flaming dildo" button?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 12, 2015, 02:42:00 PM
I think the likes should stay, but I would be pleased if the like count disappeared.

I didn't think of that. Yeah, makes sense.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

jonb

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 12, 2015, 01:20:13 PM
Your position is different. You are a mod. Honetly, I haven't seen you exploiting the like button in an argument you are having about your personal opinions. You do that when there is a conflict as far as I see which is to prevent something going forward to a worse situation. To send a message.

I wasn't talking about that. I am talking about people that I know very well that don't read most posts longer than 5 lines, but liking posts of some other posters regulary, because they do not like the poster at the other 'side'. Mostly, it is very obvious to anyone who pays attention, because you can easily see that they have no idea what the conversation is about from what  they write. They repeat something you wrote 4 posts ago to you if they get in any conversation as if they are breaking something new to the thread.

I don't think we need to censure people for this, as more often than not the evidence of what they have done is only too obvious in the thread.
Its more often than not just a mistake though.

Smiley face type thing.

Hijiri Byakuren

I like having that feature around because I can express appreciation for a post while still following my rule of, "Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something."
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

I don't like them, was against them, never use them, never pay attention to who has what and don't really care. Of all the things an atheist forum would not need is a fucking "LIKE" button….one thing all atheists are fully aware of is they are not going to be "liked". Overcompensation? Oh well, I was wrong once before.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

jonb

Quote from: aitm on September 12, 2015, 07:00:09 PM
I don't like them, was against them, never use them, never pay attention to who has what and don't really care. Of all the things an atheist forum would not need is a fucking "LIKE" button….one thing all atheists are fully aware of is they are not going to be "liked". Overcompensation? Oh well, I was wrong once before.

That is not true in Britain
The way to guarantee being alone here is-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK0h2Fe-wQ

josephpalazzo

It looks like the "yes" will win...:-(